Nebraska Football Staff

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, melscott62 said:

There is nothing wrong with Wisconsin. I do question if the best option for us isn’t copying them.  I think we could be a better recruiting version of them.  But I think we have to give Scott a good 5-7 years.  But what I saw was tonight was very disturbing.  For me that might have been the most deflating game I have seen as a Nebraska fan.

After the hype of the week that loss hurts. However that was nowhere near as bad as 2017 in my opinion. 2016 was probably even worse... 62-3. 

This team continued to play and while they absolutely sucked they never looked like they quit like teams in the past. They saw the opportunity to continue to grow and kept working. 

• Plus1 3

Imagine you are thinking about a beautiful girl, she dominates your thoughts.  You love her, and whats more, your family really loves her too.  Now you and your family are all dressed up for the dance, and you realize the beautiful girl is not there. Then your buddy tells you she hasn't been seen in town for a month.  You realize that there is no one there. You are alone. 

That is us right now.  The girl has been gone from town for a long, long time.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

50 points behind? And yes the recruiting can improve that much. Give this staff at least three top 20 classes and this game likely looks a lot different. 

The last 4 years, Nebraska averaged the 22nd best recruiting classes (247). While there has been a high attrition rate, we have recruited at levels higher than 2/3 of the Big Ten. Iowa, the 14 ranked team in the country, averaged the 42nd. They have been much better than us in that span and it has more to do with having an identity than strong recruiting.  Also, Colorado averaged the 50th best class over the last 4 years and beat us both times and currently have a first year head coach. 

People need to stop using the recruiting excuse. Yes, teams like OSU will generally beat the Nebraska’s of the world, but it doesn’t have to be a beat down like today.  Nebraska has some coaching issues and a mentality problem.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 3

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The one thing people keep clinging onto with Chinander is he's "better than Diaco!!!1!", which if true is only slightly true, and I honest to God can't believe that's enough for some people.  A lot of people it seems.

I think the jury is still out on Chinander, hard to evaluate still based on the cupboard he was given. With that said, I’ve seen some improvements on defense. More sacks, more takeaways, the LB positions seem to be a strength. Besides Ohio state id say tackling on the outsides is better. 

Corners still weak. DLine has no depth. Actually, there isn’t much depth anywhere.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I think the jury is still out on Chinander, hard to evaluate still based on the cupboard he was given. With that said, I’ve seen some improvements on defense. More sacks, more takeaways, the LB positions seem to be a strength. Besides Ohio state id say tackling on the outsides is better. 

Corners still weak. DLine has no depth. Actually, there isn’t much depth anywhere.

It's still TBD.  Herbie was able to clearly point out 1 play where our LB went rogue pursuing Fields leaving his side of the field open for a big play by I think Dobbins.  That's a quick analysis catching 1 play so you know there are a lot of plays where players are not doing their assignments.  I think every game the commentators have pointed out at least 1 WTF play from our defense- players, not scheme.  Also, I think the defensive line looked very low effort tonight.  When I see players performing per scheme and the scheme is obviously failing them ala Pelini then I'll start calling for coach's heads.

8 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Give Frost Suh, Amukamara, Asante, Hagg, and Dillard on defense. That’s just the guys drafted. It’s leaving off guys that were 2nd team all big 12. Way to completely ignore my entire point.

Pelini didn't "get" suh, amukamara, asante, hagg or dillard on defense. He made them.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

So the meltdown is on I see.  

Frost and co. will be just fine, we needed this smackdown, Martinez has been a headcase all season, I think he was putting too much pressure on himself do to all of the heisman hype.  The entire team may have been putting too much pressure on themselves to live up to the second Frost season at UCF expectation.  Ohio State looks like national champions, they look far better than any other team I have seen in the country this season and we have shown absolutely nothing so far this season; too many turnovers, too many silly penalties, offensive line woes, kicking woes, I mean come on, after the first game people should have realized we were in for a average to slightly above average season.  Just like last seasons woodshedding at Michigan, this game might be just enough to wake this team up.  They may actually relax now and get back to having fun like they did at the end of last season. 

This was never going to be a two season turnaround, fans have to come back to the real world.  Riley and co. left this team in a terrible position and it will take four to five seasons (2 to 3 more) to get truly back on track.  That said, I still believe we can get to a bowl game this season but the talk of winning the division and Big Ten was always a silly dream.

• Plus1 3