NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I don't do large quantities either. No truckloads, no mill orders. I would imagine someone doing a mill order, their pricing would be held until they received the material, which to my understanding has been running 4+ months to around a year for some items.  It has been absolutely crazy for over a year now. Prices have roughly tripled, I'm busier than ever but what is killing me is keeping up with daily price increases. We do custom work to order as well as I have some products I keep in stock and regularly sell. I'm not going to sell them below market value so I have to adjust a few things every week. I could use a break :lol:....but business is good.

I buy aluminum extrusions by the truckload. Pricing is at time of shipment. I’m also having to work with a 6-12 month lead time.  

• Plus1 1

• 1 month later...

Sounds like facilities we can all be proud of for DONU!   Now if the athletes keep up the great work in the classroom and match that with similar effort in their athletic endeavors, they will spend the rest of their lives reaping the rewards of that work with the pride of doing and achieving success the right way - the Husker way!   GBR!  

Anyone else look at this 150 million dollar building as a wasted opportunity now with NIL? We seem to constantly do things at the wrong time or just slightly off, whether it was a good decision at the time or not. Some upgrades are good but this isn't going to bring in the recruits like it would have 20 years ago. Won't hurt but is now overkill.

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Anyone else look at this 150 million dollar building as a wasted opportunity now with NIL? We seem to constantly do things at the wrong time or just slightly off, whether it was a good decision at the time or not. Some upgrades are good but this isn't going to bring in the recruits like it would have 20 years ago. Won't hurt but is now overkill.

You could be right but we do get looks from some of the better recruits so you never know, annedge in facilities could be just the ticket to that one or two “difference makers” so many talk about.  It is true that we really have not had any real difference makers lately.  Maybe a couple in the latest group.  And maybe, just maybe, Whipple and Joseph or even Raiola could be the key to turn things upward. We have to find something to hang hope from.  I just dread an entire offseason with so little anticipation.  

I hope academics are not forgotten because getting good grades really makes college a lot more fun and worthwhile.  Boredom is the worst emotion for college aged people  - it leads to bad choices in many areas.  College should be a great experience in many ways imo.  Winning will help too but it’s more than winning.   

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'm not sure it is wasted but I get where you are coming from.  IMO, we are seeing the wild west days of NIL but it will likely become more regulated.  I think we will see a salary cap/NIL limit making facilities investments necessary to stay competitive.  

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure it is wasted but I get where you are coming from.  IMO, we are seeing the wild west days of NIL but it will likely become more regulated.  I think we will see a salary cap/NIL limit making facilities investments necessary to stay competitive.  

Plus, the new facilities are being done to make the football practices, locker rooms, pre-game work, and other sports training more functional in general.  Yes, the goal is to help with recruiting, but the old facilities were drastically out of date compared to other Big Ten facilities and needed an upgrade to be more functional.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Plus, the new facilities are being done to make the football practices, locker rooms, pre-game work, and other sports training more functional in general.  Yes, the goal is to help with recruiting, but the old facilities were drastically out of date compared to other Big Ten facilities and needed an upgrade to be more functional.

And, the boosters that donated to this project all have plenty of money to go around.  I've fundraised funds from some of these deep pockets in the past and their general comment is that they didn't make their money once.  While the donations to the facility are tax deductible, the NIL deals would be considered business expenses like advertising or promotions, and similarly tax deductible.  This isn't going to prevent NIL deals in the future.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is where I am as well.  I think the expansion of the weight room/locker room/meeting rooms will make things a lot better for football.  And all sports will benefit from that facility being very accessible from campus.  So from that standpoint, I think it's still a good idea.

However, going forward I think a pretty good argument could be made for directing those type of funds at NIL instead.

• Plus1 1