Talent vs Coaching: A New Thread!

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well a 4-8 season is just begging for progress. Not sure I'd call it a fixation.

20 years since a conference championship doesn't strike me as unduly impatient either.

Nebraska fans really are knowledgable and polite as a rule. They still give football the eye test, and something just looks off right now. 

It does look off, but my perspective is it has mostly to do with inexperience.  This is a really young team offensively.

7 hours ago, CapoValley said:

I for one think we should continue to pay our coach in the top three of the conference and scoff that we should expect that to mean we are a top three team in our conference. 

Ok

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's what I don't get.  We have had problems with turnovers for 10+ years through at least three coaching staffs.  Why???

I firmly believe Frost is as capable as anyone to fix it.  I just don't get how or why Nebraska has been so horrible through multiple coaching staffs and multiple players and teams.

It defies logic to me.

The curse of solich. 

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah the turnover thing is weird...like really weird.  I don't get that at all.

I will say this, in all my years of coaching I always won more games when I had better players.  Funny how that worked.

This OSU game is a prime example of why it's so frustrating.  We had three interceptions.  I would say only one of those is because of great defense by the DB.  One would have been a sure TD if it wasn't slightly too high and dumb luck.  The other one the WR was wide open and severely over thrown.  Would have been a big gain and easy catch.  

So often we are killing ourselves.  But, it's been going on for so dang long.

• Plus1 3
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

This OSU game is a prime example of why it's so frustrating.  We had three interceptions.  I would say only one of those is because of great defense by the DB.  One would have been a sure TD if it wasn't slightly too high and dumb luck.  The other one the WR was wide open and severely over thrown.  Would have been a big gain and easy catch.  

I don't know about you but I almost expect it to happen.  I expect turnovers and flags.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My wife and I were discussing that same thing Sat night. How the h$ll does the "killing ourselves" gene get passed on from team to team? Does enough of it remain with each class and coaching change that it gets absorbed into the new players and becomes part of the culture and the standard of play? You would think it could be turned around when a large number of current players are "purged" from the roster. Turnovers, penalties, blown assignments seem to be the only consistent thing in Husker football over the last decade.......A real head scratcher.......:unsure:

9 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

My wife and I were discussing that same thing Sat night. How the h$ll does the "killing ourselves" gene get passed on from team to team? Does enough of it remain with each class and coaching change that it gets absorbed into the new players and becomes part of the culture and the standard of play? You would think it could be turned around when a large number of current players are "purged" from the roster. Turnovers, penalties, blown assignments seem to be the only consistent thing in Husker football over the last decade.......A real head scratcher.......:unsure:

Penalties and turnovers are things that happen much more often to the inferior team due to discrepancies in size and athleticism. The "curse" speaks more to our position as the inferior team over the past decade more than it does to a voodoo hex. It's also why Scott won't get it fixed until we are the more formidable team on the field.

44 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Oakland Raiders fans have been asking the same thing for at least as long. 

36 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Penalties and turnovers are things that happen much more often to the inferior team due to discrepancies in size and athleticism. The "curse" speaks more to our position as the inferior team over the past decade more than it does to a voodoo hex. It's also why Scott won't get it fixed until we are the more formidable team on the field.

No doubt you are correct. Some penalties are incurred because of compensation for a mismatch. PI when you are beat, Offensive holding, etc. However, we have seen "unforced" errors for too often, and mistakes that get us beat by supposedly less talented teams.. Illegal motion, taking the wrong gap, poor pursuit angles, gross overthrows leading to INTs. But, your point is also correct in the sense that, once we are a more talented team, the penalties and mistakes will not matter as much, and we will be able to overcome them more easily. Just as all Husker fans are, I am eagerly looking forward for that day to come......

From a talent perspective Nebraska's roster has 20 - 4* players, 63 - 3* players and a handful of lower rated players that are contributing. Plus, I think there is 8-10 of those 4* players that have been beaten out by 3* or their true freshmen. So, our team is mostly made up of 3* talent with a few 4* players sprinkled in.

OSU has 13 - 5* players, 47 - 4* players, 25 - 3* players and I'd venture to guess no walkon/lower rated players contributing (I didn't check that). So, basically 4-5* players with probably a few underrated 3* guys jumping in.

Illinois has 1 - 5* player, 11 - 4* players and 66 - 3* players plus probably a few walkon/lower rated guys sprinkled in.

We are recruiting at a higher level now and this should shift over time, but it is going to take 3-5 years. In 247's team composite score, we are ranked 24th and every team above and 2 after us have at least 1 - 5* player. We have zero. https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Coaching shouldn't get totally excused and they need to perform/develop better, but the talent gap is real between top 10 teams and Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wouldn't even say that one was great. DB did certainly have himself in good coverage position but he had a better shot at that crappy pass than our wr did.  Obviously much, much more than AM went wrong on Saturday but  him throwing picks early killed any chance of making it a game. Yes on the other two picks we had big plays there for the taking. You can't do that stuff and hang with good teams, let-alone an elite squad like OSU. 

14 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

From a talent perspective Nebraska's roster has 20 - 4* players, 63 - 3* players and a handful of lower rated players that are contributing. Plus, I think there is 8-10 of those 4* players that have been beaten out by 3* or their true freshmen. So, our team is mostly made up of 3* talent with a few 4* players sprinkled in.

OSU has 13 - 5* players, 47 - 4* players, 25 - 3* players and I'd venture to guess no walkon/lower rated players contributing (I didn't check that). So, basically 4-5* players with probably a few underrated 3* guys jumping in.

Illinois has 1 - 5* player, 11 - 4* players and 66 - 3* players plus probably a few walkon/lower rated guys sprinkled in.

We are recruiting at a higher level now and this should shift over time, but it is going to take 3-5 years. In 247's team composite score, we are ranked 24th and every team above and 2 after us have at least 1 - 5* player. We have zero. https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Coaching shouldn't get totally excused and they need to perform/develop better, but the talent gap is real between top 10 teams and Nebraska.

Good stuff.

You are a little off when looking at the 4* upperclassmen. Of the 8 4* upperclassmen only 3 (Raridon, Lee, Anderson) have been beaten out. The others (4) are Farniok, Darrion Daniels, Dismuke, and Jackson. The extra body is Jahkeem Green and he is new/likely redshirting.

12 of the 20 4* are underclassmen. 8 of those are freshman. Only 5 of the 12 underclassmen 4* are playing significant minutes at this point. (Martinez, Washington, Robinson, Jurgens, Tannor) The biggest short term impact should come from the defense. There is at least one 4* redshirting this year at every level of the defense.

If Frost can keep the wheels on then we should see some level of depth and consistency around year 4. All that's left to do is hurry up and wait.

• Plus1 1