WR Brody Brecht [Iowa Commit]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

20 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Brecht commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• 4 weeks later...

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In all the years I've followed recruiting, I can honestly say I've learned that two uncommitted recruits

talking about playing together rarely means they will actually play together.

Maybe so, and maybe my gut feeling is more that Fidone has blown up so much NU may have a hard time keeping him home rather rhan Iowa specifically.

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

Maybe so, and maybe my gut feeling is more that Fidone has blown up so much NU may have a hard time keeping him home rather rhan Iowa specifically.

I share that thought as well.  And yet, with what Iowa does with TE development, when you add Fidone's talent level, it's a no-brainer to go to Iowa.  I think it was last year they had two TE's go pro in the first round.

Obviously, we want him :bigredn: but if their is any weight to their statement, what a great tandem for Iowa.  Personally, I really like Brody and he is very high on my board.

7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I share that thought as well.  And yet, with what Iowa does with TE development, when you add Fidone's talent level, it's a no-brainer to go to Iowa.  I think it was last year they had two TE's go pro in the first round.

Obviously, we want him :bigredn:, but if their is any weight to their statement, what a great tandem for Iowa.  Personally, I really like Brody and he is very high on my board.

True, that was two years ago that two TEs went first round.  If I remember right, Fant ended up declaring early because he was somewhat upset with how they used him later in the year.  Last year, their TEs didn't do nearly as much, if I remember correctly.

7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Obviously, we want him :bigredn:, but if their is any weight to their statement, what a great tandem for Iowa.  Personally, I really like Brody and he is very high on my board.

Then you could make the argument of why would Brecht go to Iowa.  Been below average at that position for quite awhile and depending on personnel they may only have 1 or 2 WR on the field at a time.  

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Then you could make the argument of why would Brecht go to Iowa.  Been below average at that position for quite awhile and depending on personnel they may only have 1 or 2 WR on the field at a time.  

No argument needs to be made.  It's Brody that chose his two teams he wanted to consider moving forward ... we aren't a team he wants to play for.  I can't argue for his reasons.  All that is possible now is for his potential commitment to Iowa to bode well to also draw Fidone.

I don't like it at all ... but ...

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

And yet, with what Iowa does with TE development, when you add Fidone's talent level, it's a no-brainer to go to Iowa.

Just for comparisons.

Iowa 2019 Tight Ends

32 receptions

422 yards

0 TDs

Nebraska 2020 Tight Ends

33 receptions

326 yards

1 TD

And...to look back farther.

Iowa 2018 Tight Ends

3 receptions

5 yards

1 TD

Nebraska 2018 Tight Ends

28 Receptions

374 yards

3 TDs

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just for comparisons.

Iowa 2019 Tight Ends

32 receptions

422 yards

0 TDs

Nebraska 2020 Tight Ends

33 receptions

326 yards

1 TD

The stats for last season don't probably compute to the norm for Iowa, but do for us.

Curious to ask what those stats are for 2018 when Iowa had Fant and the other stud?

Additionally, it doesn't really matter what I think, it's Iowa that has built itself into "TE U".  It's just years of proving their development.  At :bigredn: we don't develop any position well presently to sell a recruit that we do "this position" well.

Just now, BigRedN said:

The stats for last season don't probably compute to the norm for Iowa, but do for us.

Curious to ask what those stats are for 2018 when Iowa had Fant and the other stud?

Additionally, it doesn't really matter what I think, it's Iowa that has built itself into "TE U".  It's just years of proving their development.  At :bigredn: we don't develop any position well presently.

I added to my post above to add 2018.

9 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

No argument needs to be made.  It's Brody that chose his two teams he wanted to consider moving forward ... we aren't a team he wants to play for.  I can't argue for his reasons.  All that is possible now is for his potential commitment to Iowa to bode well to also draw Fidone.

I don't like it at all ... but ...

It just show that there are many reasons to pick a school.  Relationships, proximity, scheme, family connection to school, coaches, facilities, etc. etc. etc.  Iowa has consistently produced good TE.  We have a wide open offense and a staff he seems to have solid relationships with.    I like our chances with Fidone.  I think we can do better than Brecht but liked him as a prospect too.  TE is a harder position to find than WR.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

Additionally, it doesn't really matter what I think, it's Iowa that has built itself into "TE U".  It's just years of proving their development.  At :bigredn: we don't develop any position well presently.

I think people are thinking about one magical year where they had two good TEs.

2016 Iowa TEs

32 Receptions

389 yards

5 TDs

2017 was the year Fant was a stud

56 receptions

840 yards

14 TDs

So, it seems like Iowa had one good year where they had two very talented TEs.  Other than that, they don't seem to have had amazing years from the position.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think people are thinking about one magical year where they had two good TEs.

2016 Iowa TEs

32 Receptions

389 yards

5 TDs

2017 was the year Fant was a stud

56 receptions

840 yards

14 TDs

So, it seems like Iowa had one good year where they had two very talented TEs.  Other than that, they don't seem to have had amazing years from the position.

I think it's more about getting them to the next level than college production. You have 2 2019 first-rounders, Kittle went early in the 5th in 2017 and has been a stud, Fiedorowicz went in the 3rd in 2014. They can sell the fact that they are churning out NFL TEs like nobody else, and I don't think most TEs are the type to need a ton of catches. The ones Iowa is after aren't afraid to do the dirty work blocking, I don't think they're looking for somewhere they'll be able to put up the best numbers.

Meanwhile, we haven't had a TE drafted since Tracey Wistrom. I had to look it up. Niles Paul was a WR for us, and Cethan Carter is hanging around in the league but was undrafted. We have a lot of things to offer, but a track record of developing TEs at Nebraska isn't one of them. This staff did help boost Jordan Akins stock at UCF though, and again there's more to it than "which schools have produced NFL TEs."

• Mavric changed the title to WR Brody Brecht [Iowa Commit]