NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

11 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Then i dont do business with you, its pretty simple.

LOL….good. 

Let’s look at what we are talking about.  

The 150,000,000 figure was given out two years ago. What happened was, the athletic department engages an architect. The architect draws up the plans and they get estimates on how much each part costs. That totaled the 150,000,000. 

athry then go out and start fund raising and hoping they can raise the money to do the project.  Once they reach a certain level, they move forward with starting to sing contracts. Since then, COVID hit and, if my memory is correct, they have changed the project scope a couple times. 

I’m interested in seeing if there is anyone in this thread that got a quote on a major project and the supplier guaranteed the price fir over two years and through multiple project changes. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

odd...  I'm a sub and have locked pricing on all my materials.

You do now.  What about when the pandemic hit, then Texas froze, and then and then Ida hit Louisiana? I know a lot of contractors that enforced the "force majeure" section of their contracts because they simply couldn't eat the price increases on raw materials for builds during that time.  It shouldn't be surprising that a project budgeted for $150mm in 2019 costs more in 2021.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

odd...  I'm a sub and have locked pricing on all my materials.

I'm also a contrsctor.

Locked pricing can change any time per contract simply with written notice.  Nearly all contracts have price index written verbiage for materials and fuel.

One of the more volatile right now is steel.  Our steel producer will guarantee a price for 7 days right now.

I’m going to call serious BS on anybody that got their vendors to hold price quotes for a year or more through this pandemic. For over a year now price quotes from my vendors have been good for 1 day if I’m lucky. And I guarantee my prices based on that. I know many contractors who were awarded jobs and bailed out of them due to price increases. Not saying it couldn’t have happened in some specific limited cases but it is clearly not the situation the majority are in.

#constructionmaterialcostboard

Just now, TheSker said:

I'm also a contrsctor.

Locked pricing can change any time per contract simply with written notice.  Nearly all contracts have price index written verbiage for materials and fuel.

One of the more volatile right now is steel.  Our steel producer will guarantee a price for 7 days right now.

Wow 7 days. You’re doing better than me. I buy steel a couple times per week and my quotes are being guaranteed for 24 hours or to pricing in effect at time of order (meaning they aren’t guaranteed at all). Granted I haven’t seen a price quote change within about a 2 day period but I have ordered things a week later and they have gone up.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Wow 7 days. You’re doing better than me. I buy steel a couple times per week and my quotes are being guaranteed for 24 hours or to pricing in effect at time of order (meaning they aren’t guaranteed at all). Granted I haven’t seen a price quote change within about a 2 day period but I have ordered things a week later and they have gone up.

We don't do large quantities of steel so that may affect the time frame....but yeah, we get 7 days on steel.

Asphalt prices changed by the day for us late summer this year.  Concrete held steady for us but was almost unobtainable for a while in Utah.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

We don't do large quantities of steel so that may affect the time frame....but yeah, we get 7 days on steel.

Asphalt prices changed by the day for us late summer this year.  Concrete held steady for us but was almost unobtainable for a while in Utah.

Yeah, I don't do large quantities either. No truckloads, no mill orders. I would imagine someone doing a mill order, their pricing would be held until they received the material, which to my understanding has been running 4+ months to around a year for some items.  It has been absolutely crazy for over a year now. Prices have roughly tripled, I'm busier than ever but what is killing me is keeping up with daily price increases. We do custom work to order as well as I have some products I keep in stock and regularly sell. I'm not going to sell them below market value so I have to adjust a few things every week. I could use a break :lol:....but business is good.

• Plus1 1