It. Does. Not. Matter.

6 hours ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

After falling behind 14-0, Nebraska changed it's offensive playcalling and marched deep into Ohio State's territory. It honestly felt like they were going to score and make it 14-7 when Martinez slightly sailed a pass over Wandale's hand, which deflected it into an Ohio State player that was on the ground. 

Would 14-7 be a lot different than a backbreaking turnover? Absolutely. Psychologically deflating for a still fragile team playing against the #5 and arguably better than that team in the nation.

Cudda, wudda, shudda... We were down 48-0 at one point, then Ohio State showed us pity.

6 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Exactly why the game mattered.  By year 2 we should be able to show some improvement over the Riley and Pelini years.  To me there is no indication that this program is moving forward.  Frost saying that he knows that the team is headed upward is the only thing that makes it believable.  Not so much that I believe him but I hope that Frost being a winner will eventually rub off on the team.  BTW, I think 1 or 2 wins from NW, Indy and PU will be lucky.  

I think trying in single game outcomes is difficult - especially when that single game is against what may be the best or second best team in the country. 

That's why I think we'll learn more about where this team is headed over the next four games. Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue aren't slouches. They're not glamorous teams that'll pull recruits and draw attention, but they're important. 

Nebraska is even in their series against Northwestern since joining the Big Ten, with Northwestern winning 3 of the last 4. If we're a better team than last year, we'll beat them. 

Nebraska leads the series against Minnesota 5-3 since joining the Big Ten, but the series is split in the last 6 games. If we're a better team than last year, we'll beat them. 

Nebraska has played Indiana once since joining the Big Ten, winning 27-22 in 2016. Indiana always seems to hang around with most teams. If we're a better team, we'll beat them. 

Nebraska is 4-2 against Purdue since joining the Big Ten, though Purdue won last year's game in Lincoln 42-28. If we're a better team, we'll beat them. 

I think I'll know more about this team after these games. These are the teams Nebraska should beat on a regular basis if it wants to be contender in the conference, just like Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Colorado were the teams Nebraska needed to beat to be a contender in the Big XII. 

• Plus1 7
6 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

This is something some people just dont or refuse to get. When osu put in the backups in the 4th those were still 4 and 5 star guys that will be all confrence or all americans next year when all these nfl level guys that are starting leave. Did you see Nebraska backups on osu last drive? Walkons on every level of the defense. That's the difference and its going to take years to fix. I hate that it will take that long but it's just the way it is. Recruiting rankings matter, having players that were recruited to fit your scheme matter getting those  guys experience in the system matter. 

Not just recruiting rankings, because ours haven't been that bad, but keeping recruits here too. All of the best players from Rileys best class jumped ship. Not alot you can do when you are working with the group of upperclassman that we have cobbled together.

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many elite teams rely on freshman and sophmores as their best players? The answer is none.

This. If you look at Ohio State's starting lineup', not only are they littered with 4 and 5 star talent, but those players have at least 3 years in their program. It counts for something. It comes from several iterations of recruiting. Not a 1 and a half.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Danimal said:

I didn't expect a win by any means but I'm still upset about the outcome. This staff and team put-on an utter sh#t-show. 

They have put on the same show all year, though. Not one player on the Huskers would make the two deep at Ohio State outside of the QB. Not one. Watching both teams play this year, it's almost surprising they didn't lose by even more. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

They have put on the same show all year, though. Not one player on the Huskers would make the two deep at Ohio State outside of the QB. Not one. Watching both teams play this year, it's almost surprising they didn't lose by even more. 

When Kirk said he thinks OSU has been the best team in the country this year he wasn't lying. Sometimes you run into a buzz saw

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

When Kirk said he thinks OSU has been the best team in the country this year he wasn't lying. Sometimes you run into a buzz saw

Exactly. And the entire show this week built up the Huskers bigger than they actually are. Ohio State remembers last year in their place. They have a new coach who has been there, they hear all the talk about Alabama having no equal while they run out a stable of NFL defenders. 

More concerning is the play of Martinez and the playcalling. Has there ever been a coach at any level admit to bad playcalling? Don't think so. But they fix it siutationally week to week. Frost has not done that and he is poor at game planning for the other team while coaches on the other sideline, even in losses, scheme for the Huskers acutely and with some success in every single game this year. Illinois should not have been that close. 

Where are excuses being made? I don't see excuses, just calling out the fact that this game doesn't tell us much about where Nebraska is as how they perform over the next four games.

Nebraska needs to learn to walk before it learns to run. Sometimes you stumble and fall on that journey. It doesn't mean you need new shoes. This is going to take time. There will be more stumbles along the way, but they will get there. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I think it would go better although we’d still lose. 

I know we would lose, and the only reason it would go better is I bet Day pulls his starters a LOT earlier. If Ohio State goes undefeated - which looks like the most likely scenario - they're going to the playoff. No way Day wants to risk a season-ending injury to anyone.

I think we can keep their backups under 48 points.  :D