NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

1 hour ago, Toe said:

247 ranks the top 25 facilities in college football. Nebraska comes in at... not on the list. While teams like Northwestern, Texas Tech, Kentucky, and even Illinois appear.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/college-football-recruiting-2021-facilities-Alabama-Clemson-Ohio-State-LSU-Texas-Georgia-Florida-160189814/#160189814_16

That is a dumb list and seems more like the author was concerned with which place he'd want to spend a week at on vacation. Ranking facilities because they have a recording studio or a minigolf course instead of medical facilities, nutritional support, performance labs, and strength facilities is silly. Having been to more than a few of these places, I can say that Nebraska's facilities are in that top level, especially when the new facility comes on board. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Did Northwestern finish their facilities?  Because before the last plan I saw theirs were worse than some HS I've seen.  Great that they now have better facilities over the last year.  What about the last 50 years?  

That's the issue I have with lists like this.  I don't think they really do a comprehensive look at everything.  They pick out the couple things that are flashy and go from that.

Northwestern's practice field and home lockerroom are very nice.  Top of the line.  Everything else they have is barely better than trash.  But they have a couple flashing things to point to so people like to say they have great facilities.

• Plus1 2

This is part of their "#8 facilities in the country":

Northwestern: No air conditioning or heat. 

Link

East Carolin, UTEP, Hawai'i, and even Penn are teams that have more capacity in their football stadiums.  Ryan field doesn't even have lights for night games.  

And a bit more information from on that great stadium:

Architecturally speaking, the stadium is quite unique. Its stands have a pronounced parabolic shape, a design used to allow more seating near the middle of the field. Although the design is eye-appealing, it leads to quite the hike up the ramps of the stadium.

Unfortunately, there's not much relief from the walk up the ramps. According to the Ryan Field visitor's guide, the only elevators are on the west side of the stadium and only accessible to those with a handicapped pass. 

As for the concourses, don't expect much comfort when navigating through them. The concourses are narrow enough, but throw in the long lines from the concession stands, and the trek through the stadium makes one feel like a salmon attempting to swim upstream.

Perhaps, the most absurd part about the stadium is the lights, or lack thereof. Ryan Field's stadium lights for night games consist of nothing more than a few spotlights standing just above the bleachers.

Link

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's the issue I have with lists like this.  I don't think they really do a comprehensive look at everything.  They pick out the couple things that are flashy and go from that.

Northwestern's practice field and home lockerroom are very nice.  Top of the line.  Everything else they have is barely better than trash.  But they have a couple flashing things to point to so people like to say they have great facilities.

I think they benefit because the new building is right on the lake.  I guarantee nobody is going to enjoy walking to that building in the winter

2 hours ago, The_Fan_Man said:

the author was concerned with which place he'd a recruit would want to spend a week at on vacation. Ranking facilities because they have a recording studio or a minigolf course instead of medical facilities, nutritional support, performance labs, and strength facilities is silly makes sense because that's what most recruits would pay the most attention to.

^ fixed

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is part of their "#8 facilities in the country":

Link

Just a wee bit misleading to leave out the fact the article is about visitor's locker rooms from your post, donchathink? s#!tty visitors locker rooms are pretty standard. Something tells me that Northwestern recruits and players don't really give a s#!t about that.

36 minutes ago, Toe said:

Just a wee bit misleading to leave out the fact the article is about visitor's locker rooms from your post, donchathink? s#!tty visitors locker rooms are pretty standard. Something tells me that Northwestern recruits and players don't really give a s#!t about that.

I guess I could have restated that.  I had previously said that their home locker room is really nice.  I think it got redone at the same time the practice field was being built.  

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

7 hours ago, GSG said:

Wonder what the heating bill is in the winter. That's a s#!t load of windows right there on the lake 

Gotta get those Argon filled windows homie. I'm sure the Journalism nerds asked the engineering nerds in Turdue what to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Nebraska is “very close” to hitting its fundraising goal for the new football facility, Moos said, after securing two “big gifts” totaling $7 million in the last few weeks. NU hopes to begin breaking ground on the facility this summer. The University of Nebraska Board of Regents approved in December revisions to the project so that it could be done in two phases instead of one.

“I feeling really good about getting to the goal at the end of the month,” Moos said. “That’s our target.”

Despite COVID, Moos said, donors largest and modest have been faithful to their word.

“We haven’t lost one pledge, written or verbal,” he said.

OWH

10 hours ago, runningblind said:

I was confused by this.  It said close to goal,   but also said board approved splitting into two phases.  Does that mean they are close to the fundraising goal of the whole thing or just part one?

I can't remember for sure how the phase-split was worded.  But they weren't raising all of the money - they were raising about 2/3 of it though donations and were getting the rest from the cash reserve and possibly some loans.  Now a good chunk of the cash reserve has been used to cover losses from last year.  So I think they were wanting to push some of the project out another year or so to allow time to replenish the cash reserve.