NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

• 2 months later...

28 minutes ago, theknife said:

Moos previously said we had 2/3rds of the funds needed for the expansion. How would a cancelled season imapct this, if at all?

I can't imagine it would have no impact.  The economy going to hell hurts the donations needed to help fund it.

Big picture, not having a football season would cripple most athletic departments as football revenue (mostly TV money) funds all other sports besides men's basketball (except for a few schools that turn a small profit on volleyball and baseball).  No football season probably equals many athletic departments having to cut non-revenue sports.  That's why they will do everything possible to get in some form of football this year (empty stadiums, conference games only, not starting until next Feb and ending in May, etc).

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, theknife said:

Moos previously said we had 2/3rds of the funds needed for the expansion. How would a cancelled season imapct this, if at all?

I'm not sure it will have a big impact.  Maybe they will have a harder time getting as many donations as they would like.  And, thus, they might have to borrow more than they planned.  

But we're one of the few athletic departments that doesn't currently have any debt.  So I doubt that will be a deal-breaker.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I can't imagine it would have no impact.  The economy going to hell hurts the donations needed to help fund it.

Big picture, not having a football season would cripple most athletic departments as football revenue (mostly TV money) funds all other sports besides men's basketball (except for a few schools that turn a small profit on volleyball and baseball).  No football season probably equals many athletic departments having to cut non-revenue sports.  That's why they will do everything possible to get in some form of football this year (empty stadiums, conference games only, not starting until next Feb and ending in May, etc).

Would be really interesting to see how that would play out across the G5 landscape as you gotta think almost all those schools need those P5 non con games for budget reasons.  I saw a couple days ago that Buffalo makes $700k/yr from their TV deal and they'll make somewhere around $3mm just from their games against KState and Ohio State.  If those games don't happen, that's gonna hurt for sure.  Have to imagine it'll be even more devastating for HBCUs and FCS teams. 

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing is, they can't just give donated funds to the university. If someone donates a million dollars for football facilities, and the uni turns around and gives that money to the library system or something instead, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Plus1 8
9 minutes ago, Toe said:

The thing is, they can't just give donated funds to the university. If someone donates a million dollars for football facilities, and the uni turns around and gives that money to the library system or something instead, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

People need to realize that Athletic funds are not the same thing as general University funds, but that's always easier said than done.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
On 4/16/2020 at 10:31 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

People need to realize that Athletic funds are not the same thing as general University funds, but that's always easier said than done.

Always one of the easiest things to explain and hardest things to get people to understand.

If I'm donating my money for a specific thing and I then I find out the plan is to use the money on something I didnt pledge it for, I'm either not committing to my pledge or suing to get my money back. Then the money proceeds to not exist for the athletic department to use at all. Super easy concept

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Disappointing, but not surprising.

Construction on NU's $155 million football training facility to be delayed

Nebraska is deep into the design phase of the project, and Moos has recently reiterated that fundraising toward the $100 million mark in private donations has been strong despite the ongoing pandemic.

"We’re moving very, very strongly through the design phase," Moos said. "Our design team has been spectacular. The virtual meetings have been very productive. The conceptual design is jaw-dropping. It’s unbelievable."

NU’s initial proposal to the Board of Regents called for construction on a roughly 350,000-square-foot project to begin in June and the design phase to continue into August. Moos, though, said construction will have to wait for perhaps obvious reasons.

"Because among other things, we have tremendous budget woes we’re looking at," he said. “You start taking a couple of those (home football games) away, and then you start saying, ‘Hey, the stadium can only be 30% full.’ You’re talking about huge, huge numbers in terms of ... revenue streams.”

The initial target for completion was set for June 2022, a two-year timeline that would have comfortably had Nebraska’s football program moved into the new building well ahead of that year’s preseason camp.

• Plus1 1

Hm.  Curious as to why the delay if the fund raising was there already then the reasons would not be fiscal.  I havent seen much real shutdown in the outdoor construction type projects here in NY.  Unless Moos is planning to use up the AD rainy day fund (around 50 million reportedly?) to try to stay afloat thru next year.  

Definitely a huge hurt to the resurrection efforts as recruiting is already struggling and new facilities were a big selling feature. 

It may simply be a matter of the athletic department having too much else going on. Trying to come up with plans for COVID-19 might leave them little time to finalize facilities plans.

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hm.  Curious as to why the delay if the fund raising was there already then the reasons would not be fiscal.  I havent seen much real shutdown in the outdoor construction type projects here in NY.  Unless Moos is planning to use up the AD rainy day fund (around 50 million reportedly?) to try to stay afloat thru next year.  

Definitely a huge hurt to the resurrection efforts as recruiting is already struggling and new facilities were a big selling feature. 

Bad look with everything else going on.  And if the football season would get cancelled it would cause a financial issue.  So they're waiting for a bit.