The plays that stick out

Adrian missing the hb on the hb screen on the first drive.  That would have been a 20 yard gain and could have produced some confidence.

Fields qb sweep on their second drive.  I believe this was on third down and stopping them to a field goal would have been huge. We were in man, they motioned a wr to the other side and thats history.

Martinez throwing behind wandale on the out route.  If he leads him wandale would have had the catch and would have been 4th and 1, we would have went for it and who knows what would have happened.

Ohio state having a 30 yard gain with the slot wr. We had a lb on him and just stood no chance in staying with him on the seam route.

-martinez overthrowing wandale for 1st and inside the red zone and the ball magically going to DB-who was on the ground.

-having a lb spy then fields audibles to a pass play with a slant and we have no hook zone to defend it.

To sum it up: day was always a step ahead of Chinander.  Frost had great play calls but poor execution.  Another stat: Nebraska had only one drive that was over 3 plays in the first half and ohio state at least tripled, might have quadrupled our plays ran in the first half. 

• Plus1 2

The jarring sandwich hit on Robinson sticks out to me. That showed they wanted this game more than us. Stronger, faster, smarter, hungrier than every single one of our players. It showed how our offensive line is so unathletic and mediocre whenever they go up against a defense that has a pulse. All the technique in the world won't cover up the fact the lack of athleticism there is up front.

The bright side is there's some young talent there to develop that they've brought in and will continue to bring in. The same can be said for the D-Line. After watching that game, I would have preferred seeing more young and raw talent than inept "experienced" players get snaps.

3 hours ago, Apsu said:

The missed open field tackles were too numerous to count.

It's hard to blame that when guys were so frequently caught out of position and were left in open space one on one against 4/5 star elite talent. And when they were out of position, they were automatically giving up 6-7 yards right away before a tackle was made. That's exactly what a spread offense wants. We just do not have the horses and the speed on defense to go toe to toe against a team like OSU.

I think last year's performance was a fluke against these guys. They fell asleep on us and nearly paid for it but still found a way to win. Great teams can do that. And when great teams have tunnel vision and practice great, they demolish their opponent, like us.

Just now, FTW said:

It's hard to blame that when guys were so frequently caught out of position and were left in open space one on one against 4/5 star elite talent. And when they were out of position, they were automatically giving up 6-7 yards right away before a tackle was made. That's exactly what a spread offense wants. We just do not have the horses and the speed on defense to go toe to toe against a team like OSU.

I think last year's performance was a fluke against these guys. They fell asleep on us and nearly paid for it but still found a way to win. Great teams can do that. And when great teams have tunnel vision and practice great, they demolish their opponent, like us.

I don't really agree with the bolded.  Ohio State was playing some pretty poor football around the time we played them last year.  They'd already been humiliated by Purdue.  After our game, Maryland took them to overtime.  They weren't exactly hitting on all eight cylinders when we played them last year.  While this year's version of Ohio State looks like a World Beater, I bet they go through a similar stretch this season. 

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I don't really agree with the bolded.  Ohio State was playing some pretty poor football around the time we played them last year.  They'd already been humiliated by Purdue.  After our game, Maryland took them to overtime.  They weren't exactly hitting on all eight cylinders when we played them last year.  While this year's version of Ohio State looks like a World Beater, I bet they go through a similar stretch this season. 

Ok, so you do agree that it was in fact a fluke of a game last year vs. OSU. Got it.

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I don't. They are gonna have an off game at some point but honestly they looked better under Day last year and they are really playing at a superb level right now. I think there was a bit of a stink around Urban last year that caused his team to underperform. This year they are hungry to prove they can win without him. I think they could end up CFP #1 seed.