Next 4 Games

huskerguy

Most football coaches and analysts say football is a game of matchups. Last night our lack of pass rush on an elite offensive team with one of the best dual threat QBs was a massive mismatch. Same was our still developing OLine versus an elite DE. I see Nebraska’s skill players being a problem for the opposing teams and our defense not getting exposed like last night because we are on a level talent playing field. I personally think we go 4-0 with MN being the only team giving us trouble with their passing attack.

• Plus1 3

The next four games are the important ones which will make or break the season in terms of whether we manage a bowl game, etc.  The Ohio State was penciled in as a big LOSS since last year by almost everybody with a reasonably objective opinion.  The only disappointing aspect of last night's game was the blowout nature of it.  But it is not all that surprising when one considers the performance by Ohio State in their first four games vs the Huskers' up and down - fits and spurts - play in games 1-4.

Hopefully the players are not too discouraged because practically all of their realistic goals for the 2019 season remain well within reach.   The Big Ten West is still fully available and of course a good bowl game and all that the extra practices etc will entail are there for the taking.  They are quite capable of playing well enough to win every remaining game, including Wisconsin with their best game.   The matchup with the Buckeyes was gong to take lots of help by winning (not losing) turnover and field position battles, etc.   We came up empty but this team has lots to play for and can make all their hard work well worth it if they buckle down now and go for it. 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Open as an 8 point favorite Saturday

I think we will rebound and win this game. 8 points seem high, but after getting pounded by Michigan last year we regrouped and played much better. Year 2 in the program should make a difference from last year IMO. Ohio State looks elite and we played poorly..... I was at the game and saw it first hand.  Martinez didn't play well, if that starts again next week I could see Frost putting in Vedral for a few  series. Hopefully that will help if it happen and he performs. This next game will be crucial for the rest of the season.

My Iowa friends are grilling me. Winning that game is a must!

• Plus1 2

I'm still guessing 4-0. We have the talent to matchup , we're finding what we do well, and I expect improvement from the coaching staff. I believe the OSU game is an anomaly, at this point I think the Wisconsin game will be similar....a different level at this time. I too bought into the preseason hype. We're still a young team and building depth.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

So far this season,

(1) our OL is simply atrocious

(2) Martinez has had more bad plays than good and his inconsistency is killing us

(3) our center can’t learn how to snap the ball correctly after five weeks of practice and games

(4) our play calling is predictable most of the time

(5) we continue to commit the stupidest penalties at the worst times ever

(6) we continue to play undisciplined football and turn the ball over way too many times which keeps opposing teams in the game even if they are less talented than us

(7) our coaches severely underestimated what it takes to turn things around and seem clueless at this point

(8) we are not taking enough advantage of our best weapons

Based on the above, we can go 0-4 in our next 4 games if we don’t start playing smart football. Of course, we are more than capable to go 4-0 if we play smart disciplined football, which seems harder to do for this team. Remember that Minnesota’s OL is larger than the Vikings OL, so that will be a challenge and definitely not an easy game at all.

14 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'm still guessing 4-0. We have the talent to matchup , we're finding what we do well, and I expect improvement from the coaching staff. I believe the OSU game is an anomaly, at this point I think the Wisconsin game will be similar....a different level at this time. I too bought into the preseason hype. We're still a young team and building depth.

Right now Wisconsin beats us but we match up way better against them. It wouldn't be like last night, I think that is going to be a tight game.

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

So far this season,

(1) our OL is simply atrocious

(2) Martinez has had more bad plays than good and his inconsistency is killing us

(3) our center can’t learn how to snap the ball correctly after five weeks of practice and games

(4) our play calling is predictable most of the time

(5) we continue to commit the stupidest penalties at the worst times ever

(6) we continue to play undisciplined football and turn the ball over way too many times which keeps opposing teams in the game even if they are less talented than us

(7) our coaches severely underestimated what it takes to turn things around and seem clueless at this point

(8) we are not taking enough advantage of our best weapons

Based on the above, we can go 0-4 in our next 4 games if we don’t start playing smart football. Of course, we are more than capable to go 4-0 if we play smart disciplined football, which seems harder to do for this team. Remember that Minnesota’s OL is larger than the Vikings OL, so that will be a challenge and definitely not an easy game at all.

First of all, Martinez has not made more bad plays than good that is false. Secondly, Minnesota having a big O Line doesn't mean jack. They have not been great at that position this year by any means.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Right now Wisconsin beats us but we match up way better against them. It wouldn't be like last night, I think that is going to be a tight game.

It depends on how Frost reacts to Martinez' lack of confidence under pressure and Martinez' rookie inclination to try to make every play work even when nothing is there. We just saw a Heisman quality QB who knows how to handle busted plays. We need one like that.
I've heard that Wisconsin's D has won them games.

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

It depends on how Frost reacts to Martinez' lack of confidence under pressure and Martinez' rookie inclination to try to make every play work even when nothing is there. We just saw a Heisman quality QB who knows how to handle busted plays. We need one like that.
I've heard that Wisconsin's D has won them games.

Martinez will be fine and that has little to do with what I am talking about but ok

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

First of all, Martinez has not made more bad plays than good that is false. Secondly, Minnesota having a big O Line doesn't mean jack. They have not been great at that position this year by any means.

What proof do you have that martinez did not have more bad plays than good? The only game he played well the entire game is the northern Illinois game. The rest of the games have been a mixed batch. Yesterday, was a complete disaster. Also, have you seen Minnesota play? Their OL is better than ours.