Fair catching the kickoff

After that first botched kickoff return out of our own end zone by Robinson, he started fair catching each kickoff in the first half even if it was in the field of play.  While that may have been smart because our blocking on kickoff returns was terrible last night, doesn't that just show that this team is afraid to make plays?  Every big game it's just a total deer in the headlights look.  That was a very small part of the game, but I felt it symbolized what was going on as a whole.  A team that just doesn't have the want or desire to make plays.  And if that's the mentality we have, then no wonder we get stomped out by each decent team we play, and that's why we have these late game collapses in close games such as NW last year and Colorado this year.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, huskerdude171 said:

Oh look, someone who's actual giving an actual analysis of the game instead of drinking koolaid.

That's the funniest thing to me, if you're not sucking the koolaid after another blowout then you're just a negative hater to half the board. What a stupid view, the team is what it is, they struggle in many areas, choosing to be ignorant isn't going change the facts. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

That's the funniest thing to me, if you're not sucking the koolaid after another blowout then you're just a negative hater to half the board. What a stupid view, the team is what it is, they struggle in many areas, choosing to be ignorant isn't going change the facts. 

I understand trying to be optimistic and all but how the hell could you be optimistic after last night.

Truth is this team is a lot farther away from competing with the big boys than a lot of people thought at the start of the season.  The offseason hype is always unrealistic and out of control.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, huskerdude171 said:

After that first botched kickoff return out of our own end zone by Robinson, he started fair catching each kickoff in the first half even if it was in the field of play.  While that may have been smart because our blocking on kickoff returns was terrible last night, doesn't that just show that this team is afraid to make plays?  Every big game it's just a total deer in the headlights look.  That was a very small part of the game, but I felt it symbolized what was going on as a whole.  A team that just doesn't have the want or desire to make plays.  And if that's the mentality we have, then no wonder we get stomped out by each decent team we play, and that's why we have these late game collapses in close games such as NW last year and Colorado this year.

I think it has less to do with the blocking and the team afraid of making plays much more on the new rule that you get to start at the 25.  Those extra yards of field position make a big difference on the occasions when you're getting stuffed at 15.  Plus, there is the safety element too.  

• Fire 1

Special teams are a mess. During the Illinois game i think it was 5 or 6 of the 11 penalties were on special teams. Opening kick last night had penalty then they were off side on a kickoff late in the game. I know the guy that coaches special teams has had somethings that are bigger than football going on but special teams has been terrible.

It is to the point that almost all teams are going to fair catch inside the 10 or better yet take a touch-back for the kicks that enter the endzone.

I hope we continue in the near future of either downing anything in the end zone or fair catching anything inside the 10.

Reason- first kickoff last night we bring it out of the end zone, he is tackled inside the 20 and oh hell yes we also have a penalty and start at our 9 yardline!

Maybe when we get the special teams going we can try to return some but not in the near future.

I don't think it's a lack of desire. It's more of a realization that every time he tries to make a play he gets smashed by 3 unblocked guys at the 15. Why not fair catch it and get 10 more yards to the 25.

Also, Wandale showed plenty of desire to make plays last night even after the game was over and got absolutely lit up because of that. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

Oh look, another overly negative-biased analysis 

Disagree. It's a fair question.

I don't think I ever saw anyone fair catch a kickoff until Nebraska last year. It was generally understood that if the kick landed in the field of play, your fastest and shiftiest playmaker had a few yards advantage to work with.

They had just spent the first half trying to get Wan'dale Robinson in open space, by any means possible, and kick returns are the very definition of open space. When offenses are struggling, special teams can provide the spark. If you're worried you're going to get hurt, penalized, or lose yards.....well that's kind of a losing attitude, isn't it? I think the loudest murmur I heard from the crowd all day was  when Wan'dale caught the ball on the seven and stood there waiting for the Ohio State special teams to arrive.

It's a bad look. Don't recall a lot of other teams using this supposedly practical strategy either

• Plus1 1