What did we learn (Ohio State edition)

r06ue1

We learned many things.

1. Ohio State has always had the same talent level but are now executing better under a new coach than they did the last few seasons under Meyer.

2. Nebraska has not grown much since the 4-2 finish to end last season. In fact we are 3-2 now and would have to beat NW to get to 4-2...with two of those wins in 2019 coming against non P5 teams. This is surprising as we are stuck in neutral compared to where we finished in 2019.

3. For whatever reason Martinez is not running the ball like he did last year which seems to be affecting his entire game. Perhaps a sophomore slump as he transitions away from being a run/pass QB to more of a pass primarily QB.

4. We are missing a big physical WR.

5. Nebraska has huge issues all around on special teams and that continued vs OSU.

6. Frost is open to putting QB under center and running the option. I loved it.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

2 weeks to prepare for Wisconsin.  Need more like 2 years if we are being honest. I would really like to take a money bet with you if you are taking Neb. straight up against Wisconsin this year.  And it wouldn't matter if we wiped the schedule and just started working on them today.

My 2 week comment was based on how the schedules fall for Nebraska and Wisconsin.  I agree that Wisconsin will be a really tall order to prepare for and I think Nebraska will be hard pressed to pull out a W and in re-reading my comment I'm not really sure why you think I inferred that Nebraska could beat Wisconsin.  I'm simply stating that if you're going to have to play Wisconsin, after a bye week and with Wisconsin having to play Ohio State and Iowa in back to back weeks is about the best you can hope for (assuming Nebraska is healthy of course.)

For games like this, I remind myself of what the coaches and AD were saying before the season. The language I remember hearing was about making a bowl, I think they're pretty honest with themselves and where the team is at.

That said, I think this all needs to be taken in context. Look at our 2 deep. How many of those guys are transfers or Tr/rFR/SO? On offense: 3 of 6 WR, 3/12 linemen, our top 2 qb, our top 2 RB. On the whole O, we have 2 seniors in the two deep and they play at the same position, Noa and Mike Williams. 

On D, it's a little better.  1/6 linemen, 3/8 LB, 4/8 in the secondary. Lots more seniors in the two deep on that side too, 8 players total with 6 starting. 

The numbers for tOSU have more guys in year 2 or less in the system as backups and it's still somewhat limited: 8 on offense, they're all at number 2 except fields, 6 on D, all at number 2. They also roughly kept the same system. 

My point is this, getting hammered like we did sucks. It's also not the most surprising thing ever. We've got a young team, seniors that are adjusting to the system, and guys playing out of position (looking at our tackles) because we just didn't have the talent. I'm optimistic, but it's going to take time. When we've been starting young guys, it feels more like we're starting because our older players just weren't good enough. When you look at a team like tOSU, the only young guys they're starting are one's that start because they're that good. 

The Huskers need time to develop, we're still going to take our lumps for a year or two (IMO). All I see from this game is that we're not quite there yet and I knew that. Our team right now is all potential and potential is frustrating. When everything goes right, we're going to look really good, but it's going to be inconsistent. I think things start getting interesting next season and start really clicking year 4. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

My 2 week comment was based on how the schedules fall for Nebraska and Wisconsin.  I agree that Wisconsin will be a really tall order to prepare for and I think Nebraska will be hard pressed to pull out a W and in re-reading my comment I'm not really sure why you think I inferred that Nebraska could beat Wisconsin.  I'm simply stating that if you're going to have to play Wisconsin, after a bye week and with Wisconsin having to play Ohio State and Iowa in back to back weeks is about the best you can hope for (assuming Nebraska is healthy of course.)

I guess I was just getting at the fact that for this team 2 week to prepare for Wisconsin is totally irrelevant to the final straight up result.  It would be like giving the frog an additional 0.01 second to prepare for the Buick.

• Haha 1

IMO, we learned that our roster still needs quite a bit of work to get us back to relevancy. We also learned that we still struggle with turnovers and blown assignments. We also learned that Frost is utilizing some old school NU play packages, which I kinda like. Most of all, I think we learned that we are only 1.5 years into a long rebuilding project, and there have been plenty of bumps in the road. Personally, I learned how badly I want to see our 2019 OL recruits get on the field next season....... :o

• Plus1 1

The Good:

For several plays when it actually mattered, Nebraska lined up in the I, ran old-school, Glory-Day plays and moved the ball very well against one of the best defenses in the in country. We had them on their heels to the point that they had to call timeout and adjust . For a kid that hasn't ran any bullets-flying reverse/trap/belly option, Martinez actually looked pretty smooth and found some room a couple times. His pitch to Wandale was nice and timely, too. The flexbone was neat to see, but not effective against the Buckeye's gigantic down-linemen. It might be an outlier, and won't matter in the grand scheme of things, but in the midst of a demoralizing beat-down, a couple minutes of throwback glory still makes my heart swell.

We could accuse them of trying to run up the score, but we really shouldn't complain about those kinds of things. It's our job to stop them. That being said, when they had their starters in at the end of the 3rd, and Domann DESTROYED Fields and we held them to a field goal. Stovall also trucked their returner on kick coverage. That, to me, is playing with pride no matter what the score is, and I don't think we ever saw that during the Pelini blowouts and never during the Riley years. At least we have some kids that don't throw in the towel.

The Bad: As has been mentioned, offensive line, defensive line, linebackers, secondary, soft Diaco defensive scheme, special teams.

The Ugly: Martinez at this point is playing like a slower Jamal Lord. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
15 hours ago, VizionNE said:

Anyone see Farniok explain that his weakness blocking is on the edge? He was going up against an all-American, but that is a starting tackle saying that is his weakness. 

Seems problematic. 

On facing Ohio State defensive end Chase Young

“It was a hard challenge, he’s a really good player. He’s a guy that his strengths are my kind of weaknesses. He attacked my edges. I’m a better power blocker and a speed rusher.

Well, he shouldn't be playing tackle, so this makes sense