NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

I'm sorry but you don't design a building and not know what the inside is going to detail.   They should have an idea on weight room size, locker room size and such.    The only way I can see them not knowing right now is if this is just an artists rendering and they do not even have it "designed" yet.  

5 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I'm sorry but you don't design a building and not know what the inside is going to detail.   They should have an idea on weight room size, locker room size and such.    The only way I can see them not knowing right now is if this is just an artists rendering and they do not even have it "designed" yet.  

My guess is they know what they need square footage wise or at least what they have to work with but wanting to get this out before Gameday, they didnt have a time to get an artist to put pictures together.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Per another LJS article... "Nebraska track coach Gary Pepin wasn’t part of the meetings about the location of a new athletic department facility that will be the home of the football team, but he had an idea the site of the school’s outdoor track and field stadium was in jeopardy."

Ouch.

He’s getting a brand new facility. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Per another LJS article... "Nebraska track coach Gary Pepin wasn’t part of the meetings about the location of a new athletic department facility that will be the home of the football team, but he had an idea the site of the school’s outdoor track and field stadium was in jeopardy."

Ouch.

The new outdoor track is going to be pretty much across the street from the Bob Devaney Center, which is where the indoor track is, along with the track & field coaches offices. This should be a nice upgrade for them.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

The new outdoor track is going to be pretty much across the street from the Bob Devaney Center, which is where the indoor track is, along with the track & field coaches offices. This should be a nice upgrade for them.

Oh, for sure. I just feel bad for a coach as well-respected as Pepin getting excluded from the conversations.

@schriznoeder I think a lot of it is just that this is a preliminary design. They probably haven't started on the design of the new track stadium, so they haven't really asked Pepin what he needs yet. Frankly, this announcement was probably rushed a bit to get it out there for the College Gameday publicity.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Toe said:

@schriznoeder I think a lot of it is just that this is a preliminary design. They probably haven't started on the design of the new track stadium, so they haven't really asked Pepin what he needs yet. Frankly, this announcement was probably rushed a bit to get it out there for the College Gameday publicity.

I wasn't talking about the new outdoor track facility at all. I was talking about the current outdoor track facility - Ed Weir Track. The athletic department was making all these grand plans to build a brand-new football facility smack dab on Ed Weir Track, but failed to invite the one person who would most impacted by said brand-new football facility - Gary Pepin. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm pretty sure that's the new vertical entrance to north stadium they're mentioning.

Probably, but notice that there's two floors on it that are above the top of the stands. Could be space for some new suites or something.

338kXjH.png

@schriznoeder I know that. I get your point, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

34 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

I wasn't talking about the new outdoor track facility at all. I was talking about the current outdoor track facility - Ed Weir Track. The athletic department was making all these grand plans to build a brand-new football facility smack dab on Ed Weir Track, but failed to invite the one person who would most impacted by said brand-new football facility - Gary Pepin. 

He's probably more concerned with the location of the new track, not the old one.

Speaking of which, it makes perfect sense to put it closer to the indoor facility where Pepin spends most of his time. I have no idea what they're planning for Innovation Campus, but here are the two most likely locations for the new track, near as I can guess.

I also included (outlined in red) the new Gymnastics training facility going up at Devaney right now.

9ysXqbW.png

EDIT - I've heard some people speculate that they would maybe put the new track somewhere near the soccer field. There is no room for that, at all.  Here's how crowded that little area is already.  It makes most sense to put the track where the old horse racing track was. There's better parking, and a pretty decent space with leveled ground.

ZwbgP3l.png

• Plus1 3