NU to unveil $150 million football facility plan Friday

knapplc

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't see any way that they'll completely rework South Stadium.

I agree. It's more of a dream scenario where it would allow for more room.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But they have expanded the seats a couple times in recent years (decreasing capacity).

Yeah....that seems to go back and forth depending on how many tickets they want to sell.

I imagine if we get back to being a top 5 team and in the playoffs, the seats are going to be about 6" wide.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:16 PM, knapplc said:

He's probably more concerned with the location of the new track, not the old one.

Speaking of which, it makes perfect sense to put it closer to the indoor facility where Pepin spends most of his time. I have no idea what they're planning for Innovation Campus, but here are the two most likely locations for the new track, near as I can guess.

I also included (outlined in red) the new Gymnastics training facility going up at Devaney right now.

9ysXqbW.png

The track and field teams would move to a new $11.5 million stadium north of the Devaney Sports Center and west of the Ice Box on what is currently a gravel parking lot at Nebraska Innovation Campus.

I feel like the NU marketing department trots out more info on the North Stadium expansion project every time they want to make an attempt to wash negative stuff about the program off the top of the page. (This time it is Mo Washington being nowhere on the roster). https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-North-Stadium-expansion-project-facilities-upgrades-NU-Regents-137129272/

Not that this is a bad strategy, but it is getting to be pretty obvious.

29 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I feel like the NU marketing department trots out more info on the North Stadium expansion project every time they want to make an attempt to wash negative stuff about the program off the top of the page. (This time it is Mo Washington being nowhere on the roster). https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-North-Stadium-expansion-project-facilities-upgrades-NU-Regents-137129272/

Not that this is a bad strategy, but it is getting to be pretty obvious.

The project details were released last Friday, a full 3 days before the Mo Washington news was released today. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The project details were released last Friday, a full 3 days before the Mo Washington news was released today. 

Yeah, you are right. I guess I don't understand how it is the TOP story on the page I linked to, when the stories below it are only 6 and 7 hrs old.

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I wonder if this kind of spending will actually get us back on top in football, baseball and finally in basketball??  Will this be enough to influence great recruits to play their sport in Nebraska.   It appears Moos is trying to upgrade coaching across the board and now the facilities.  Maybe in the future we can be consider top tier in the conference.  I hope it all pays off ... and hopefully soon before we have to invest in a new 'arms race' in upgrades.

• Plus1 1

I find it interesting that very little ever is done to the south stadium to improve fan access to bathrooms, concessions, upper levels...etc.  It seems to me the North stadium has been upgraded several times and nothing in the south.

Imagine this: It’s Nebraska versus Oklahoma -- an early 2022 season headliner at Memorial Stadium -- and the Cornhuskers are leaving their spacious new locker room to begin the Tunnel Walk.

With the music blaring, the team enters a new northeast tower that allows fans to not only slap the players’ hands but also allows others at multiple levels of the stadium and football complex to look down and cheer on the team as they make their way inside the nearly 100-year-old stadium.

While the $155 million football athletic complex promises lots of the latest and greatest bells and whistles for all 600-plus Nebraska athletes, there are some fan-friendly features built into the plans as well.

The upgrades are not just enhancements to the game day Tunnel Walk either. Fans in the north end zone will be the biggest beneficiaries of improved creature comforts, with escalators, elevators and other vertical people movers, and more concession stands and restrooms closer to the top rows.

There’s also talk of adding a culinary kitchen in the west side of the stadium to enhance game-day food options.

The long-neglected south side of Memorial Stadium? Nothing this time.