A couple of plays I am confused about?

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The rules of golf and football are completely different.  The rules of golf have no relevancy to this discussion.

In football, any player standing out of bounds touching a loose ball makes the ball out of bounds.  It does not matter where the ball's location is.  The ball could be thrown and the ball is 3 feet from being "out of bounds", but if it's touched by a legal player who is out of bounds, the ball is considered out of bounds.  Some of you guys need to read the rule book.  https://cfo.arbitersports.com/Groups/104777/Library/files/2014 Plays inbounds outofbounds.pdf  

No one...literally no one in this thread...is saying they did not follow the rule. Everyone...except you...is saying the rule is stupid 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

No one...literally no one in this thread...is saying they did not follow the rule. Everyone...except you...is saying the rule is stupid 

IMO, I think the rule makes perfect sense, and the people on this board are so butt hurt about it because the play happened against Nebraska.  If it were the other way around, the fans would be thinking "what a smart, heads-up play by the Huskers!!!"

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

IMO, I think the rule makes perfect sense, and the people on this board are so butt hurt about it because the play happened against Nebraska.  If it were the other way around, the fans would be thinking "what a smart, heads-up play by the Huskers!!!"

maybe I would be the hold out...it is a stupid/nonsensical rule...were the Huskers the beneficiary, I would have gladly accepted the additional yardage and still said "that is one stupid rule..."

• Plus1 4
13 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Cool, however it never went OB

Have you ever heard the one about..... Who's on first?

Exactly, the ball stopped dead.  The player went OB, came back in while still OB and "downed" the ball that had already stopped.  A total bulls#!t technicality that shouldn't have happened.

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It was a smart heads up play by the Illinois player.  I have seen it done by some other team this year in a game and had never seen it at any other times.  Players are being coached to do this.  

That doesn't mean it is right.  If this little move is used a lot more in the future,  it will probably be addressed in a rules meeting in the next couple of years. 

That penalty against Nebraska counted as a 23 yard penalty and gave them the ball on the 35.  

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, NUinID said:

It was a smart heads up play by the Illinois player.  I have seen it done by some other team this year in a game and had never seen it at any other times.  Players are being coached to do this.  

That doesn't mean it is right.  If this little move is used a lot more in the future,  it will probably be addressed in a rules meeting in the next couple of years. 

That penalty against Nebraska counted as a 23 yard penalty and gave them the ball on the 35.  

See that's the thing, it's ruled as a kick going out of bounds. I think it should be it's own and have it's own yardage such as 5, 10 or 15.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

See that's the thing, it's ruled as a kick going out of bounds. I think it should be it's own and have it's own yardage such as 5, 10 or 15.

I think the rule should be changed so that it can't happen on a kickoff. The kickoff team is doing nothing wrong.  If fact if you could ask most kickers and ST coaches where is the ideal place to put the ball if it doesn't go into the end zone they would say to have it die inside the 10 along the sideline.  Watch any OSU game that UM coached and they always tried to kick the ball into a corner inside the 10.  

I compliment coaches for realizing that by standing OB and touching the ball on a kickoff that they can get a penalty and get the ball at the 35 instead of inside the 15, but it is penalizing a kickoff team for actually doing something well.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

This was a really smart move by the Illinois player.  It also is dumb that it rules that way.  It’s one of those things where the rules don’t align with common sense.  My question is, can a KR just play hot potato with the ball until he is out of bounds and then possess the ball and get the ball at the 35?

The kickoff team did do something wrong - they kicked the ball close enough to the sideline where an out of bounds player can touch the ball and make it dead and a rightful penalty. 

Don't kick it that close to the sideline. That rule exists, so if you put the ball in that position, that is not doing something well as the kickoff team, that is making a mistake that cost your team a penalty.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1