Frost Installing Osborne's Playbook

The Dude

13 hours ago, krc1995 said:

What are we? I really need a name of what our offense is. 

We're somewhere between a run first Spread Option Offense and a run first Multiple Option Offense (not sure if that's even a thing). We run most of our plays out of spread formations, but as we've seen we can go under center and run double wing and I formation.

I love where we're at concept wise. We just need the guys upfront to be able to execute it better, and maybe a possession type receiver to bail us out when we get behind the chains.

As much as everyone hates being"multiple", in our case I don't think it hurts us. The concepts are probably pretty similar, the formations just give the defense a different look and more to think about.

• Plus1 2

The title is a little misleading. I don't think Frost is anywhere near installing Osborne's playbook, he's just willing to introduce a series of I-back formations and the occasional pitch play to an already large playbook. And I think he dabbled in this last year too, right? Maybe even at UCF. 

The true power option from the glory days was all about split second QB decision making. That's why it was an option. When a Frost, Frazier or Gill is rolling down the line, he has to decide if he sees his own opening, if he needs to keep stretching the play, if he can get an LB to bite, and exactly the last second when he can turn and pitch to his trailing back --- who has to be exactly where he needs to be and on the same page. And more often than not, doing this on the short side of the field.

Also, it's a different discipline for the offensive linemen, who need to be as quick as they are strong with so many pulling plays. 

It requires more precision and finesse than some people remember. The option is also a turnover machine if your quarterback is indecisive and your running backs aren't practiced at it. 

But the Power I?  With the quarterback under center, where it's almost impossible to snap it over his head?  Yeah. More of that. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The title is a little misleading. I don't think Frost is anywhere near installing Osborne's playbook, he's just willing to introduce a series of I-back formations and the occasional pitch play to an already large playbook. And I think he dabbled in this last year too, right? Maybe even at UCF. 

The true power option from the glory days was all about split second QB decision making. That's why it was an option. When a Frost, Frazier or Gill is rolling down the line, he has to decide if he sees his own opening, if he needs to keep stretching the play, if he can get an LB to bite, and exactly the last second when he can turn and pitch to his trailing back --- who has to be exactly where he needs to be and on the same page. And more often than not, doing this on the short side of the field.

Also, it's a different discipline for the offensive linemen, who need to be as quick as they are strong with so many pulling plays. 

It requires more precision and finesse than some people remember. The option is also a turnover machine if your quarterback is indecisive and your running backs aren't practiced at it. 

But the Power I?  With the quarterback under center, where it's almost impossible to snap it over his head?  Yeah. More of that. 

Yep. I'm so sick of seeing the high snaps, and I don't understand how it's still happening. Martinez is even jumping when there isn't a high snap. That's how bad it is right now. 

Plus, Ohio St had no answer for it, and there appears to be numerous plays that can be run out of it. They should have kept using this formation. Would Ohio St have made adjustments to stop it? I don't doubt it, but maybe keep running it until they do.

6 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

Yep. I'm so sick of seeing the high snaps, and I don't understand how it's still happening. Martinez is even jumping when there isn't a high snap. That's how bad it is right now. 

Plus, Ohio St had no answer for it, and there appears to be numerous plays that can be run out of it. They should have kept using this formation. Would Ohio St have made adjustments to stop it? I don't doubt it, but maybe keep running it until they do.

That’s exactly what they did. Day finally decided play time was over, called timeout and the drive ended the next play because they put pressure on Martinez

9 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

That’s exactly what they did. Day finally decided play time was over, called timeout and the drive ended the next play because they put pressure on Martinez

Well, the drive ended because Martinez missed an open Robinson, and an Ohio St player, lying on the ground, caught the interception. Not to mention, this wasn't in the I-formation that had been working the whole way down the field. 

• Plus1 1

I think with our young and fairly inexperienced line running more I-formation makes sense. Out of the I you usually use more down blocking and pulling of guards and tackles, which I think is easier for a lineman, then having to try to zone and reach the more athletic d-linemen of today. I think thats one of the reasons that Wisconsin runs the ball so well, they have big strong kids that can be aggressive, get on a block, drive their feet and open holes for the backs. It also allows for the backs to know where the hole is going to be, hit it hard and fast, and be able get yards after contact. 

Also I think with our backfield right now, and lack of receiver depth it is a great wrinkle in our offense. It will slow the game down some for A-Mart who is in need of it. Help him gain some confidence and give our defense a break. 

Knowing Frost's coaching background. I only can see this becoming a gimmicky thing to catch defense in wrong personnel groups until they make adjustments. I'm not against it. I'd be more in favor of I-Formation, Double Wing, Singleback, Pistol, formations. Being multiple would be a nice thing. 

49 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

It's just frustrating though because if Martinez hits Wan'Dale on that pass, he probably jogs into the end zone. Frost had everything dialed up...we just didn't hit our receiver on the numbers.

On a different train of thought - Mills should get more credit for the running on that drive. To McKewon's comment, he dragged Young five yards. Mills has been doing much better and I think he'll be key for us in these next four games.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

In fairness, the moment Ohio State took a time out to adjust to the new formation, Nebraska needed to make its own adjustment. That's the chess game. Nebraska's play call was an outstanding response, and just inches from being a touchdown. The interception was freakish. 

I just didn't understand why they never went back to the I formation after that. Even assuming Ohio State had figured out a response, it's exactly the kind of mix that opens up your other schemes. Play-action passing works great, but only if they believe you have any intention of handing off the ball. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

While it was neat to see some direct hand off and option plays against OSU seemingly work imo who knows if it is something that we can begin using on a regular basis successfully.  This year at least.

This was close to becoming one of those chunk plays that the coaches are so fond of.

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In fairness, the moment Ohio State took a time out to adjust to the new formation, Nebraska needed to make its own adjustment. That's the chess game. Nebraska's play call was an outstanding response, and just inches from being a touchdown. The interception was freakish. 

I just didn't understand why they never went back to the I formation after that. Even assuming Ohio State had figured out a response, it's exactly the kind of mix that opens up your other schemes. Play-action passing works great, but only if they believe you have any intention of handing off the ball. 

Being the non-million dollar coach that I am, I would've stayed in the I, and either ran a counter, bootleg, or option pass. OSU can call a timeout, but they can't predict the next play. One advantage of the I is that it's so balanced, that defenses can't get ahead with read-steps like they can in zone blocking.

That being said, Frost probably had the right play called next. Too bad we couldn't make it work.

32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Anything we say is a guess.  Maybe those are all the plays they have in that scheme.  Maybe its was just a mix in to set up something else. Maybe it was scripted in the whole time.  Maybe they knew the game was over.

I did know the minute I saw those plays that there would be much discussion.  

34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree, but I think Frost answered it to some degree in his press conference. We ran it because we knew it would work well against the look they were giving us, and I'd guess OSU changed that after the timeout. I don't think we're good enough at the I and double wing stuff to run it against any defensive looks, we have to pick favorable spots.