Jojo's a bad man

Landlord

6 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

That was a nice hit. I did want to ask though, I thought for it to be encroachment the dline had to break the plane of the ball and it never looked like Daniels did. The announcer kept calling it a missed call.

Millen ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. I saw the same thing, it was close but I think he stayed back. It's just hilarious how their line handled it - if he was in the neutral zone, flinching to draw the call works. So does snapping the ball and letting the QB chuck it deep. In neither case is it smart to then remain in your stance as a lineman - even if he was offsides, snapping it means the play is live and your QB won't like the 5 yards in return for getting lit up. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
16 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

That was a nice hit. I did want to ask though, I thought for it to be encroachment the dline had to break the plane of the ball and it never looked like Daniels did. The announcer kept calling it a missed call.

That's right for encroachment but I think there's some penalty against defensive line where you're not allowed to try and fake out the offense with a flinch or twitch. I'm not sure what it is but Brock Huard pointed out that Daniels got away with that once against Colorado, and the announcers were talking about how it was a savvy veteran play but not legal.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That's right for encroachment but I think there's some penalty against defensive line where you're not allowed to try and fake out the offense with a flinch or twitch. I'm not sure what it is but Brock Huard pointed out that Daniels got away with that once against Colorado, and the announcers were talking about how it was a savvy veteran play but not legal.

I believe what you're referring to is a Neutral Zone Infraction, defensive player moves into the neutral zone and causes an offensive player to move. However, it still requires the defensive player being in the neutral zone (linebackers jumping up and back and all around doesn't draw this) and I don't think Daniels did. Plus, I believe by rule it needs to make the offensive lineman move and they never did the center just snapped it. Had the guard moved in reaction to Daniels they might have got the call, but no one did.

1 hour ago, CalhounHusker said:

The announcers for the Illinois game, like the refs, aren't the best in the B1G.