Still rooting

ATS Knight

I think this is my first time posting here in a year. I saw that the Huskers had another rough week, so I thought it was a good time to pop in and see how y'all are doing.

I'm still rooting for y'all and Frost. I know that I've preached patience with his system/culture in the past, but the results have definitely been delayed more than I was expecting. I still think he's the best man for the job. 

I wish I had some profound thoughts to bring as someone probably more familiar with the differences between Nebraska and Florida/UCF than most, but it seems like y'all have a pretty good idea of the situation. A few thoughts that I've seen here that I agree with:

-Still believe in Frost. Teams pay a lot to get coaches that won't go anywhere and ones that are proven winners/program builders. Frost is both. 

-Now is a good time to start having hard conversations about the assistant coaches. Some of them we were sad to see go, some we were not.

-Chinander is not good. He sucked at UCF and he's being exposed against Big10 competition without an incredible offense. 

-Mackenzie Milton might have been more special than anyone knew. Frost's offense is difficult to run well. 

Again, I still think Frost is the guy, but his offense seems to be suited to Oregon/Florida speed athletes and doesn't work as well with Midwestern power athletes. That doesn't mean it can't work, just that it will take time. Just like Swinney turning a school in overfished South Carolina around almost entirely with culture, Frost needs to make Nebraska a destination for athletes from all over. 

Still rooting for y'all, go Big Red. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

I didn’t want Chinander from the start but it was the cost of getting Frost to Lincoln. I doubt coach cans Chinander or the special teams coach (both are horrible) and no other school wants them. 

Yeah, nothing you can do about that at the time. There were a few Husker fans that said, "he's gotta be good", but most were saying something like, 'let's hope it works out'. 

But now is a good time to start cleaning house (at the end of the season). 

I don't remember special teams being great, but we've had struggles in the past with special teams. I'm surprised more haven't turned against Walters. He was an empty chair at UCF.

3 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Now is the perfect time for staff changes, though. It shows that Frost is paying attention and tweaking things. Another bad year and it looks like you're trying to save your butt by throwing staff under the bus.

I disagree. Our players are the biggest problem right now. I think we have a great head coach but we still have Mike Riley results. There is a reason for that. 

1 hour ago, lincoln84 said:

I disagree. Our players are the biggest problem right now. I think we have a great head coach but we still have Mike Riley results. There is a reason for that. 

I can't speak to players, but I see y'all having a lot of the same problems with a lot of the same coaches that we did. Difficult for me to speculate more than that. 

We can't run this flashy offense in the B1G without a power running game as an addition. And right now our interior line play is horrible and I don't care if we had the Barry Sanders running back there, it's impossible to run between the tackles with this O-line it seems. I'm not blaming AM for all of the problems, it's not just him. 

9 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

We can't run this flashy offense in the B1G without a power running game as an addition. And right now our interior line play is horrible and I don't care if we had the Barry Sanders running back there, it's impossible to run between the tackles with this O-line it seems. I'm not blaming AM for all of the problems, it's not just him. 

There's a weird thing that happened with Frost that has continued with Heupel. Both of them would run tiny rbs up the middle. It was mostly ineffective and would frequently cost us series, but Frost would continue to run our smallest back despite the criticism and Heupel has continued the tradition. 

I have to assume that they are both idiots or that there is something about this strategy that sets up bigger plays later. Have y'all seen the same thing in your run game?

7 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

There's a weird thing that happened with Frost that has continued with Heupel. Both of them would run tiny rbs up the middle. It was mostly ineffective and would frequently cost us series, but Frost would continue to run our smallest back despite the criticism and Heupel has continued the tradition. 

I have to assume that they are both idiots or that there is something about this strategy that sets up bigger plays later. Have y'all seen the same thing in your run game?

Well I guess I don't think our RB's are tiny by any means, but they definitely need to bulk up some. Washington is 6'1" 190 and kinda lanky so he needs to put some muscle on to survive the B1G and Mills 5'11" 220 and has the look of more of a bruiser back, but hasn't really filled that roll completely just yet. Mills is getting better don't get me wrong, but they both might be in intensive care by the end of the season. Let's not talk about Wan'Dale Robinson running up the middle. He's a GREAT athlete, but we can't rely on him to pound the rock so to speak. He's 5'10" 190 and has some growing to do as well. Felt terrible for the kid with some of the hits he took against OSU. When Mills and Washington went out against Illinois we relied on Robinson to become our back for the rest of that game. 

So we've seen some baffling things so far this season with play calling, but when we threw it back old school and lined up under center and in the I-formation OSU didn't know what to do with us until AM threw a damn INT. :facepalm: