Jimmies and Joes

Just now, CapoValley said:

No one will confuse Bill Callahan with one of the best coaches in the nation but he got recruits to Lincoln. So Frost can be expected to as well

One top 10 recruiting class is not a trend and that doesn't mean junk if ya can't coach em. Callahan had the advantage of coming into a Nebraska that still meant alot in the world of college football. Frost would pull multiple top 10 classes if he was coming in behind Solich I mean come on

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many times do we have to go over last night is not indicative of Frosts recruiting and it is absurd to keep making that connection. WE HAVE NO UPPERCLASSMEN. That makes a difference when the team you are playing has elite recruiting senior through freshman. We recruit the country too, but don't act like they don't hit Detroit hard and have better ties to places like New Jersey. We recruit similarly to OSU as far as a national footprint but their local prospects boosts that strategy. It would help if they didn't own St. Louis, but thats what winning does for you.

Their underclassmen are WAY better then ours and it has to do with recruiting.   

As far as the St. Louis area, they have 4 kids on the roster from St. Louis and that is it.  They cherry pick who they want, from where they want and go from there.  Lovie Smith owns St. Louis more then tOSU does.  

• Fire 1
18 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Their underclassmen are WAY better then ours and it has to do with recruiting.   

As far as the St. Louis area, they have 4 kids on the roster from St. Louis and that is it.  They cherry pick who they want, from where they want and go from there.  Lovie Smith owns St. Louis more then tOSU does.  

How can you tell something like that from last night it is impossible. Obviously they are better but how much better is impossible to say when OSUs guys have elite upperclassmen guiding them. If our Freshman and Sophmores played theirs straight up I bet it would be much closer than last night.

Illinois has stronger St. Louis connections they are closer but 4 guys from St. Louis is significant when those were some of the top recruits out of that area.

53 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

One top 10 recruiting class is not a trend and that doesn't mean junk if ya can't coach em. Callahan had the advantage of coming into a Nebraska that still meant alot in the world of college football. Frost would pull multiple top 10 classes if he was coming in behind Solich I mean come on

Bo Pelini was not a good recruiter, but he did well with Bill Callahan's recruits.

12 hours ago, CapoValley said:

That’s fine but we could be recruiting better than we are right now. 

I hate to say this but,  Nebraska has not been a top program for years.  It's cold, in the middle of no where and has lost the swagger that we had in the 90's. I think we have the right coach at Nebraska know.  Give him time.  Look at all the top teams in the country, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, teams from warm weather areas.  The Ohio States and Michigans still have the swagger and the recruting base within 500 miles.  If you look back to the 90's most of the OL line and DL came from the 500 mile radius and many came from Nebraska.  When is the last time Nebraska or Iowa produced five star recruits that went to Nebraska?  That being said I agree we need to beef up the OL and the DL to get competitive again. Changing coaching staffs every 3 to 5 years gives you what we have at Nebraska right know!!!

57 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How can you tell something like that from last night it is impossible. Obviously they are better but how much better is impossible to say when OSUs guys have elite upperclassmen guiding them. If our Freshman and Sophmores played theirs straight up I bet it would be much closer than last night.

Illinois has stronger St. Louis connections they are closer but 4 guys from St. Louis is significant when those were some of the top recruits out of that area.

How can you tell it would be closer?  They have 5 underclassmen on the 2 deep for their Oline,  3-5*'s and 2-4*'s,  each one of them was either the #1 or #2 player at their position coming out of HS.  The underclassmen skill guys on the 2 deep consist of 2-5*'s and 2-4*'s and were among the top 2 of their position coming out of HS.    That is just for offense.

I like the players we have recruited and think they will turn out to be good down the road but I don't think they would hang playing tOSU's straight up.  There is a reason those guys were the tops of their positions coming out of HS and why tOSU puts kids in the league. 

2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I don't know what to tell you if you honestly can't see the difference between Nebraska and schools like Ohio State and Alabama and why Nebraska cant just do what they do. 

Corey Raymond after the loss to the Gamec$%ks.  "Look at them and look at us".......Although not scientific, the eyeball test is a pretty reliable gauge........

1 hour ago, Whs from cb said:

I hate to say this but,  Nebraska has not been a top program for years.  It's cold, in the middle of no where and has lost the swagger that we had in the 90's. I think we have the right coach at Nebraska know.  Give him time.  Look at all the top teams in the country, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, teams from warm weather areas.  The Ohio States and Michigans still have the swagger and the recruting base within 500 miles.  If you look back to the 90's most of the OL line and DL came from the 500 mile radius and many came from Nebraska.  When is the last time Nebraska or Iowa produced five star recruits that went to Nebraska?  That being said I agree we need to beef up the OL and the DL to get competitive again. Changing coaching staffs every 3 to 5 years gives you what we have at Nebraska right know!!!

I agree with everything you said except for the bolded.  It wasn't common at all for Nebraska or Iowa to produce five star recruits back in the 90's.  A lot of those OL and DL did come from the 500 mile radius and did come from Nebraska.  However, several were walk-ons like Adam Treu and Joel Wilks.  After doing a bit of research, I see that Iowa has never produced a five star recruit and Nebraska hasn't produced a five star recruit since 2000.  Back in TO's day, he recruited more to a body type than anything else and let Tenopir mold them into OL.  Most of these guys were relatively unheard of by the rest of the top teams. 

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many times do we have to go over last night is not indicative of Frosts recruiting and it is absurd to keep making that connection. WE HAVE NO UPPERCLASSMEN. That makes a difference when the team you are playing has elite recruiting senior through freshman. We recruit the country too, but don't act like they don't hit Detroit hard and have better ties to places like New Jersey. We recruit similarly to OSU as far as a national footprint but their local prospects boosts that strategy. It would help if they didn't own St. Louis, but thats what winning does for you.

I was saying this down the stretch last night. When our starters were going against Ohio State's younger backups, that's a better matchup for where we are right now. The difference is we're forced to play our young guys now and have them develop on the field, while Ohio State has a stable of veteran players, and only their transformative young players (Fields) see the field. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I agree with everything you said except for the bolded.  It wasn't common at all for Nebraska or Iowa to produce five star recruits back in the 90's.  A lot of those OL and DL did come from the 500 mile radius and did come from Nebraska.  However, several were walk-ons like Adam Treu and Joel Wilks.  After doing a bit of research, I see that Iowa has never produced a five star recruit and Nebraska hasn't produced a five star recruit since 2000.  Back in TO's day, he recruited more to a body type than anything else and let Tenopir mold them into OL.  Most of these guys were relatively unheard of by the rest of the top teams. 

Thats one of the points I am trying to make,  it takes time to turn a program around and become a top ten program.  Too many people are still living in the glory years,  Nebraska has a good coach, he is one of us, he knows more about the traditions and the program than any of us will ever know.  It's going to take time!!!