Nebraska Football Staff

BIG ERN

Just now, PaulCrewe said:

Yes there isn’t an abundance of draft talent on the roster, but you can coach up guys and instill an attitude in them to get them to play above their talent level as a cohesive unit.  Neither of which we’ve seen.  Obviously an alarming thing maybe sticking with players getting worked over or playing so poorly, instead of a giving a back up time that has supposedly been taught the same techniques etc.  Coaching up players is something I really haven’t seen from this staff yet

It really should make fans appreciate and really acknowledge the work Fitzgerald does at Northwestern

I loved his presser from last week.

"There's 40,000 fans with ideas on what plays to call. Give them my email at #Idontcare".  Classic

He is one guy that does a lot more woth a lot less.  Sound, physical system....

One comp I always give Frost is dabo it took them awhile to get where they are it was a few 6-8 win games seasons and a bowl embarrassment to wvu. One thing dabo did was invest in coordinators. I know Clemson did have a skill advantage having players like Hopkins Watkins and martavious bryant on one team but Frost is gonna have to invest the way saban and dabo has and become more of a ceo

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Yes there isn’t an abundance of draft talent on the roster, but you can coach up guys and instill an attitude in them to get them to play above their talent level as a cohesive unit.  Neither of which we’ve seen.  Obviously an alarming thing maybe sticking with players getting worked over or playing so poorly, instead of a giving a back up time that has supposedly been taught the same techniques etc.  Coaching up players is something I really haven’t seen from this staff yet

It really should make fans appreciate and really acknowledge the work Fitzgerald does at Northwestern

They didn't coach up Ozigbo last year?

• Plus1 1
Just now, huskerfan702 said:

One comp I always give Frost is dabo it took them awhile to get where they are it was a few 6-8 win games seasons and a bowl embarrassment to wvu. One thing dabo did was invest in coordinators. I know Clemson did have a skill advantage having players like Hopkins Watkins and martavious bryant on one team but Frost is gonna have to invest the way saban and dabo has and become more of a ceo

Programs are more efficient now. Dabo learned that. The Saban era demands that you get the best of the best in every area or you get crushed. Recruiting, special teams, etc. nothing can be neglected for a second. 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Bad all around like it has been this year, but look at their numbers. PS4 esq against us 

Ya this game was bad, but from 2017 to now the defense has improved hands down. At a minimum he deserves the rest of this year and probably next before we can say he's not cutting it. 

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I loved his presser from last week.

"There's 40,000 fans with ideas on what plays to call. Give them my email at #Idontcare".  Classic

He is one guy that does a lot more woth a lot less.  Sound, physical system....

Today he went for two instead of kicking the extra point in a 9 point game. He does odd things but is a good coach.

12 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

Ceiling 

And yes the recruiting can prove but we’re 50 points behind at least right now. Can improve that much? I’m not sure I believe that

50 points behind? And yes the recruiting can improve that much. Give this staff at least three top 20 classes and this game likely looks a lot different. 

• Haha 1

To add.  You always hear kids talk about how much "faster the game is form HS to college and then college to NFL"  Although Frost has coached at the P5 level as OC and position coach, maybe the same holds true for coaching.  G5 is maybe "slower/easier" than P5 and it's more of a learning curve than Frost realized being in the drivers seat.  The B1G schedule is much harder than the AAC...  Possibly better athletes week in and week out as well might make a successful scheme in one league not work in another (offense and/or defense). 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, lo country said:

It's hard to put the blame soley on the kids when we are out recruiting most of the B1G.  We are tops in the West and trend towards the bottom.  

Soilch-fired the D staff and I think he shouldve been goven time past 2003

Cally-Had Coz.  Hired an actual DC might've had a shot

Pelini-Like Frost,  a new HC with an inexperienced staff, Wats/Beck and Paps.  Just an inexperienced staff

Riley-Had Baker/Diaco/Langs-Bad example he sucked.  So did his staff

Frost-he's got some guys as @BIG ERN mentioned need to be looked at.  

16 games in for Frost and have we really improved across the board?  A lot of teams do more with less. UNC is 2-2, but almost beat Clemson.  WR's? OL?  ST's?  

IMO, I think it is takent, but coaching as well.  Gotta go with what you have, not with what you want.  Better game plan.  Accountability.  That's coaching.

I think it's more talent and culture, than coaching. One of the things that Callahan started and Riley pounded home was recruiting rankings. Which has warped the players and fans expectations. Rankings and stars only mean the kids have the potential, not that they'll ever reach it. Really shows when the team gets punched in the mouth and they fold over, or just by watching NW or UW.

I think what Frost is trying to recruit is a mentality to go along with physical attributes. We just need more cam taylors

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

They didn't coach up Ozigbo last year?

But did they???? 

I think O really made more strides on the S&C side of things(namely speed improvement).  He got a chance after being overlooked for Bell.  How much was it Devine’s personal vestment to himself????  Quotes were said so much last year about his work ethic(staying after practice to work, last to leave the weight room, watching film all the time).  Did the staff help some??  Probably some, but that may have been more of Devine doubling down on himself

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

But did they???? 

I think O really made more strides on the S&C side of things(namely speed improvement).  He got a chance after being overlooked for Bell.  How much was it Devine’s personal vestment to himself????  Quotes were said so much last year about his work ethic(staying after practice to work, last to leave the weight room, watching film all the time).  Did the staff help some??  Probably some, but that may have been more of Devine doubling down on himself

So his first 4 years he just coasted and didn't work on himself? Then Frost shows up and he's like ope better work now? I don't doubt that Devine worked hard, but I'm sorry a player doesn't change drastically in one year without coaches working with him. 

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

Folks need to stop panicking. Name one kid in the trenches that you know will be drafted?  We've known for some time that we don't have the talent to compete at an elite level. And Frost doesn't have a magic wand to immediately change that. Folks should calm down knowing this is a building process that will take time.

We have the second coming of Dave Rimington at center, what are you talking about?

• Haha 1