If Trump is out - Who Should GOP nominate

Assumption # 1 - Trump gets impeached, evidence is overwhelming. The Senate convicts (some GOP senator said 30 GOP senators would

probably vote to convict if the ballot was secret).  Trump is out.

Then what - we got 3 'third tier' candidates in the race now.  Who do you think will run and who should the GOP nominate to do the following:

1. Clean up their Trump image

2. Beat Warren or Biden - most likely winners on the Dem side (I'm thinking Warren)

Assumption # 2:  House impeaches, Senate does not convict.  Question: What does the GOP do now?

1.   Roll with Trump or

2.  Push a high profile candidate or two to enter the race and secure the nomination - while encouraging Trump to retire after one term. 

My take:

Assumption # 1:  I don't think the GOP can  clean up their image this election cycle even wt Trump off the ticket. IF Pence isn't caught up in the scandal, he will have been tied

to close to Trump.  He had his chance to jump ship after the Access Hollywood tapes came out and didn't.   I do think he will run on his own to capture the

Trump vote regardless.   

I don't know if Romney or Kasich would have the support in this climate to try to be a moderating candidate.  Perhaps there is a governor who would try -

Outside of Romney or Kasich, I can't think of someone on a national scale who would run that is remotely acceptable.  Possibly former Indiana Gov

Mitch Daniels.  Too many of the 2016 candidates have adulterated themselves with Trump.  Rubio came out looking small - not ready for  prime time. 

Assumption # 2:   I think the GOP will roll with Trump.  He has made the GOP what it is today.  In my opinion - let the GOP and Trump suffer the consequences

and go down in flames if the GOP sticks with Trump.    I also think that if Trump isn't convicted, it will all be blamed on a Dem witch hunt and he will arrogantly continue

in his present ways - more emboldened than ever.  He won't settle for a 'one and done' term and will run for re-election regardless of what the polls say. 

I can see someone like Dan Crenshaw getting the backing of the GOP.  Wounded Navy vet, would bring in the next generation of Repubs.  He is really young, and they may want to keep him as the face for a lot longer, but I can see in the turmoil, him being a strong candidate.

17 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Anyone think that Sasse accelerates his plans and jumps in if Trump gets the boot? 

Ding, ding, ding! 

It's pretty "convenient" that he's always one of the first R's to speak out against Trump, but never actually do anything about. That way, he's just anti-Trump enough to pull in some independent votes, and just pro-Trump enough to retain most of Trump's base. Benny's a pretty sly fox.

I read in a story about Sasse's comments on the whistleblower that they called him "an occasional critic" of Trump.

I laughed because it was so exactly right. Just every once in a while he offers up enough mealy-mouthed disagreement with something Trump says or does because he wants to convince you he's a different, more mature type of Republican.

The problem is whenever push comes to shove he's never used even one iota of his power to check Trump in any way.

Even if he were a different brand of Republican, he lacks the courage of his convictions and chooses to do what is politically expedient instead of what is best for our country, which really means he's just a pathetic enabler.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1