Nebraska Football Staff

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

But did they???? 

I think O really made more strides on the S&C side of things(namely speed improvement).  He got a chance after being overlooked for Bell.  How much was it Devine’s personal vestment to himself????  Quotes were said so much last year about his work ethic(staying after practice to work, last to leave the weight room, watching film all the time).  Did the staff help some??  Probably some, but that may have been more of Devine doubling down on himself

Great point.  What I hated with previous staff's is that some of the players seemed to regress with coaching...

10 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

So his first 4 years he just coasted and didn't work on himself? Then Frost shows up and he's like ope better work now? I don't doubt that Devine worked hard, but I'm sorry a player doesn't change drastically in one year without coaches working with him. 

Devine had even said last year he had totally different work ethic and dedication to the game.  Secondly he wasn’t as good as a totally healthy Tre Bryant.  I’m not saying the coaches played no role, but I’d chalk it more to personally revelation 

• Plus1 1

For good or the bad, this is our staff for a very long time.  If Frost wants to make staff changes then he can, but no more canning guys and hoping the next one will be different.  No wonder we don't have an identify. I bet we'd be a lot better team if we still had Bill Callahan .  At least better than three new regimes.   

4 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Devine had even said last year he had totally different work ethic and dedication to the game.  Secondly he wasn’t as good as a totally healthy Tre Bryant.  I’m not saying the coaches played no role, but I’d chalk it more to personally revelation 

Ha, ok that had nothing to do with the coaches. So what about Lamar Jackson's improvement was that all him? Or how about Morgam going from good to record breaking? Carlos and Khalil have improved this year. There's examples of this staff developing players all over. 

32 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

So his first 4 years he just coasted and didn't work on himself? Then Frost shows up and he's like ope better work now? I don't doubt that Devine worked hard, but I'm sorry a player doesn't change drastically in one year without coaches working with him. 

No, but he can get a hell of a lot more opportunities from one year to the next. I don’t doubt they helped him with coaching, but a running back who all of a sudden sees his carries increase has the opportunity to get into a rhythm and flow and all of a sudden he looks like a different player. 

I had said the the years before, under Riley, that he needed the chance to show what he could do. But he was just buried on Riley’s bench. 

Im sure Frost’s staff helped, but the talent was there prior too. 

8 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Ha, ok that had nothing to do with the coaches. So what about Lamar Jackson's improvement was that all him? Or how about Morgam going from good to record breaking? Carlos and Khalil have improved this year. There's examples of this staff developing players all over. 

Because the Stanley was a an unknown going into last year:facepalm:

please list Wyatt mazour next

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

Because the Stanley was a an unknown going into last year:facepalm:

please list Wyatt mazour next

Holy cow dude, did I say he was unknown? I said he improved. You said this staff can't develop guys so I listed guys who had their best seasons under the staff. But go ahead and just keep ignoring me disproving your point. 

3 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

No, but he can get a hell of a lot more opportunities from one year to the next. I don’t doubt they helped him with coaching, but a running back who all of a sudden sees his carries increase has the opportunity to get into a rhythm and flow and all of a sudden he looks like a different player. 

I had said the the years before, under Riley, that he needed the chance to show what he could do. But he was just buried on Riley’s bench. 

Im sure Frost’s staff helped, but the talent was there prior too. 

The talent is there for all sorts of players and for many it never materializes. If he'd gotten chances under Riley would he have done the same maybe but you can't look at Zig last year and say he didn't look like a different player. 

Honestly I think you proved my point. A staff figuring out how to improve and utilize a players speaks directly to their ability to develop them. 

13 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You’re also talking about older guys in their senior years. Just the age and experience helps to slow the game down for them too. While I’m sure the coaching plays it’s role, the time and simple maturity make a huge difference as well. 

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

The talent is there for all sorts of players and for many it never materializes. If he'd gotten chances under Riley would he have done the same maybe but you can't look at Zig last year and say he didn't look like a different player. 

Honestly I think you proved my point. A staff figuring out how to improve and utilize a players speaks directly to their ability to develop them. 

I think utilizing and developing are two different concepts. But maybe that’s just semantics, I don’t know. 

But if you’re going to use Morgan and Ozigbo as examples of how the staff is developing players then you have to answer the biggest question of the year.....

how does a true freshman play like AM did last year, and then like this this year. And please don’t trot out the tired old line of no Morgan, Oz, OL, etc.  Those players being gone didn’t make him a tentative, at times almost afraid, runner. Or make it so he misses open receivers by huge amounts this year. 

A year under the staff and there is no, none, zero question that he has regressed. 

Out of the entire 2016 AND 2017 classes we have 11 contributors and a ton of guys who aren’t even on the roster and OSU has probably 11 pros from those classes. It’s gonna be hard to turn this team around I mean we won 4 games for a reason last year. We were truly outclassed and as much as the offseason is about transforming bodies and becoming better athletes but that’s great when have depth around great talents when you look at both sides of the ball we still don’t have those elite or dynamic players sprinkled throughout the roster last week was more our speed and it was plenty positives to take away from it. I just hope those visitors see how much we can use them immediately 

5 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

You’re also talking about older guys in their senior years. Just the age and experience helps to slow the game down for them too. While I’m sure the coaching plays it’s role, the time and simple maturity make a huge difference as well. 

Haha alright I guess Shakeem Griffin at UCF was because he was an older guy. And Mackenzie Milton who no one recruited was just a fluke. There is a laundry list of players this staff has developed, but you guys have some excuse for why it was not them so I'm not winning this. 

5 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Haha alright I guess Shakeem Griffin at UCF was because he was an older guy. And Mackenzie Milton who no one recruited was just a fluke. There is a laundry list of players this staff has developed, but you guys have some excuse for why it was not them so I'm not winning this. 

A laundry list?

i think that is as extreme as people saying they haven’t developed anyone. The true answer is obviously somewhere in the middle. But since you listed two out of your laundry list, I’ll counter with one......what happened to AM?

and by the way, if you don’t think age, maturity, and game experience don’t make a huge difference then I just don’t know what to say.