Frost Installing Osborne's Playbook

The Dude

4 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Why is the option so tabu? I know it isn't sexy, I know it's not new, but can it work?   It's one way to at least buy some time and eat a clock. 

It might be the best thing about Saturday's drubbing- the rebirth of the option. 

it never went away, it just modernized. Oregon ran option out of spread sets, thats what we are supposed to be doing these days but we suck at it. Military academy style option, and then pistol, nevada style option. We kinda ran it with Bo but Beck didn't really understand it so we sucked at it when playing against good teams. 

So yea the option was never taboo, it just took on a new look. However peterson/perleman did a good job of getting people to beleive it was outdated, which was funny cuz that was at the same time as nevada and oregon were beginning to really take off.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

Until/if Martinez returns to being elite again we have to do this.  I honestly feel like him running the ball more would be beneficial. I feel like it would get him into the feel of the game and reacting more and thinking less.  

I think we should probably be doing it anyway. That huge of a curve ball makes weekly prep that much harder. It's so much different than our usual system and if we can be successful it'll warrant more prep time from opponents. This also means less prep time for opponents on what Frost wants to do typically and may generate more big plays in our regular scheme.

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I think we should probably be doing it anyway. That huge of a curve ball makes weekly prep that much harder. It's so much different than our usual system and if we can be successful it'll warrant more prep time from opponents. This also means less prep time for opponents on what Frost wants to do typically and may generate more big plays in our regular scheme.

I agree.   But I also think that it’s important for frost to look at our quarterback situation for what it is. The way he wants to run his offense it’s not going to be effective unless he has a very good to elite quarterback. What we have right now unfortunately is a kid that I feel like can be that quarterback, but for whatever reason he’s not there right now.  This offense will never take off with AM as is.   The TO offense is better for us right now for our QB And for our D.  Right now I don’t know if we have a choice.   I think that O can nurse AM and this D to 6-8 wins.   I think if AM snaps out of his funk the current offense can get those wins too but if he doesn’t wake up he could find the bench and we could miss another bowl.

long term the current offense with a mix of the old is clearly the best answer.

This was the best looking drive of the night, and, if you could pull one thing from the game, it would be how confused and out of position Ohio State, yes the same Ohio State that pounded Nebraska 48-7, was on those plays. 

So now imagine this. Nebraska starts the game and has success with the spread. The defense adjusts, and then Nebraska adjust the I form and what we saw on that drive. 

Seriously, I think that would be a nightmare to prep for.

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

I agree.   But I also think that it’s important for frost to look at our quarterback situation for what it is. The way he wants to run his offense it’s not going to be effective unless he has a very good to elite quarterback. What we have right now unfortunately is a kid that I feel like can be that quarterback, but for whatever reason he’s not there right now.  This offense will never take off with AM as is.   The TO offense is better for us right now for our QB And for our D.  Right now I don’t know if we have a choice.   I think that O can nurse AM and this D to 6-8 wins.   I think if AM snaps out of his funk the current offense can get those wins too but if he doesn’t wake up he could find the bench and we could miss another bowl.

long term the current offense with a mix of the old is clearly the best answer.

Or we could just see what Vendral or McCaffery can do if your QB1 isn't up to the task to execute the offense he was recruited her to run.  Overhauling the entire offense mid season seems like the nuclear option.

I will say this is the point where you could also see what Day thought about our team. He said the right things in the pressers to not create board material, but Day clearly knew NU was not in the same league as OSU. 

Day’s face was one of annoyance when he called the timeout before the AMart pick off of Wandale’s hands. His team wasn’t ready for it and a quick annoying timeout fixed it. The next time we tried it it was stuffed for a loss 

I am excited to see it coming back, but we really need the OLine in a different spot for success. Back in the day it was imposing our will with some misdirection. With what we have now it will just be a change up and another thing the opposition will have to prepare for. The time to really get excited is when we have the personnel breadth to execute. 

The thing I like the most out of what we showed with the I formation, is that we can audible into it. 

We can line up in a 4-wide shotgun set and see what the defense is doing. With Spielman, Noa, Robinson, and either Stoll or Allen split wide, with Mills in the backfield, defenses would have to put in personnel more suited to defending a spread attack. If they're out in a Nickel or Dime formation, we could easily audible that into an I formation (or that flexbone look) and have a favorable personnel matchup. Run that with tempo and prevent them from substituting a better defensive personnel group in, and we could drive all the way down the field. 

Once they sub in a heavier, slower group, audible back out into spread and make them pay for it, again running with tempo to prevent them from substituting. 

We wouldn't have to change too much, personnel wise, to play two completely opposing styles of offense and catch them in a bad matchup. 

The downfall of this is what we saw with Ohio State. They had guys that were big and strong enough to stuff the power game, while also being fast and athletic enough to disrupt the spread. They could do both with the same group of guys, and while they were initially caught by surprise, they adjusted during the time out and stopped it cold. 

It's a good wrinkle, but we dont have the athletic advantage to pull it off against elite opponents yet. 

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, EmeraldIngot said:

The thing I like the most out of what we showed with the I formation, is that we can audible into it. 

We can line up in a 4-wide shotgun set and see what the defense is doing. With Spielman, Noa, Robinson, and either Stoll or Allen split wide, with Mills in the backfield, defenses would have to put in personnel more suited to defending a spread attack. If they're out in a Nickel or Dime formation, we could easily audible that into an I formation (or that flexbone look) and have a favorable personnel matchup. Run that with tempo and prevent them from substituting a better defensive personnel group in, and we could drive all the way down the field. 

Once they sub in a heavier, slower group, audible back out into spread and make them pay for it, again running with tempo to prevent them from substituting. 

We wouldn't have to change too much, personnel wise, to play two completely opposing styles of offense and catch them in a bad matchup. 

The downfall of this is what we saw with Ohio State. They had guys that were big and strong enough to stuff the power game, while also being fast and athletic enough to disrupt the spread. They could do both with the same group of guys, and while they were initially caught by surprise, they adjusted during the time out and stopped it cold. 

It's a good wrinkle, but we dont have the athletic advantage to pull it off against elite opponents yet. 

i wouldnt say that stopped it cold.  they may have had we let them.  but we felt the need to throw another int and then just got further and further behind.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, dspanther05 said:

Or we could just see what Vendral or McCaffery can do if your QB1 isn't up to the task to execute the offense he was recruited her to run.  Overhauling the entire offense mid season seems like the nuclear option.

Pulling the plug on a kid that was getting preseason Heisman talk seems more extreme.  Just to make sure I’m clear I’m not saying that we go back to the old Nebraska offense I’m saying that we run that more and flat out run the ball more and give Adrian more passing Friendly situations until he gets his head straight

• Plus1 1