QB play

Archy1221

14 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

UCF reference is to the fact that many in Husker nation assumed that since Frost went on a complete turn around from year 1 to year 2, it would happen here.  Not the case, and I think most didn't think it would be the case, but were wishing it was.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, sorry I missed your point. 

I know I didn’t expect a miraculous turnaround like there, but I am disappointed that we still make so many mental  and undisciplined errors (the timeout at Colorado is the one that really sticks out), but the reality is he’s still early in his career  as a head coach too. 

At the risk of sounding like a pompous...

AM is not making good reads & I could give endless examples all season in run and pass game.  But, if you watch the opening play of the game, NU is in an empty set w/3 to the wide side. 

OSU is covering those 3 with 2 & inside leverage from OLB, & FS in deep middle.  This is clearly cover 3, but more importantly NU has OSU out-numbered/out-leveraged to the wide side.  This is the side the field a QB should identify pre-snap to target post-snap. 

Mo motions from the #1 WR (closest to sideline) to #3 (closest to LT) and NU run a concept commonly known as "7 Ins" to that side of the field.  Its a variation of the smash concept, #3 runs a 7 or corner route, #2 & #1 run 5 yards Ins.  It's a Hi-Low concept designed to read the CB.  If he bits on the #1 WR, you throw the corner, if he stays disciplined (deep) in C3, you throw the In to #1. 

And, post-snap, the play was there.  Mo fly's off the line & runs a corner, the CB drops, & it should have been an easy pitch and catch to #1 WR on the 5 yard In w/space to potentially make a play after the catch. 

Instead, its obvious AM predetermined pre-snap he was taking the route combo to the right into the boundary.  It was covered post-snap & he ran. 

Not the end of the world, but I think it's an easy example to demonstrate that he's not reading the defense the way he needs to for Frost's offense to run effectively.  I mean, in this example, he's not even choosing the correct side of the field to read, and I don't think you need a deep understanding of football to freeze this play pre-snap and recognize the post-snap advantage is to the left.

• Plus1 5

AM is obviously a great practice player, but struggles to make his reads in a game. Not sure what the solution is to change that, but what little I have seen of Noah Vedral, it's obvious he has the basic ability and the confidence to run the Scott Frost offense. I'd definitely give Noah the chance to start.

Martinez isnt trusting his eyes because the line is so bad and frankly looks like he has forgotten how to throw a football.  He needs to sit.  I would go with McCaffery of you think he is close to ready.  Go run heavy and go with a lot more the under center stuff.  It's time to accept martinez may not be the guy and this might be another rebuilding year.

I'm really looking forward to this next game, I want to see how Martinez responds, I think he comes out looking a lot more relaxed and focused and has a good rest of the season.  IF he looks like crap, Frost does need to sit his butt and let Vedral take the reins a bit, that by itself might be enough for Martinez to pull his head out though I think it won't be necessary.  

Our offensive line is garbage, has been in every game this season and I don't believe that is going to get any better without a major talent infusion.  The need to recruit some centers is obvious.

7 hours ago, floridacorn said:

At the risk of sounding like a pompous...

AM is not making good reads & I could give endless examples all season in run and pass game.  But, if you watch the opening play of the game, NU is in an empty set w/3 to the wide side. 

OSU is covering those 3 with 2 & inside leverage from OLB, & FS in deep middle.  This is clearly cover 3, but more importantly NU has OSU out-numbered/out-leveraged to the wide side.  This is the side the field a QB should identify pre-snap to target post-snap. 

Mo motions from the #1 WR (closest to sideline) to #3 (closest to LT) and NU run a concept commonly known as "7 Ins" to that side of the field.  Its a variation of the smash concept, #3 runs a 7 or corner route, #2 & #1 run 5 yards Ins.  It's a Hi-Low concept designed to read the CB.  If he bits on the #1 WR, you throw the corner, if he stays disciplined (deep) in C3, you throw the In to #1. 

And, post-snap, the play was there.  Mo fly's off the line & runs a corner, the CB drops, & it should have been an easy pitch and catch to #1 WR on the 5 yard In w/space to potentially make a play after the catch. 

Instead, its obvious AM predetermined pre-snap he was taking the route combo to the right into the boundary.  It was covered post-snap & he ran. 

Not the end of the world, but I think it's an easy example to demonstrate that he's not reading the defense the way he needs to for Frost's offense to run effectively.  I mean, in this example, he's not even choosing the correct side of the field to read, and I don't think you need a deep understanding of football to freeze this play pre-snap and recognize the post-snap advantage is to the left.

Great post and I agree 100%. 

Difference for me is the talent gap on the d-lines. That probably holds true for most elite programs as you need to get home with 4 anymore to stand a chance.

Our d-line is decent but OSU, like Michigan, is just on another level. They recruit so much better at that position. 

When you add in that our QB doesn’t make the correct reads, it makes any ability we have to scheme/cover our weakness irrelevant vs a team like that. 

Were we going to beat OSU last night? No. That team is really good. However, we made that defense look like the 86 bears. 47 yards passing?  Guys were open. You need to have a signal caller who can read a defense. 

Side note: I’ve seen some folks saying fields isn’t good. What game are they watching? He was generally making the right reads based on the defense. He hits his receivers in stride and the touch on two of those tds was elite. The guy is a baller and appears ahead of AM with only 5 starts under his belt (probably why he was the #1 recruit coming out of HS)

1 hour ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Martinez isnt trusting his eyes because the line is so bad and frankly looks like he has forgotten how to throw a football.  He needs to sit.  I would go with McCaffery of you think he is close to ready.  Go run heavy and go with a lot more the under center stuff.  It's time to accept martinez may not be the guy and this might be another rebuilding year.

This isn't all on the Lin.  They are bad, yes.  Martinez can't trust his eyes because he cannot process or see what is laid out pre-snap and while the play happens.  He has roughly <3 seconds, after a bad snap, to make his progressions and fire it.

He isn't doing it.

10 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Our offensive line had trouble against southern Alabama.  It does not matter who we play at qb, as they have no time pass.  Our line is horrible.

Of course, the opposite could also be said.  AM had 3 interceptions in his first 7 attempts, and none of those were because of the O line.  It doesn't matter who we play on the O line, if the QB play is that bad.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Of course, the opposite could also be said.  AM had 3 interceptions in his first 7 attempts, and none of those were because of the O line.  It doesn't matter who we play on the O line, if the QB play is that bad.

1. He was scrabbling to his right.

2. He had to throw early due to pressure.

3. He was back peddling due to pressure.

2 int were bad throws, but this kid has lost confidence in his ol as he knows hes going to get hit. 

• Plus1 2