Nebraska Football Staff

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

A laundry list?

i think that is as extreme as people saying they haven’t developed anyone. The true answer is obviously somewhere in the middle. But since you listed two out of your laundry list, I’ll counter with one......what happened to AM?

and by the way, if you don’t think age, maturity, and game experience don’t make a huge difference then I just don’t know what to say. 

I have listed Devine, Morgan, Khalil, Carlos, Lamar, Griffin and Milton. Someone who knows football better than me could probably name more. 

I don't believe Martinez has regressed. He's shown he can be the same player he was last year. You seem to think that losing your top WR and being jittery from a terrible OL isn't reason for a QB struggling mentally. So, I don't have anything else for you. 

If you don't think they can develop players then fine I've tried to make my point. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I have listed Devine, Morgan, Khalil, Carlos, Lamar, Griffin and Milton. Someone who knows football better than me could probably name more. 

I don't believe Martinez has regressed. He's shown he can be the same player he was last year. You seem to think that losing your top WR and being jittery from a terrible OL isn't reason for a QB struggling mentally. So, I don't have anything else for you. 

If you don't think they can develop players then fine I've tried to make my point. 

Martinez looks so much more comfortable under center.  At least for the two to three plays that I've seen.

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

If you don’t think Martinez has regressed this year then there’s no point in discussing this further. And for the record, not once have I said they can’t develop players. I said I think other factors were a bigger issue in Ozigbo’s emergence last year. 

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Martinez looks so much more comfortable under center.  At least for the two to three plays that I've seen.

I honestly think it's because he doesn't have to worry about the snap. The bad snaps and free release rushers from the OL are in his head in my opinion. Until he trusts his OL again I think he struggles. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I honestly think it's because he doesn't have to worry about the snap. The bad snaps and free release rushers from the OL are in his head in my opinion. Until he trusts his OL again I think he struggles. 

We may disagree a lot, but not on this. I do think that is a big factor. When you can’t put your focus on the play and reads in front of you because you’re  guessing where the snap will be that has to mess with your head. 

But then, continual high snaps, and not correcting it, is back on the staff. Snap it better or bring in someone who will. 

• Fire 1

I know it.  I think the line doesn't have to hold blocks as long either if under center.  I could be wrong as I really don't know much, but it seems this line could pull, run trap plays, and other scheme type plays.  Maybe it time for the wishbone? 

Just now, krc1995 said:

I know it.  I think the line doesn't have to hold blocks as long either if under center.  I could be wrong as I really don't know much, but it seems this line could pull, run trap plays, and other scheme type plays.  Maybe it time for the wishbone? 

It does take one facet out of the play, AM having to put extra focus on just getting the ball in his hands. Something that should be almost automatic and done without even consciously thinking about.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

We may disagree a lot, but not on this. I do think that is a big factor. When you can’t put your focus on the play and reads in front of you because you’re  guessing where the snap will be that has to mess with your head. 

But then, continual high snaps, and not correcting it, is back on the staff. Snap it better or bring in someone who will. 

The staff and others have said it hasn't been a problem in practice so it must be a game stress thing. If Will Farniok is comparable to Cam then switching them makes sense. However I'm guessing you sacrifice center ability for better snaps. So a double edge sword. 

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Well shotgun should make it so you don't hold blocks as long because the QB is already deep. However if you can't snap it right that's not the case. I think we've seen more under center each week so maybe Frost sees the same, but it fundamentally changes his offense to do that. 

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

50 points behind? And yes the recruiting can improve that much. Give this staff at least three top 20 classes and this game likely looks a lot different. 

Yes 50.  If OSU doesn’t let off the throttle that’s what we are looking at.  As for the ceiling comment...perhaps your definition of that is different from mine.  To me that means you won’t reach it unless everything goes near perfectly and you will likely be worse to much worse.... you are ok with that?

1 minute ago, melscott62 said:

Yes 50.  If OSU doesn’t let off the throttle that’s what we are looking at.  As for the ceiling comment...perhaps your definition of that is different from mine.  To me that means you won’t reach it unless everything goes near perfectly and you will likely be worse to much worse.... you are ok with that?

I guess that's not how I look at a ceiling. I don't agree that Wisconsin is our ceiling so I'm not ok with it because I think we can be better  However striving to get to the level of a team who has averaged 10 wins per season since 2002 is a good place to get based on our struggles lately. 

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I guess that's not how I look at a ceiling. I don't agree that Wisconsin is our ceiling so I'm not ok with it because I think we can be better  However striving to get to the level of a team who has averaged 10 wins per season since 2002 is a good place to get based on our struggles lately. 

Huh? You wouldn't trade all their division titles and conference titles for the up and down piss poor results we've had since the 2012 beat down from duh duh duh... Wisconsin?

There is nothing wrong with Wisconsin. I do question if the best option for us isn’t copying them.  I think we could be a better recruiting version of them.  But I think we have to give Scott a good 5-7 years.  But what I saw was tonight was very disturbing.  For me that might have been the most deflating game I have seen as a Nebraska fan.

3 minutes ago, FTW said:

Huh? You wouldn't trade all their division titles and conference titles for the up and down piss poor results we've had since the 2012 beat down from duh duh duh... Wisconsin?

What? I've been saying that getting to Wisconsin's level would be good based on our recent track record? I'm also saying I think Nebraska has a higher ceiling.