NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find it interesting that very little ever is done to the south stadium to improve fan access to bathrooms, concessions, upper levels...etc.  It seems to me the North stadium has been upgraded several times and nothing in the south.

Probably because you need to demolish one of the school buildings to actually be able do anything of substance. Not to mention Avery Hall (where all the math classes are) is in extremely close proximity to South Stadium. Short of tearing down the stands and starting over, there's not too much that can be done to improve South.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Probably because you need to demolish one of the school buildings to actually be able do anything of substance. Not to mention Avery Hall (where all the math classes are) is in extremely close proximity to South Stadium. Short of tearing down the stands and starting over, there's not too much that can be done to improve South.

Naaa...I don't buy that.  the building that used to be the football offices and is now part of the math department, could be built around....or those functions moved to another building.  For instance, we have built a new business college since they moved here so the business school moved out of their old building.  That was an opportunity for the math department to move into it.  We have major MAJOR building projects all over campus that these classes could have been a part of. 

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Naaa...I don't buy that.  the building that used to be the football offices and is now part of the math department, could be built around....or those functions moved to another building.  For instance, we have built a new business college since they moved here so the business school moved out of their old building.  That was an opportunity for the math department to move into it.  We have major MAJOR building projects all over campus that these classes could have been a part of. 

Well, the former football offices are for computer science engineering, and the university just announced an expansion to the engineer building on 16th and Vine. So maybe they are planning to move out of south stadium in the future.

Prior to the new CSE building computer related classes were in the basement of Avery Hall. Avery is predominantly math (it has the offices for math faculty there), but it also houses classes for arts, history, literature, etc. The university has been growing it's student population. So, it's not like they could just put the classes back in there they need more space.

I mean you can build some new concession and bathroom areas, but it seems pointless until that building is gone. Or like I said you year down everything and start new.

1 hour ago, desertshox said:

oh man, tear down the south stadium and avery hall then they can rebuild avery hall as part of south stadium. but instead of having math classes there only the athletes will have all their classes in one building. the professors will just have to leave their offices and classrooms to go teach.

Most of the Athletes have their communication major classes across the way in Old Father. I remember those classes being a joke. :lol:

4 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I dont think we would need to add onto south stadium,  just inclose it and upgrade consessions, bathrooms and access.  

Not sure about enclosing it but it will for sure be improvements in the last three things you listed.  

I would be shocked if it's much more than that.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not sure about enclosing it but it will for sure be improvements in the last three things you listed.  

I would be shocked if it's much more than that.

I've looked on line and can't seem to find a picture of south stadium from the outside.  But, I was thinking the same thing as Stumpy.  

I'm not sure why they can't enclose it, put another level in half way up that would have concessions, bathrooms...etc.  In my mind, this level could be put in right above the existing building.  (that is if they really can't or don't want to tear it down.)  In a perfect world, those class rooms/offices would be moved somewhere else into a new building.

This is basically what they did with North Stadium.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've looked on line and can't seem to find a picture of south stadium from the outside.  But, I was thinking the same thing as Stumpy.  
I'm not sure why they can't enclose it, put another level in half way up that would have concessions, bathrooms...etc.  In my mind, this level could be put in right above the existing building.  (that is if they really can't or don't want to tear it down.)  In a perfect world, those class rooms/offices would be moved somewhere else into a new building.

This is basically what they did with North Stadium.

I don't think there's any reason why they *couldn't* enclose it.  I just don't know if that's what they're thinking.

I'm sure it possible to move whatever is in that building to another place on campus.  Then they could do whatever underneath the existing seating.  

I just don't see them doing anything with the stadium itself.  Add/remodel/whatever underneath to give better access to the seating plus better access to restrooms and concessions.  But I doubt there will be any extensive work to reconfigure the seating.

The difference from North Stadium (iirc) is that they left the existing stadium as it was and added on to the "back" of it so all the new seating was "behind" the existing seating.

From Google Earth.  I think you can see where North Stadium used to end and where they added on the extra rows of regular seating plus the suites behind them.

343xnWW.png