NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

1) I'd gladly shovel $80 to the University for this project. The ROI on this will be well worth it in terms of more than just money.

2) Everyone is welcome to say whatever they want, but I hope David Burn and others realize that an $80 investment won't make his opinions & criticisms carry much weight...

Recreational weed to the rescue!  Help pay for the building, lower property taxes, less risk of players getting busted for Gary Green.  It's a win!  :D

• Plus1 2

I drove from Palm Springs to Lincoln for the Ohio State game.  Disappointed in the game but not the fans.  Many in the stadium as the clock ran out.  Down 48-7 and still cheering.  Was very good to see.

As to the stadium, still the same filthy place it was the last time I was there, for Texas and Nebraska.  We paid a lot for tickets and sat in section 131.  We had seats in the middle of the row.  People on both sides, and most of the row were over 200 pounds and up.  Squished together so you had to stand sideways to even have room.  One couple, could not even stand in front of the seats they had paid for.  The guy had to stand behind his wife in the next row.   The women's restroom was disgusting according to the wife.  I never use them because of the pig stye situation I have encountered on past visits.   The game was bad, the fans absolutely fantastic.  But the experience was terrible.   I don't come back for games often, this was the last time.   For the money they make, they need to consider the fan experience I think.  

The following weekend we attended the Missouri/Troy State game.  Seats seemed to be larger between the lines, far less people in the stands.  But it was enjoyable.  Restrooms were very clean and maintained.

The next day we drove to Arrowhead and watched the Chiefs play.  Stadium was immaculate, rest rooms the same.   Parking was quite difficult to get out of. 

Overall a great week, but unfortunately the low point was the attendance of the game at the place I love.  We don't need to spend millions upon millions for spoiled teenagers.  Some of the money should go to improving the fan experience.  I know the old girl is old, but something needs to be done about the restrooms.  If I owned a business in the state that was operated like that, it would be closed.  It was disgusting and we are better than that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I had thought I read a reference to this earlier but I see the Athletic Department is paying Hank Bounds $250k to lead the fundraising effort.  That's a big chunk.  He apparently has a lot of pull.

Also, word is they have significantly more of the money raised than Moos' $40M number he threw out earlier this week.

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I had thought I read a reference to this earlier but I see the Athletic Department is paying Hank Bounds $250k to lead the fundraising effort.  That's a big chunk.  He apparently has a lot of pull.

Also, word is they have significantly more of the money raised than Moos' $40M number he threw out earlier this week.

Well, if they have $50M out of $150M that means the $80 we were each gonna have to pay has already been reduced to $53.33 ;) 

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I thought this was all possible because we are making so much from the Big Ten?

How much are they saying they need to fund raise for?

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I thought this was all possible because we are making so much from the Big Ten?

How much are they saying they need to fund raise for?

I think when they announced it they were talking about getting donations for roughly $100M.

My thought is there is no way they would stop there.  They'll take whatever they can get (more or less than that number) and have no issue paying for the rest of it out of their own pocket.  They probably just threw out a number high enough to get people to donate toward it but low enough that they don't look too desperate or too short of what they were trying to raise.

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, skersfan said:

I drove from Palm Springs to Lincoln for the Ohio State game.  Disappointed in the game but not the fans.  Many in the stadium as the clock ran out.  Down 48-7 and still cheering.  Was very good to see.

As to the stadium, still the same filthy place it was the last time I was there, for Texas and Nebraska.  We paid a lot for tickets and sat in section 131.  We had seats in the middle of the row.  People on both sides, and most of the row were over 200 pounds and up.  Squished together so you had to stand sideways to even have room.  One couple, could not even stand in front of the seats they had paid for.  The guy had to stand behind his wife in the next row.   The women's restroom was disgusting according to the wife.  I never use them because of the pig stye situation I have encountered on past visits.   The game was bad, the fans absolutely fantastic.  But the experience was terrible.   I don't come back for games often, this was the last time.   For the money they make, they need to consider the fan experience I think.  

The following weekend we attended the Missouri/Troy State game.  Seats seemed to be larger between the lines, far less people in the stands.  But it was enjoyable.  Restrooms were very clean and maintained.

The next day we drove to Arrowhead and watched the Chiefs play.  Stadium was immaculate, rest rooms the same.   Parking was quite difficult to get out of. 

Overall a great week, but unfortunately the low point was the attendance of the game at the place I love.  We don't need to spend millions upon millions for spoiled teenagers.  Some of the money should go to improving the fan experience.  I know the old girl is old, but something needs to be done about the restrooms.  If I owned a business in the state that was operated like that, it would be closed.  It was disgusting and we are better than that. 

I agree with the restroom and seating situation.  In 2019 there should not be trough-style urinals in existence.  Even mediocre small town bars in West Nowhere, Nebraska have gotten rid of them.  Expansion and overhaul there.  If Omaha area gas stations can put TVs over the pumps, maybe little TVs with ads and game action are possible too.  Any extra sound to drown out the guy auditioning for the Tower of Power horn section in the next stall over is alright by me as well.  I also hope for stadium seating everywhere.  Fact is we are overweight and some morbidly obese compared to 90 years ago.  The seats have to reflect that fact and I don't think the reduced seating capacity is an issue.

What would be nice (but will never happen) is if they would expand south stadium to have a balcony and add more seating.  BUT...instead of squeezing as many people in as absolutely possible....spread people out more.  So, the result would be some added capacity, but some added room for the existing seats too.  That would help eliminate the fear of over building and losing the sellout streak.

But...that won't happen because it doesn't bring in maximum $$.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What would be nice (but will never happen) is if they would expand south stadium to have a balcony and add more seating.  BUT...instead of squeezing as many people in as absolutely possible....spread people out more.  So, the result would be some added capacity, but some added room for the existing seats too.  That would help eliminate the fear of over building and losing the sellout streak.

But...that won't happen because it doesn't bring in maximum $$.

I don't see any way that they'll completely rework South Stadium.

But they have expanded the seats a couple times in recent years (decreasing capacity).