A couple of plays I am confused about?

4 hours ago, rdwoodpecker said:

Why was targeting not called?? Can Frost asked that they take a look? Can the booth official call down to head official and state they want to review this hit? 

Matt Millen was on my last reserve nerve going on and on about Lamar Jackson grabbing the jersey while barely saying anything about that helmet-to-helmet hit.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

QB sneak was probably the proper call, and Frost admitted that much after the game. I don’t think Frost got “cute” as some people have thought. He still went with a power run give to Mills (with a d-lineman) as his lead blocker. Illinois just blew up Nu’s left side of the line and made the tackle for loss. 

That play, Illinois shot the right gap the was vacated.  Had he not, Mills was in IMO. Sometimes teams "guess" right and get lucky.  

• Plus1 1

Any collegiate refs on this site? I really would like an answer for why when our kickoff died at the 3 that the Illini player ran up towards the ball and layed out of bounds and then touched the ball. Why was that spotted at the 35? The kickoff was inbounds, he chose to go OB and then recover. I understand if it is spotted at the 25 but not the 35.

Still hoping I get an official ruling on this.

thanks

Edited by rdwoodpecker
spelling
  • Plus1 1
Just now, rdwoodpecker said:

Any collegiate refs on this site? I really would like an answer for why when our kickoff died at the 3 that the Illini player ran up towards the ball and layed out of bounds and then touched the ball. Why was that spotted at the 35? The kickoff was inbounds, he chose to go OB and them recover. I understand if it is spotted at the 25 but not the 35.

thanks

The what did we learn thread has about 6 pages of explanation. TL;DR, if a player is out of bounds and touches the ball, the ball is out of bounds whether it's a kickoff or not. There happens to be a penalty for kicking it out of bounds unlike most other plays, so that's the call. The solution is to not kick it to the sideline unless it's going to the end zone. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Matt Millen was on my last reserve nerve going on and on about Lamar Jackson grabbing the jersey while barely saying anything about that helmet-to-helmet hit.

He was driving me crazy. He kept talking about the Husker defense being offsides on the sack by Domann, but didn't appear to watch the replay. Kugler tried to help by mentioning the DT may have moved sideways and wasn't offsides but Millen wouldn't have any of it. He seems to take a side and not budge. 

The kickoff thing is a weird loophole in the rule, at least in my opinion but that was the correct call.

The 2AM fumble/ incomplete pass is more problematic. Who says we don't recover if they don't blow the whistle? And also, if that is a fumble how did the ball fly so far beyond the line of scrimmage?

As for the missed PI holdings, helmet to helmet, bulldozing the long snapper, nope of those were as surprising as Stoll's immaculate clipping. It was a penalty and then it wasn't. I don't think I've ever seen that.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, kornhusker said:

Never heard art of the out of bounds rule on the kickoff.  I was thinking why isn’t there an illegal touching on kickoffs.  He went out of bounds on his own will and then touched the ball.

There is no such thing as illegal touching if a player is out of bounds when they touch the ball. That just makes the ball out of bounds. Always.

53 minutes ago, rdwoodpecker said:

Any collegiate refs on this site? I really would like an answer for why when our kickoff died at the 3 that the Illini player ran up towards the ball and layed out of bounds and then touched the ball. Why was that spotted at the 35? The kickoff was inbounds, he chose to go OB and then recover. I understand if it is spotted at the 25 but not the 35.

thanks

I think people are up in arms about this just because they were caught off guard, didn't know it was a rule, and it went against our team. If one of our players did it everyone would likely be having a good old time with it, but reality is, this is and has been a rule for ages.

Look at how many NFL examples there are in this video:

Again, there is no such thing as illegal touching if you're out of bounds. That just makes you and the ball out of bounds. Try to catch the ball as a receiver when you're out of bounds? The ball is out of bounds. Try to recover a fumble on defense when you're out of bounds? The ball is out of bounds. You can call it a 'loophole' I guess but it operates on the same logic on the kickoff as it does in any other scenario where a player is out of bands and touches the ball.

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

He was driving me crazy. He kept talking about the Husker defense being offsides on the sack by Domann, but didn't appear to watch the replay. Kugler tried to help by mentioning the DT may have moved sideways and wasn't offsides but Millen wouldn't have any of it. He seems to take a side and not budge. 

The new Ed Cunningham 

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, macroboy said:

The kickoff thing is a weird loophole in the rule, at least in my opinion but that was the correct call.

The 2AM fumble/ incomplete pass is more problematic. Who says we don't recover if they don't blow the whistle? And also, if that is a fumble how did the ball fly so far beyond the line of scrimmage?

As for the missed PI holdings, helmet to helmet, bulldozing the long snapper, nope of those were as surprising as Stoll's immaculate clipping. It was a penalty and then it wasn't. I don't think I've ever seen that.

I agree on the 2AM fumble call. I really saw no detectable difference between his throw and and the one moments later that Illinois had. I thought they were both clearly incomplete passes. Both passes seemed to be forced forward by the hand. If 2AM's was a fumble, how did it have such a forceful trajectory forward?

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Landlord said:

There is no such thing as illegal touching if a player is out of bounds when they touch the ball. That just makes the ball out of bounds. Always.

I think people are up in arms about this just because they were caught off guard, didn't know it was a rule, and it went against our team. If one of our players did it everyone would likely be having a good old time with it, but reality is, this is and has been a rule for ages.

Look at how many NFL examples there are in this video:

Again, there is no such thing as illegal touching if you're out of bounds. That just makes you and the ball out of bounds. Try to catch the ball as a receiver when you're out of bounds? The ball is out of bounds. Try to recover a fumble on defense when you're out of bounds? The ball is out of bounds. You can call it a 'loophole' I guess but it operates on the same logic on the kickoff as it does in any other scenario where a player is out of bands and touches the ball.

They should change the rule to say if the kick returner is out of bounds and touched the ball that is inbounds , the ball is down at that spot. Not that complicated. 

A receiver who goes out and comes back in can’t catch the ball.That could also be the rule here...can’t touch it, live ball or illegal touching penalty.

As it is ,it’s just stupid.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

They should change the rule to say if the kick returner is out of bounds and touched the ball that is inbounds , the ball is down at that spot. Not that complicated. 

No disagreement here, I like seeing the smart heads up play by players but also would be totally good with that rule change.

29 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

A receiver who goes out and comes back in can’t catch the ball.That could also be the rule here...can’t touch it, live ball or illegal touching penalty.

Okay, but, the returner didn't come back in and catch the ball. Very confusing why people keep bringing up illegal touching when it has nothing to do with this situation.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Landlord said:

No disagreement here, I like seeing the smart heads up play by players but also would be totally good with that rule change.

Okay, but, the returner didn't come back in and catch the ball. Very confusing why people keep bringing up illegal touching when it has nothing to do with this situation.

I know, I was just clarifying the receiver thing that a few guys alluded to. 

The easiest thing would be to just call it down where he touched it.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

The what did we learn thread has about 6 pages of explanation. TL;DR, if a player is out of bounds and touches the ball, the ball is out of bounds whether it's a kickoff or not. There happens to be a penalty for kicking it out of bounds unlike most other plays, so that's the call. The solution is to not kick it to the sideline unless it's going to the end zone. 

Or change the F-ing rule...… This is not directed towards you 

49 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree on the 2AM fumble call. I really saw no detectable difference between his throw and and the one moments later that Illinois had. I thought they were both clearly incomplete passes. Both passes seemed to be forced forward by the hand. If 2AM's was a fumble, how did it have such a forceful trajectory forward?

The difference is control of the ball.  The defender knocked the ball loose from Martinez’s hand and he basically pushed the ball forward.  The Illinois QB still had control of the ball as his hand came forward.

• Plus1 3