when do we admit abandoning the run first offense was a mistake?

BoSolich

20 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

thoughts?

My observation is that your premise is inaccurate. 

Over Frost's full three years as a head coach that calls plays, he's at a consistent 55% rush / 45% pass. So by definition, it technically is an offense that "runs first."

I highly suggest watching us play these next four games. I think we're going to see 500+ offensive yard games where the running game gets in sync. Mills is improving a lot in my opinion over his first two games. Ohio State's defensive line is ridiculous and I expect to see their team in the national title game this year so it's kind of hard to be too hard on our run game. Also: Benhart and Banks (6'9 and 6'7). We'll get the big men going eventually here, but that takes time.

• Plus1 4

It's pretty simple we need to focus on recruiting to our lines and especially our O-line. Until we make that a priority we won't do much in the B1G. If you've got a 4 and 5 star O-line with road graders playing on it you can have a 3 star RB and he'll run pretty damn well with holes the size of a Cadillac. And we need depth so we can rotate when we are getting gassed. We don't have that, not even close! I don't think we realized how good Ziggy was until he wasn't here. Good lord did he cover up alot of issues on the O-line! 

2 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

It's pretty simple we need to focus on recruiting to our lines and especially our O-line. Until we make that a priority we won't do much in the B1G. If you've got a 4 and 5 star O-line with road graders playing on it you can have a 3 star RB and he'll run pretty damn well with holes the size of a Cadillac. And we need depth so we can rotate when we are getting gassed. We don't have that, not even close! I don't think we realized how good Ziggy was until he wasn't here. Good lord did he cover up alot of issues on the O-line! 

Most people didn't, not even people getting paid millions of dollars to coach either. We are thin at RB, and it shows this year.

Wisconsin just gets mammoth OL and gets really good OL coaches over the years. There's not much drop off with HC changes over there either when you consider who their AD is. Alvarez is smart guy. We however bulldozed our identity along with what was working for years after 2002-2003.

I don't think many people realize the challenges and the difficulty SF had to face in actually rebuilding this entire program. It's the culture, the facilities, the practicing, S&C, admin, etc. This is going to take time. Fans have to give him that. I don't know that they can in the era we live in today. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Exactly. I don't care who's in the backfield. Even Lawrence Phillips, Ahman Green or even Tommie Frazier couldn't run behind this offensive line. Part of me wants them to stop focusing on skill players and continue to build the offensive and defensive lines more than anything.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

It's pretty simple we need to focus on recruiting to our lines and especially our O-line. Until we make that a priority we won't do much in the B1G. If you've got a 4 and 5 star O-line with road graders playing on it you can have a 3 star RB and he'll run pretty damn well with holes the size of a Cadillac.

Bryce Benhart: 6'9, 305 lbs.

Brant Banks: 6'7, 300 lbs.

They're here. Just takes time.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1