It. Does. Not. Matter.

49 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

The W/L doesn't matter but at one point Nebraska was getting beaten 48-0 while getting outgained 502-79 in the 3rd Q. At home. At night. Very similar to the Mike Riley game vs OSU in 2017.

No it wasn’t. I was at that game in 2017, and to compare the 2 is apples and oranges. The biggest thing I saw was the gross difference in athletes on that field... the talent of players was vastly different. That is not something a second year coach can fix this far in... yet. 

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, FTW said:

Every f#&%ing game SHOULD matter!

This game mattered because it showed how far we truly are from being a championship level team. Most of us realistic fans thought we would lose this game. Of course we didn't want to get blown out, but it showed us that we have a long way to go still. Ohio State is stacked with top talent, and we are still building our roster. It will take time to build this team to where it needs to be.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, WildBillMoos said:

Yeah recruits totally don’t care about getting s#!t on by a legitimate top ten team. 

Down size this all you want. It mattered. And it will for a few years. 

Top recruits still go to Michigan and they get embarrassed every year by OSU. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

I stated before the game that win or lose, the result of this game won't be as instructive as the results of other games this year.

As a program, Nebraska is 26-29 in their last 55 games. Ohio State is 53-6 in their last 59 games. Nebraska is trying to pull itself out of a funk created by inept coaching and dismal recruiting. Ohio State is transitioning its program from one of the best coaches and recruiters of all time, but is always supremely-talented. Justin Fields made Ohio State so much better than the team that scraped by Nebraska 36-31 last year. This was a mismatch. 

Anticipating this game and getting hyped for what it could mean was fun. But, honestly, we had more chance of winning the Powerball than beating Ohio State and thinking of the possibilities of winning was very similar to imagining what you would do with your jackpot winnings. Nebraska didn't win tonight and they looked awful. But they were playing Ohio State - who is going to make a lot of teams look awful. 

What's more instructive, and what will matter more, is how they play next week against Northwestern, the following week at Minnesota, against Indiana after the bye, and at Purdue the week after that. Those are the teams that, Nebraska will beat if they're as talented and well-coached as we think, and those are the wins that will signal a step forward from last year, albeit not as big a step as we want to take. 

I agree with most all of this.  I'm guessing there will be 8-10 players on this OSU team that are NFL players, at least.  Do we have any?  It was hard to not get on the hype train, as I know I did from time to time, but I also said early on that 6 or 7 wins this year would be a nice step forward.  I still have full faith in Scott Frost being the guy to turn things around here.  He just got saddled with a class D roster that had a failing mental state while having to compete in a Class A league.  

When he was hired, I was all for the 7 year contract because I felt it most likely would take that long to rebuild the program.

Not playing other players during the game is a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm a fan, not a coach.  If Frost truly believes that Adrian is "the guy", then I can see his decision to keep him in the game is all about building the dudes character.  It could also be a matter of he and the other coaches looking at the depth and knowing there is no where to go right now.  I feel badly for him.

Two things are for sure.  Next Saturday I'll be all in on the Husker football team, and I'll still hate Notre Dame.  :-)

Slusher's tweet during the game shows that it mattered.  Lots of folks on this board viewed it as a big recruiting weekend.  It was.  The game was a revelation  ... more than a setback.

The game showed that in a year where we felt we got better, the improvement by a new OSU Coach, his staff, his recruiting ... far exceeded us over this past year.  Or, we just caught OSU off gsurd last year (more of what I think, plus AM played well).

In the end, we have to work harder and trust that we are doing things right with the past few classes and put it all into perspective.

I lost a marriage over a period of years.  I also recovered from an addiction over a period of years.  Words can change immediately  ... actions that are truly different take time to be seen.  This is more important when you are talking about a 150 team roster.

In Frost I trust.

• Fire 1