NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

41 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think there's any reason why they *couldn't* enclose it.  I just don't know if that's what they're thinking.

I'm sure it possible to move whatever is in that building to another place on campus.  Then they could do whatever underneath the existing seating.  

I just don't see them doing anything with the stadium itself.  Add/remodel/whatever underneath to give better access to the seating plus better access to restrooms and concessions.  But I doubt there will be any extensive work to reconfigure the seating.

The difference from North Stadium (iirc) is that they left the existing stadium as it was and added on to the "back" of it so all the new seating was "behind" the existing seating.

From Google Earth.  I think you can see where North Stadium used to end and where they added on the extra rows of regular seating plus the suites behind them.

343xnWW.png

Thanks for the pic.  I had totally forgotten that they had added onto the seating in the North Stadium.  Now, aren't they both fairly close to the same height?  I agree.  I don't see them doing anything to the actual seating area.  But, they could enclose the back, put in a mezzanine level (either on top of the building or remove the building) and that would allow them to do all the creature comforts people want.  

I wonder if they have a demand for more suits.  If so, I could see them adding some to this end.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I believe they are adding a few more suites in the "knuckle" on the east side of North Stadium that is part of this project.

I know people have claimed they see that in the graphics they released.  I just don't see it.  I also don't remember any official announcement mentioning suits.  

But, it's possible.  

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know people have claimed they see that in the graphics they released.  I just don't see it.  I also don't remember any official announcement mentioning suits.  

But, it's possible.  

On 9/29/2019 at 12:27 PM, Mavric said:

In response to the earlier questions, the main purpose is to add elevators and escalators for fans in North Stadium.  But they are also looking to add six suites as well.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't think there's any reason why they *couldn't* enclose it.  I just don't know if that's what they're thinking.

I'm sure it possible to move whatever is in that building to another place on campus.  Then they could do whatever underneath the existing seating.  

I just don't see them doing anything with the stadium itself.  Add/remodel/whatever underneath to give better access to the seating plus better access to restrooms and concessions.  But I doubt there will be any extensive work to reconfigure the seating.

The difference from North Stadium (iirc) is that they left the existing stadium as it was and added on to the "back" of it so all the new seating was "behind" the existing seating.

From Google Earth.  I think you can see where North Stadium used to end and where they added on the extra rows of regular seating plus the suites behind them.

343xnWW.png

The problem with doing major renovations in South Stadium is 2 fold.

1. the current foundations there aren't strong enough to support any more significant weight than currently exists without completely removing most of what is in the space and starting over as you would have to remove the current pilings and dig new ones (likely deep enough that they reach bedrock) and as you can see in the picture would need to go right through the middle of that building.

2. That building is the Schorr Center. The basement of the Schorr Center is a climate controlled, state of the art facility which houses the universities 5 supercomputers. Moving those to a new location would be incredibly expensive and difficult, just the act of shutting them down for any extended amount of time would likely be extremely cost and resource prohibitive.

• Plus1 3
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

Do we think it might be a better investment to maybe only spend $100 million on the facilities and just use the extra $50 million toward better bag men on the recruiting front? If we want to compete with the big boys, we have to get better in that regards.

I thought that when I saw Lane going to Ole Miss.  He will do much better without recruiting restrictions....

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

The price tag on a proposed new venue for the Husker track and field program has gone up with hopes attached of Nebraska also increasing its opportunity of hosting more high-level events in the future.

The new proposal that the University of Nebraska Board of Regents will consider next week will seek approval for a project that will now cost $16.5 million, a hike from the $11.475 million project approved last fall. (The proposal starts on Page 47 of next week's budget for the Feb. 7 NU Board of Regents meeting, with renderings of the facility included.)

The new design proposal estimates it will take up 15,187 total net square feet, compared to 8,330 in the initially approved plan. 

The reasons for the budget increase, which may be funded from a variety of private, trust, cash or University internal lending program funds, were due to three main factors:

– $1,725,000 for site-related items including additional land acquisition costs, additional site prep costs due to poor soil conditions, and rebuilding the south parking area due to moving the track facility south to avoid the Salt Creek levy system

– $1,650,000 for amenities to enable Athletics to host track and field championships to build upon our rich championship tradition, including visiting team dressing rooms, meet management spaces and an extra practice area on the south end of the track.

– $1,650,000 for improvements to the outdoor throws area which was already planned for within Athletics FY20 budget prior to the approval of the new outdoor track facility. This project now provides design and construction efficiencies to construct the new state-of-the-art throws practice facility in conjunction with the new track project.

• Plus1 2