Ohio State Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

Yep. Been lurking a while. Decided to join. The problem? Hype versus reality of the situation. Scott got handed a crap sandwich from the get go. He can change the culture and get them to buy in. But its up to the individual players to believe in themselves. I saw that tonight. I saw most of them give their best through all 4 quarters. A year or two ago, that never happened. They just gave up. What I do see is a lack of fire on the o-line from some of the players. I cant blame Frost for it. He can only teach those and line up the best he has right now. The major problem is they cannot open holes for runs and cannot block the ends of the line for crap. I have seen this all last season, and the 4 previous games of this season. Some of those guys move like they are still in practice at half speed. Until that player "gets it" them it will still be a problem. As for the secondary of the defense, some of those corners are just not speedy or big enough to keep up with most elite teams wide receivers. Lack of a consistent pass rush is a major problem as well.  Most of those kids know nothing but losing for the past 3 to 4 years. Until they actually start believing in themselves more than what they are this is what it will be. It will change, it will take time, but it will change. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, BetterDayByDay said:

Yep. Been lurking a while. Decided to join. The problem? Hype versus reality of the situation. Scott got handed a crap sandwich from the get go. He can change the culture and get them to buy in. But its up to the individual players to believe in themselves. I saw that tonight. I saw most of them give their best through all 4 quarters. A year or two ago, that never happened. They just gave up. What I do see is a lack of fire on the o-line from some of the players. I cant blame Frost for it. He can only teach those and line up the best he has right now. The major problem is they cannot open holes for runs and cannot block the ends of the line for crap. I have seen this all last season, and the 4 previous games of this season. Some of those guys move like they are still in practice at half speed. Until that player "gets it" them it will still be a problem. As for the secondary of the defense, some of those corners are just not speedy or big enough to keep up with most elite teams wide receivers. Lack of a consistent pass rush is a major problem as well.  Most of those kids know nothing but losing for the past 3 to 4 years. Until they actually start believing in themselves more than what they are this is what it will be. It will change, it will take time, but it will change. 

Killer first post! The part about our secondary is so true. Agsinst less athletic wideouts you can see they are pretty well coached but when the athleticism is exposed it turns a bit ugly. That said, not many secondaries in the country are covering that group of wide outs well

1 hour ago, BetterDayByDay said:

I'm just wondering why you are calling me out, saying you are better than me!!! :D

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Woah this is genius and I'm sure they haven't though about that. Quick someone get a line to Frost that he needs to tell the kids to get better. That's what will fix it. 

You're only as good as the caliber of the players on the team.  It showed last night who has the five star athletes and who has what has been many years of poor recruiting.

9 hours ago, BetterDayByDay said:

I’m not at practice but are practices physical or are they replicating how practice goes? I know frost said he wanted. Physical practices like TO but are we practicing like it’s a game? 

19 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Well at some point they need to take the kid gloves off and tell these kids if they want to be OSU or Wisconsin then it’s time to play like it, and sure as s#!t time to work like it. 

But this is a total non-starter. To understand why, google 'Ohio State recruiting rankings 201x' and look at the numbers. Look who they've got going into the NFL on their roster. Then look at our roster. Now back at theirs - and one more time back at ours.

We've landed some defensive talent that can really get us into a place where we can win the West over the next couple of seasons - Pola-Gates, Ty Robinson, Nick Henrich, just to name a few. Those are guys you build a conference championship team around. 

Then on the offensive line, you've got 6'9 and 6'7 Bryce Benhart and Brant Banks. But those five guys mentioned are true freshmen. It's going to take a couple years to get them going.

If we can get some consistent QB play out of Martinez and get guys like Wan'Dale, Washington, and Thompkins going this thing could be great. Just going to take some time.

• Plus1 4
7 hours ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

If you want to follow a team whose coaches are honest and blunt in their press conference, go follow Mike Leach and Washington State. 

Called his players, fat, dumb, happy, and entitled. 

I loved it. Also watched last weeks presser where instead of answering questions he ranks all the mascots chances in a free for all fight. His final answer until we get one of those "harry potter types" to research how to kill or exactly what a sun devil is he cannot answer. Best 10 mins of my day.

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Heres the only problem i have with this statement.  There were plenty of sports analystis who said Mike Riley was a great hire.  Hell plenty of people on this board said the same thing.  So even though i love Coach Frost and i think he is the guy who can bring success here.  Color me im more a seer than a believer.

• Plus1 1