Frost Installing Osborne's Playbook

The Dude

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

We're somewhere between a run first Spread Option Offense and a run first Multiple Option Offense (not sure if that's even a thing). We run most of our plays out of spread formations, but as we've seen we can go under center and run double wing and I formation.

I love where we're at concept wise. We just need the guys upfront to be able to execute it better, and maybe a possession type receiver to bail us out when we get behind the chains.

As much as everyone hates being"multiple", in our case I don't think it hurts us. The concepts are probably pretty similar, the formations just give the defense a different look and more to think about.

I guess multiple could be synonymous with confusing 

Someone mentioned Flexbone Option. Is that a thing or was I the butt of a joke? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I guess multiple could be synonymous with confusing 

Someone mentioned Flexbone Option. Is that a thing or was I the butt of a joke? 

Flexbone is the offense a lot of the academies run. Paul Johnson also ran it at Georgia Tech. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but it's a really fun offense to watch if it is done correctly. 

TACKLE+OVER+RIGHT+TACKLE+OVER+LEFT+ENDS+OVER+RIGHT+ENDS+OVER+LEFT.jpg

• Plus1 2

"Also, it's a different discipline for the offensive linemen, who need to be as quick as they are strong with so many pulling plays."

Yes.  And also we noticed over the T.O. years that when the option failed it was often due to the opposing DC finally sending down a read that would plug up the play at either of the probable lanes created by that good O-line.  Then it was time for something else, perhaps a screen or draw play or even a nice long pass.. all of which the O-line in those days were very capable of facilitating.  

And that's my big gripe about this team:  Not very much at all in a range of those varying talents, let alone speed and toughness.  Martinez can't operate with confidence from play to play, at least not for a whole quarter, let alone for the whole game.  I've heard him criticized for many things, but quarterbacks that are nearly always expecting to get hit are not going to play to whatever abilities they have.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

"Also, it's a different discipline for the offensive linemen, who need to be as quick as they are strong with so many pulling plays."

Yes.  And also we noticed over the T.O. years that when the option failed it was often due to the opposing DC finally sending down a read that would plug up the play at either of the probable lanes created by that good O-line.  Then it was time for something else, perhaps a screen or draw play or even a nice long pass.. all of which the O-line in those days were very capable of facilitating.  

And that's my big gripe about this team:  Not very much at all in a range of those varying talents, let alone speed and toughness.  Martinez can't operate with confidence from play to play, at least not for a whole quarter, let alone for the whole game.  I've heard him criticized for many things, but quarterbacks that are nearly always expecting to get hit are not going to play to whatever abilities they have.

Zac Taylor says "figirit out!"

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

This is one reason I still love to watch the games from the Glory Years - the beauty of Osborne's play-call set ups. '94 Miami is a clinic in being patient and setting up play-calls for the 4th quarter. We'd run ISO, dives, and reverse option and belly - straight ahead stuff. Either Graham or Stai or both would drive block against Sapp, and if we're being honest, he really was about as good an athlete as LP. Not quite as strong as Suh, but probably faster. Incredible ability. 

But Osborne knew we'd have trouble with him, and we completely set him up for the scores that tied the game and took the lead. After a whole game of knocking heads, doubles and drive blocks, we suddenly let him go and he has no idea what's going on. On the second TD, Cory ran right by him, not to mention 2 linebackers were absolutely convinced that LP had the ball. 

Granted, these things were only possible because of the awesome blocking we had up front, but Osborne and Milt were masters at breaking things down and keeping it all simple.

• Plus1 1

I'm not going to advocate returning the TO's power option game (although it is still my favorite system to watch). But from what I understand you can want shorter, squatier, road grader type offensive linemen which seem to be in much great abundance in the 500 mile radius than the prototypical long linemen we are trying to recruit. And one thing that seems to be pretty constant over the past couple of decades is our OL play has been average during the best years at best. For most of this decade it seems to be way below average. We just haven't been able to recruit the type of OL we need to be consistently successful.

Just sayin'.

I dont know if there is any formation thats going to make anyone on the oline to the right of Jaimes look capable. But if they are in as good of shape conditioning wise as we've heard they need to be running more high tempo. You could even go from that i formation to spreading them out in the shotgun without subbing anyone by moving Washington or Robinson into the slot.

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I dont know if there is any formation thats going to make anyone on the oline to the right of Jaimes look capable. But if they are in as good of shape conditioning wise as we've heard they need to be running more high tempo. You could even go from that i formation to spreading them out in the shotgun without subbing anyone by moving Washington or Robinson into the slot.

This would be a great move. We still haven't really seen the triple option out of a spread formation which was something Frost ran at UCF quite successfully. They caught defenses off guard and usually became explosive runs. I'd love to see it at DONU however, I think our OL really holds us back.

6 minutes ago, FTW said:

This would be a great move. We still haven't really seen the triple option out of a spread formation which was something Frost ran at UCF quite successfully. They caught defenses off guard and usually became explosive runs. I'd love to see it at DONU however, I think our OL really holds us back.

I would love to see some speed option as well but your right because of how bad this offensive line is it takes out most of the playbook. 

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It might be a patch for the problem that shotgun spreads have trouble in short yardage situations. 

ding ding ding ^^^^^^ this guy gets it!! I think we will also run it to close out games and can also help with clock management. Keep our defense off the field and wear those down. It's meant to complement frost offense to counter the weakness his system brings. Frost always said he thought if you could combine the Chip Kelly offense with the husker power game they would be unstoppable. Introducing the power I would do just that.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Lol jesus, Walters admitted the staff gave up on the game at 21-0 and are holding plays back for Northwestern. 

I don't know if I blame them, to be honest. We could run those formations and plays till the cows come home, but we weren't getting back in that game. Not the way their offense moved the ball at will on us.