Guest picker for College Gameday

BoNeyard

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it would be a great gesture, but how your post is worded, you make her out to be a villian if she doesn't.  Whether you feel that way or not, I am sure there are people who would feel that way, and those people are wrong.  

I can see that.  I guess i think it would be uncool like she had an awesome opportunity to lift a guy up who is in two tough spots.  1)just lost his dad 2) out for the year.  uncool as in man she kinda blew it not uncool like she can go kick rocks forever.  Obviously most of this feeling is because she is a husker and husker fan not just some random celebrity 

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Would be really cool if Gabrielle Union took him up on this offer.

This is....really weird. Feel a lot for Christian, but don't understand why anyone would want to intentionally and actively make a public spectacle out of something personal like this. It'd be great and an awesome story if it came across organically, but I can't help but feel pretty uncomfortable with someone trying to achieve this for themselves. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

This is....really weird. Feel a lot for Christian, but don't understand why anyone would want to intentionally and actively make a public spectacle out of something personal like this. It'd be great and an awesome story if it came across organically, but I can't help but feel pretty uncomfortable with someone trying to achieve this for themselves. 

People grieve in different ways.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Shame on him for wanting to honor his father and share their bond to the college football world! 

I'm probably going to catch some s#!t for typing this, but I kinda agree with what Landlord is saying.  I don't think he is stating not to do it, just that it was odd how it transpired.  This potentially puts Gabriel in a awkward position in which she is going to have to talk about this tragedy instead of walking to the stage all pumped up talking about college football.  I just don't think this is the format that should be used to honor the passing of a parent of one of our players.  

5 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I'm probably going to catch some s#!t for typing this, but I kinda agree with what Landlord is saying.  I don't think he is stating not to do it, just that it was odd how it transpired.  This potentially puts Gabriel in a awkward position in which she is going to have to talk about this tragedy instead of walking to the stage all pumped up talking about college football.  I just don't think this is the format that should be used to honor the passing of a parent of one of our players.  

I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote my post so I didn't really get all my thoughts out, but you're picking up on something that I was thinking but didn't articulate. His tweet puts a huge burden of expectation on someone who frankly is a stranger and didn't ask for it. That would be a very uncomfortable place to have to navigate as a celebrity with someone you don't know approaching you with something like that. 

She either was/is genuinely very cool with it, in which case good for her, or might think she doesn't really have any other way out of it without potentially looking bad or causing some bad PR or news for a reason she doesn't want. Like she should be completely within her rights to decline if she wants, but you know there'd be people writing op-eds with, "Gabrielle Union Refuses Injured Football Player's Wish to Honor His Late Father on Live Television" headlines if she didn't feel comfortable.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote my post so I didn't really get all my thoughts out, but you're picking up on something that I was thinking but didn't articulate. His tweet puts a huge burden of expectation on someone who frankly is a stranger and didn't ask for it. That would be a very uncomfortable place to have to navigate as a celebrity with someone you don't know approaching you with something like that. 

She either was/is genuinely very cool with it, in which case good for her, or might think she doesn't really have any other way out of it without potentially looking bad or causing some bad PR or news for a reason she doesn't want. Like she should be completely within her rights to decline if she wants, but you know there'd be people writing op-eds with, "Gabrielle Union Refuses Injured Football Player's Wish to Honor His Late Father on Live Television" headlines if she didn't feel comfortable.

Who gives a s#!t man.  With all he’s been through, let him have his moment.  He’s shooting his shot to honor his dad and I’m sure she’s more than happy to do it.  I can’t think of a single better jersey for her to wear on Saturday to represent everything Nebraska stands for.  I don’t fault him one bit for it.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I am guessing that a Husker fan that does tons of charity work and enjoys helping people out is totally put off by the fact that a kid asked her to wear his jersey to honor his dad.

I bet she ends up cancelling and tells ESPN that she is busy on Saturday.

I bet all those UGA fans that didn't know the Ark St coach but still wore pink to hone his dead wife were cringing the entire game.  

Shoot, what about all those teams that put flowers on the 27 yard line for Sam F a few years ago?  Ugggg, gross!  I bet they HATED that.

Just in case you forgot, some of you nerds were PISSED when you thought Michigan and Jimmy H didn't do any type of tribute to him that season, even though they did.

Oh and if she wore a Sam jersey...would that be okay??

All those causes are great, and being gracious and honoring a worthy cause is never the wrong thing to do. However, I think the point Landlord was making was that some celebrities might get requests for certain causes all the time, and they can't feasibly go out of their way to support them all. Therefore, there was the potential for a public request like Gaylord's to put her in an awkward position. What if she already had something even more magnanimous planned and she couldn't do it?

Fortunately, it is all going to work out. Gabby U is awesome. Christian Gaylord is awesome. Gameday in Lincoln is awesome. Everything is awesome. 

• Plus1 1