NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

Nebraska is set to unveil plans this week on a new training facility that will jump NU to the cutting edge of a national arms race, multiple sources tell the Journal Star. A news conference is expected to take place Friday afternoon to lay out the initial details of the project, which is expected to come with a price tag in the neighborhood of $150 million. 

The facility is expected to sit where the Ed Weir Track and Field Stadium is currently located, off the Northeast corner of Memorial Stadium, allowing the building to work in concert with both the Hawks Championship Indoor facility and the north end of Memorial Stadium. The NU track and field program is expected to relocate to a new venue on UNL’s Innovation Campus.

Nebraska is teaming with HNTB, a national architecture and design firm, on the project, two sources told the Journal Star. An HNTB spokesperson declined comment on the project's status. 

HNTB has a long history in designing these types of jobs. It worked on recently completed complexes at LSU and Illinois and has worked with Purdue, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan and many others in recent years. HNTB has also worked on projects at Nebraska like the East Stadium upgrades and the new gymnastics complex. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

What are some of the $ numbers on the other major projects lately? I think I saw Clemson's was $55 mil, LSU was $28 mil. $150 seems like a monstrous number compared to those.

Georgie just did $174 mil

From $174 million in facility upgrades, to spending more money on recruiting than any other FBS program, to paying Smart and his assistant coaches more than $13 million per season, the Georgia athletic department is making the financial investment many believed it needed to compete with Alabama in the SEC and with other traditional powers nationally. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27647608/inside-georgia-200-million-quest-take-alabama

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, spurs1990 said:

Gotcha, thanks! If Georgia is right at about the top for spending that puts our number pretty close to there too I'd imagine.

That was the largest I could find, so ya I think we're pushing near the top. Clemson's $55 mil was part of $222.4 mil "athletic facility upgrades" so that includes more than just football. Looks like Georgia's number included some stadium stuff too, so the $150 for NU may not be just football.