Its on AM

BigPeterJ

AM's role is not to block, it's the OL... AM's role isn't to get open, it's the receivers... AM's role isn't to stop them from scoring, it's the defense...Look losing sucks and getting blown out is even worse, but to put that type of loss on AM is just crap.

Imagine how good AM would be if he had OSU's or UW on-line. If he sucked then, then we can blame him.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

Your missing the point im making.  Of course it isnt ENTIRELY  AMs fault, but it is primarily.

And yes, both Vedral, and Luke would be better than AM has been.  I cant imagine many who would be worse.

And what is it you know about Vedral and Luke that make you so sure they'd be better than AM has been.  I'll supply your answer.  You know nothing to support that suggestion.  You only feel frustrated and 'believe in your heart' that they would do better.  It is interesting that you have better insight than the coaches that work with those three day in and day out.

2 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

And what is it you know about Vedral and Luke that make you so sure they'd be better than AM has been.  I'll supply your answer.  You know nothing to support that suggestion.  You only feel frustrated and 'believe in your heart' that they would do better.  It is interesting that you have better insight than the coaches that work with those three day in and day out.

What i know is that AM has been playing terribly, especially last night, and that if Vedral or McCaffery are even decent (as everyone says they are) they would be better than Martinez has been.

What has Martinez done well?

Running: He misreads the read option as often as he reads it correctly, which anyone can do flipping a coin. 

He isnt all that quick. 

He fumbles fairly often.  

Passing: He stares down ONE receiver the whole time (making him miss anyone else who might get open, if he finally sees them its too late). Also allowing the defense to read where he is going and cover it better, or pick it off.  

On the offchance he does see someone that is open, he is not very accurate.

Even on simple 5-10 yard dump passes he often overthrows, or throws at their feet, or doesnt put the proper touch on the ball.  Moreso than any quarterback we have had...and we have had many sub-par passers.

His effect on the rest of the team: 

A quarterbacks demeaner is contagious to your offense.  His indecisiveness, and many missed throws and bad reads both on read options, and on passes, makes the rest of our offense indecisive, and lacking confidence that he will see them if they get open, or that they might get hung out to dry like Spielman did against Illinois all game. 

His bad reads make our entire offense look worse than we are, and it is killing their confidence.

Because of his turnovers, and general lack of first downs, our defense is gassed and cant play as intensely, and starts to lose faith when we are down, that our offense can help us comeback.  And also presses to do too much and takes risks that lead to big plays.

Please tell me what AM does well this year.  Anything? Anyone?

As far as our coaches going with him, this doesnt mean he is better than our other qb's.  Maybe he is better in practice.  Maybe the coaches keep playing him cause they keep thinking he will play better.  Maybe they play him cause he has the highest ceiling.  Whatever it is, if Vedral or McCaffery would be worse in games than Martinez has been this year, than our backups are very weak QBs.  

Look, AM seems like a great guy, and i root for him.  I really want him to be the guy.  But we are now almost halfway through our season and he has been fairly poor in every game, and downright awful half of the time.  I am sure our coaches believe he will get much better, but up to this point its hard to believe he is the best weve got, even if our backups are only decent.

Its not even arguable.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

Hard to say if any other QB is better having never seen them under pressure. We also don't see what Martinez sees... receivers covered like OJ's glove. That's where you have to start questioning the play calls. Martinez hasn't dealt with the speed of OSU much....safe to say other QB's might struggle with it as well. I say play the backup in a blowout, but apparently it's a thing for coaches to stick with one guy at QB.

3 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

What i know is that AM has been playing terribly, especially last night, and that if Vedral or McCaffery are even decent (as everyone says they are) they would be better than Martinez has been.

What has Martinez done well?

Running: He misreads the read option as often as he reads it correctly, which anyone can do flipping a coin. 

He isnt all that quick. 

He fumbles fairly often.  

Passing: He stares down ONE receiver the whole time (making him miss anyone else who might get open, if he finally sees them its too late). Also allowing the defense to read where he is going and cover it better, or pick it off.  

On the offchance he does see someone that is open, he is not very accurate.

Even on simple 5-10 yard dump passes he often overthrows, or throws at their feet, or doesnt put the proper touch on the ball.  Moreso than any quarterback we have had...and we have had many sub-par passers.

His effect on the rest of the team: 

A quarterbacks demeaner is contagious to your offense.  His indecisiveness, and many missed throws and bad reads both on read options, and on passes, makes the rest of our offense indecisive, and lacking confidence that he will see them if they get open, or that they might get hung out to dry like Spielman did against Illinois all game. 

His bad reads make our entire offense look worse than we are, and it is killing their confidence.

Because of his turnovers, and general lack of first downs, our defense is gassed and cant play as intensely, and starts to lose faith when we are down, that our offense can help us comeback.  And also presses to do too much and takes risks that lead to big plays.

Please tell me what AM does well this year.  Anything? Anyone?

As far as our coaches going with him, this doesnt mean he is better than our other qb's.  Maybe he is better in practice.  Maybe the coaches keep playing him cause they keep thinking he will play better.  Maybe they play him cause he has the highest ceiling.  Whatever it is, if Vedral or McCaffery would be worse in games than Martinez has been this year, than our backups are very weak QBs.  

Look, AM seems like a great guy, and i root for him.  I really want him to be the guy.  But we are now almost halfway through our season and he has been fairly poor in every game, and downright awful half of the time.  I am sure our coaches believe he will get much better, but up to this point its hard to believe he is the best weve got, even if our backups are only decent.

Its not even arguable.

I don't believe I argued that AM has played well.  Everyone said he was great, to be in the Heisman race even.  So, your comment about Vedral and Luke being good because "everyone says they are" is not in the least valid.  My core point is, you, nor I nor anyone on this board has seen those two in high pressure game situations enough to know they would perform better than AM.  You do not spend every day of practice evaluating the players like the coaches do.

I'm not even saying that one of them might not be better, but I am saying we've got nothing to base that on other than hope.

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Go listen to Frost's presser today. AM is not getting benched anytime soon and Frost also doesn't think he deserves the blame people are trying to put on him.

I am so glad Frost is our coach and not some of the posters on this board...

I don't blame AM at all, nobody could do anything with the in game situations he is dealing with.. That said,  he is Frosts golden boy so I think it is reasonable to watch this play out a bit. It won't look real good if other things start hitting on their cylinders and QB continues to be a weak link and changes there aren't considered. That said, there is a long way to go before other areas are considered functional enough to judge QB play imo. 

• Plus1 1

I posted this in a different thread but I also think it needs to be posted here. This is how I view the offense: 

The entire season we have been talking about the struggles at the O-line, but I think people aren't completely understanding how that affects the offense. For example, I don't think Martinez deserves most of the hate he gets. It is hard to make plays when you can't lean on your line. When you can't lean on them, you turn the great players on your offense into average players. I can see why it's hard to make good passes because he is constantly worried that he will be hit from behind or sacked. He's probably more focused on making sure he doesn't get sacked than actually passing the ball. Its because the trust between him and the O line isn't established yet because the O-line has shown so many issues. A prime example of this is with snapping the ball. There are times when Martinez jumps to catch the snap, even when the snap is in the perfect spot. Part of that is probably because he is anticipating a high snap because thats what we have seen all season. It causes the entire offense to be out of rhythm. Until the O-line can step up its going to be an issue trying to establish any type of offense. Especially if you aren't able to run between the tackles, this limits your play-calling and plays are much easier to be anticipated from the defense. Unfortunately in order to fix the O-line thats a process that may take 1-2 years as players mature in their positions. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Huskerchief said:

I posted this in a different thread but I also think it needs to be posted here. This is how I view the offense: 

The entire season we have been talking about the struggles at the O-line, but I think people aren't completely understanding how that affects the offense. For example, I don't think Martinez deserves most of the hate he gets. It is hard to make plays when you can't lean on your line. When you can't lean on them, you turn the great players on your offense into average players. I can see why it's hard to make good passes because he is constantly worried that he will be hit from behind or sacked. He's probably more focused on making sure he doesn't get sacked than actually passing the ball. Its because the trust between him and the O line isn't established yet because the O-line has shown so many issues. A prime example of this is with snapping the ball. There are times when Martinez jumps to catch the snap, even when the snap is in the perfect spot. Part of that is probably because he is anticipating a high snap because thats what we have seen all season. It causes the entire offense to be out of rhythm. Until the O-line can step up its going to be an issue trying to establish any type of offense. Especially if you aren't able to run between the tackles, this limits your play-calling and plays are much easier to be anticipated from the defense. Unfortunately in order to fix the O-line thats a process that may take 1-2 years as players mature in their positions. 

I can't figure out why the high snaps are STILL an issue.   Its been a problem since the spring game,  why is it taking so long to fix it ?  

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

And yes, both Vedral, and Luke would be better than AM has been.  I cant imagine many who would be worse.

There is literally no way you could know the first part. And Tanner Lee was our qb just 2 years ago, it's not that hard to imagine worse.

He's not playing as well as he can, but he's got no chance with the pressure. I think he ran well, so that problem seems to be behind him. He definitely needs to improve his touch on passes both short and long - if he can zip it it's fine, but on screens or passes dropped over guys he's struggling. But he was at most like a third of the problem Saturday. 

• Plus1 1

I recognize there are things making the job harder on martinez. But when he does have time, when receivers are open. He is still over throwing and under throwing and just flat out not seeing the field. Open guys that are not seen and he forces it to Spielman. Perhaps that is a product of him feeling rushed due to the pressure- but considering the hype and heisman talk a guy of that caliber should still be able to produce something respectable. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I was looking up Trevor Lawrence's stats vs AM's to see how they compared this year (honestly not far off besides Lawrence having a better completion percentage). However, there was one stat that jumped out to me. AM has been sacked 14 times (23 times last year) and Lawrence has been sacked 3 times (11 last year). Nebraska is on track to allow 34 sacks! Add on top of it the poor snaps and it's no wonder AM has happy feet and is rushing his reads.

• Plus1 3