Guest picker for College Gameday

BoNeyard

15 minutes ago, Ulty said:

All those causes are great, and being gracious and honoring a worthy cause is never the wrong thing to do. However, I think the point Landlord was making was that some celebrities might get requests for certain causes all the time, and they can't feasibly go out of their way to support them all. Therefore, there was the potential for a public request like Gaylord's to put her in an awkward position. What if she already had something even more magnanimous planned and she couldn't do it?

Fortunately, it is all going to work out. Gabby U is awesome. Christian Gaylord is awesome. Gameday in Lincoln is awesome. Everything is awesome. 

I totally get that, but she didn't have anything else planned because she asked for help with picking a jersey. 

And I don't mean it to sound snotty but it is such a ridiculous thing to complain about.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

IMO, I don't think a whole heck of a lot of attention (relatively speaking) will be put onto the passing of Christian's father. I'm almost certain it will be mentioned to some capacity.

If I were the producer, I'd run a couple mentions or brief segments early in the show and even announce then that GU is wearing a jersey to honor his father. That way, when it comes time for all the fun stuff and game picks, the attention can be fully on that in order to build suspense and excitement. Ultimately, I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal.

If I were in Christian's shoes, I think it'd be pretty special for GU to do something like that, but everybody grieves in different ways.

• Plus1 2

That's a very nice gesture by Gabrielle Union, but I whole heartedly agree with Landlord. Dumping this emotional burden onto a stranger is inconsiderate and it would be extremely difficult for Union to decline Christian's request in a graceful way. In general, publicizing personal tragedy just strikes me as odd. I understand wanting to honor one's father, but there are much better ways. I am not sure what shining the public spotlight on him accomplishes.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Caveman said:

That's a very nice gesture by Gabrielle Union, but I whole heartedly agree with Landlord. Dumping this emotional burden onto a stranger is inconsiderate and it would be extremely difficult for Union to decline Christian's request in a graceful way. In general, publicizing personal tragedy just strikes me as odd. I understand wanting to honor one's father, but there are much better ways. I am not sure what shining the public spotlight on him accomplishes.

So what if one of his teammates had asked for him??

56 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Dumping this emotional burden onto a stranger is inconsiderate and it would be extremely difficult for Union to decline Christian's request in a graceful way. In general, publicizing personal tragedy just strikes me as odd.

I think that's a fair point. Saying "no" would be a bad look to some unless there was some other cause she would be supporting, so it could have been a little awkward. I doubt Christian intended that though, even if it's a reasonable interpretation.

But, at the same time, GU did ask for suggestions publicly. Perhaps this wasn't quite what anyone expected or anticipated, but the door was opened up.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Caveman said:

That's a very nice gesture by Gabrielle Union, but I whole heartedly agree with Landlord. Dumping this emotional burden onto a stranger is inconsiderate and it would be extremely difficult for Union to decline Christian's request in a graceful way.

She literally asked Husker nation which jersey she should wear.  Naturally people including Christian Gaylord were able to respond.  Obviously she wanted to wear something with some sort of significance and with some sort of meaning by her asking everyone what jersey should she wear.

11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think that's a fair point. Saying "no" would be a bad look to some unless there was some other cause she would be supporting, so it could have been a little awkward. I doubt Christian intended that though, even if it's a reasonable interpretation.

But, at the same time, GU did ask for suggestions publicly. Perhaps this wasn't quite what anyone expected or anticipated, but the door was opened up.

While it put GU in a tough spot, I can get why Christian asked.

Dudes season ends suddenly with an injury and then dad dies. 

His dads funeral is on Saturday and so I think its his way of trying to share to the world what his dad meant.

Its a great story and honestly what Gabrielle was probably looking for. She loves Husker nation and this is a great way to highlight what it means to be a Husker.

I hope gameday does a story on it. 

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Shoot, what about all those teams that put flowers on the 27 yard line for Sam F a few years ago?  Ugggg, gross!  I bet they HATED that.

It would have been weird if Sam's parents tweeted, "Hey coaches at Oregon, Illinois, Iowa, and Fresno - our son tragically passed away and we would be honored if you would place flowers at the 27 yard line and also gift our team jerseys with our son's number on them."

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

And I don't mean it to sound snotty but it is such a ridiculous thing to complain about.

Who's complaining, teach? 

43 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

That would be pretty different. I don't think there's anything wrong with her wearing it, in fact I think that's a pretty neat gesture and why I love cfb. 

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Can you clarify your question?

32 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

She literally asked Husker nation which jersey she should wear.  Naturally people including Christian Gaylord were able to respond.  Obviously she wanted to wear something with some sort of significance and with some sort of meaning by her asking everyone what jersey should she wear.

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

She was literally asking the public which jersey to where.  I'm sure she wasn't dreading the possibility of someone suggesting something meaningful.  Sheesh.

I'm not a mind reader, but she was probably wanting to know who she should pick between Martinez, Spielman, Robinson, and Touchdown Tommie. Now she will likely have to discuss someone else's personal tragedy and extol the virtues of a man she has never met.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It would have been weird if Sam's parents tweeted, "Hey coaches at Oregon, Illinois, Iowa, and Fresno - our son tragically passed away and we would be honored if you would place flowers at the 27 yard line and also gift our team jerseys with our son's number on them."

Who's complaining, teach? 

That would be pretty different. I don't think there's anything wrong with her wearing it, in fact I think that's a pretty neat gesture and why I love cfb. 

This guy I know, John coxtolstoy...you wouldn't know him.