Frost Installing Osborne's Playbook

The Dude

I don't see the I-formantion ever becoming our bread and butter.  We need to get the OL established to make it successful.  Right now our OL is suffering.  But also the overall team speed needs to improve.  It seems to me that OSU's speed beat us to the corner on at least one of the option plays.  It will all take time - but I like the idea of mixing some of the old with the new.  No one prepares for the option anymore and it would throw the wrinkle of uncertainty at the D.  BUTTTTT -  our players can't be uncertain either.  We still need to know who we are - recruit and train towards that identity and execute accordingly.  We can't do the square peg into a round hole thing. 

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Perfect! More identity confusing for a program that has been schizophrenic for years now! 

This is my issue but if it fits what they are doing concept wise I think it will be ok. As long as you can relate it to a concept that we already run it is fine and if anything triple option out of the I is a simplified version of RPO(obviously) 

Also to those asking if we have a FB on the roster, what do you think Mills did at GT??

• Plus1 6
2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Why is the option so tabu? I know it isn't sexy, I know it's not new, but can it work?   It's one way to at least buy some time and eat a clock. 

I tend to think it's something roughly like this: You can spend all of that practice time training your QB to run the option, or you can spend that time working on his throwing mechanics & accuracy.

I'm a Lincoln native that remembers '93-'97 like it was yesterday - meaning I have as much fondness for the option & I-formation smashmouth running as much as anybody - but I'm completely serious: I'd rather throw the ball. The question currently is whether we have the right personnel to do it effectively this season. 

• Fire 1

First things first, power running game with `The Option` is sexy as hell.

That said, in the B1G, this is a good dimension to put into the mix.

Remember during the game when they kept saying it is so hard for defenses to cover everything OSU can do offensively?  My guess is that is what Frost is shooting for here.   We drop into an old-school I formation and defenses don't know what is coming.  Power, spread, option, zone read, max-protect... 

I'm good with it as an addition to the game.  If he can get the players to execute correctly it may be a good way to pick up 3rd and 2, or 4th and 1.