What did we learn (Ohio State edition)

r06ue1

1 hour ago, Igetbored216 said:

Well, he shouldn't be playing tackle, so this makes sense

And, that makes me wonder if Frost shouldn't give Farniok some help when he is facing a dynamic pass rusher, knowing his weaknesses. I know he wouldn't want to go max protect all the time, but it might be effective to have a RB/TE/WR chip the edge on his way out in a pattern or something. I know all the OL problems aren't on Farniok, but damn it makes it tough when you got a guy weak in edge pro in a position that requires skill in that very same thing....

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

And, that makes me wonder if Frost shouldn't give Farniok some help when he is facing a dynamic pass rusher, knowing his weaknesses. I know he wouldn't want to go max protect all the time, but it might be effective to have a RB/TE/WR chip the edge on his way out in a pattern or something. I know all the OL problems aren't on Farniok, but damn it makes it tough when you got a guy weak in edge pro in a position that requires skill in that very same thing....

He definitely needs some help, because he has struggled. In my opinion, Farniok would make a decent guard, but unfortunately there is no one better than him at RT. 

I said this in another post, but Nebraska is probably around four or five years off from having enough depth on the lines to be consistently good. The position has been ignored by the last few coaches. 

28 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

He definitely needs some help, because he has struggled. In my opinion, Farniok would make a decent guard, but unfortunately there is no one better than him at RT. 

I said this in another post, but Nebraska is probably around four or five years off from having enough depth on the lines to be consistently good. The position has been ignored by the last few coaches. 

I agree. If all goes well, Benhart, Banks, etc will be ready next year for the OL, and there are a few redshirts on the DL that look promising, but it will take a couple more classes to solidify the needed depth, and for Duvall to work his magic...

After thinking about this game for a few days and hearing all the talk after the game, I have come to this conclusion. By the end of the season we will see that Ohio State probably isn't as great as everyone is saying and Nebraska isn't as bad as some people on this board think they are. 

• Plus1 3

I learned the time frame to build a program is much less  in Group of 5 (AAC) versus Power 5 (B1G).

The talent level is on the rise, but it takes time to close that gap versus established programs. 

The Gap was bigger than I had thought with the top 10 type programs.

47 minutes ago, Warrior said:

I learned the time frame to build a program is much less  in Group of 5 (AAC) versus Power 5 (B1G).

The talent level is on the rise, but it takes time to close that gap versus established programs. 

The Gap was bigger than I had thought with the top 10 type programs.

Honestly it isn't the talent gap that is the chasm, though it's still a ways off, but it's the discipline and effort gap that separates us.  Discipline and effort are also what separates us from Iowa and Wisconsin.  It's why this team still is among the worst in penalties and turnovers.  That is the part that takes years to overcome.

A bunch of us, myself included, bought whole hog into the hype that the talent around Lincoln could turn this thing around fast.  Until this team stops killing itself things won't be consistent and won't get much better.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

The difference is, Clemson has more playmakers around Trevor, so his struggles are less noticeable. I wonder why being in a system for the second year would make a QB worse. Overthinking things? Pressing? 

Not only that but there's a year worth of tape on the player and defenses have a lot more time to gameplan and diagnose the weaknesses.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Honestly it isn't the talent gap that is the chasm, though it's still a ways off, but it's the discipline and effort gap that separates us.  Discipline and effort are also what separates us from Iowa and Wisconsin.  It's why this team still is among the worst in penalties and turnovers.  That is the part that takes years to overcome.

A bunch of us, myself included, bought whole hog into the hype that the talent around Lincoln could turn this thing around fast.  Until this team stops killing itself things won't be consistent and won't get much better.

I agree with discipline and ball security being a MAJOR issue.

The talent gap can't be understated.  Although, I feel like this staff is working hard to close that gap.

Our Play makers are Freshmen, and Sophomores.

image.png.85deb6b6d72a745aa48883f95cc19278.png

image.png.647eebfb4314ae1da845610e855c7bae.png

17 minutes ago, Warrior said:

I agree with discipline and ball security being a MAJOR issue.

The talent gap can't be understated.  Although, I feel like this staff is working hard to close that gap.

Our Play makers are Freshmen, and Sophomores.

image.png.85deb6b6d72a745aa48883f95cc19278.png

image.png.647eebfb4314ae1da845610e855c7bae.png

OSU's freshmen usually are not asked to be the main guys on the team. If they are able to, that is great. 

Look at OSU's Garrett Wilson for example, in time he will be something special at OSU, but at most schools he would be asked to do a lot more. The Huskers need Wan'dale Robinson to perform at a high level for the success of the team. OSU just needs Wilson to progress like Chris Olave did last year and into this year. The Huskers need to build their depth and it will make it easier to develop guys.

1 hour ago, Igetbored216 said:

The difference is, Clemson has more playmakers around Trevor, so his struggles are less noticeable. I wonder why being in a system for the second year would make a QB worse. Overthinking things? Pressing? 

Teams also have a years worth of film. 

On 9/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, Jarhead In Red said:

Ya, don't complain that AM needs better protection when you aren't making moves to provide it. We damn well KNEW Farniok can't handle Chase 1-on-1 in pass-pro. Even if it means one less potential receiver you can't just let Chase run amok in our backfield.