Winning the West - 9/30 Edition

knapplc

It could (could) happen but we have to get our sh#t together just to get by your tier 3 & 4 teams, not counting Wiscy and Iowa which I just don't see happening. Outside chance with Iowa but no chance against Wiscy. With 3 conference losses we lose out on a tie breaker. But that's okay, I don't want to face OSU again this season. Quite likely it would be even worse.

• Plus1 1

It may seem crazy right now, but an 8-4 record with a winnable bowl game seems like a great year. 

Winning the West would be fantastic. 

This team is hard to judge. Too many are allowing Ohio State’s dominance impact their opinion. They would do the EXACT same thing to Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, and Purdue. I think I’d be more surprised if we didn’t get to 8 wins than if we did. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

It may seem crazy right now, but an 8-4 record with a winnable bowl game seems like a great year. 

This team is hard to judge. Too many are allowing Ohio State’s dominance impact their opinion. They would do the EXACT same thing to Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, and Purdue. I think I’d be more surprised if we didn’t get to 8 wins than if we did. 

8 wins and hallelujah!! I agree with you on what Ohio state would do to those teams, but each week is a toss up game for Nebraska. The only solid game this team has played this year was Northern Illinois. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

No, struggling with Southern Alabama, Illinois and losing to Colorado along wth getting our doors blown off by tOSU have solidified my opinion that we are not a good team.  No way we sniff 8 wins.  

• Plus1 2

As much as I would love a second chance at OSU, I just don't think we have the talent or the depth to hang with them.  I don't think we get blown out again but it also isn't that close.  

I'm still hoping for 7 wins and a bowl game, to me, that is a successful season, anything over that is a bonus.  Next season we'll be even better and year four, watch out.

I am sorry but I am not buying this new hype. We are not going to win the west. It is sad but true. The issues with this team are far too serious for us to be able to overcome them. We can’t even snap the ball after five games into the season. Adrian Martinez is not comfortable passing or running the ball. It is as if he is afraid the minute he gets the ball in his hands. He was throwing the ball at receivers legs. We continue to commit way too many undisciplined penalties and we turn the ball over. Our OL is horrid. You can’t fix all these issues mid season. To be honest, I would be happy if we win 7 games and go to a bowl and would be ecstatic if we win 8 games this season. I love my Huskers and I do think that Scott Frost will turn the corner within the next few years but I learned to be realistic, and thinking that we are a tier 2 team in the BiG is not helping. We are a tier 3 team at this point. We are no better than Purdue or Minnesota at this point. Northwestern will be angry and ready to play this week after their loss. Thinking we are going to blow them out of the stadium is just a pipe dream.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

I'll take this, Nebraska 2nd in the West and Wisconsin wins the West. That means we beat Iowa, and we don't have to get drubbed by Ohio State in the Big Ten title game. In fact, getting second in the West could very well mean Nebraska finishes the season 9-3..Losses to CU, OSU and Wisconsin. After this past weekend a 9 win season sounds ridiculous and a long shot, but it can actually be done. Just depends on how this team responds moving forward.

A bit limiting for me ... if we would actually go out and turn the season around and only have these three loses ... what would it say about the team and/or the fan base if we didn't want to play OSU again.  I would expect that a whole new team and mentality would be on that football field.  For me, I would expect us to show up and play for four quarters in that game.  I would be hopeful for a win ... not a drubbing.  Ya, one would have to imagine what that team would be like if we got to that point ... but if we did ... I would want to play OSU ... not avoid it.  OSU would have everything to lose ... not us.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

A bit limiting for me ... if we would actually go out and turn the season around and only have these three loses ... what would it say about the team and/or the fan base if we didn't want to play OSU again.  I would expect that a whole new team and mentality would be on that football field.  For me, I would expect us to show up and play for four quarters in that game.  I would be hopeful for a win ... not a drubbing.  Ya, one would have to imagine what that team would be like if we got to that point ... but if we did ... I would want to play OSU ... not avoid it.  OSU would have everything to lose ... not us.

If NU plays OSU a 100 times this season, they maybe win 1. We aren't in the same universe of competing with them on their worst day. Their second string would win at a rate of > than 50%.against our 1s.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, dspanther05 said:

If NU plays OSU a 100 times this season, they maybe win 1. We aren't in the same universe of competing with them on their worst day. Their second string would win at a rate of > than 50%.against our 1s.

You are basing this off what you saw from both :bigredn: and OSU both in the season and this game.

Things would be totally different if the scenario played out as Knapp laid out.  I for one, who thought we would go 7-5 this season, would give us a far better chance in the B1G title game that 1/100 chance.  We would be a totally different team if we get go that game.

Remember the year the Giants beat the Patriots for the Super Bowl?  They turned a 9-7 season into a Super Bowl Championship.  Why?  Because they grew throughout the season and became the best team.

None of us know what this team could become at this point.  We shall see.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Have we become so desperate as Huskers fans to say that “winning the west would be fantastic?” It would be a step in the right direction from the depths of despair this program has fallen into the past ten years. But let’s be honest, the B1G West division is not being talked about on a national level. No one could give a crap less who wins the B1G West. We had our chance to prove ourselves to everyone. We didn’t expect a win, but showcasing the improvements we have made and proving we are in the right direction is all we could have asked to showcase. Unfortunately, we just embarrassed the crap out of ourselves on that national level. Absolute embarrassment to this program. It will be at least five more years until we get that opportunity again and have the ability to change a few minds on the national level about the direction of our program. Until then, no one cares if we win the West. That should be a given. 

18 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

You are basing this off what you saw from both :bigredn: and OSU both in the season and this game.

Things would be totally different if the scenario played out as Knapp laid out.  I for one, who thought we would go 7-5 this season, would give us a far better chance in the B1G title game that 1/100 chance.  We would be a totally different team if we get go that came.

Remember the year the Giants beat the Patriots for the Super Bowl?  They turned a 9-7 season into a Super Bowl Championship.  Why?  Because they grew throughout the season and became the best team.

None of us know what this team could become at this point.  We shall see.

Fair points. And I hope this team does figure it out and turns it around. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen unless Martinez plays with confidence and doesn't look scared and timid out there. This team will only be as good as Martinez and the offense. And right now he / they are playing below average so that is what the team is. The defense isn't going to carry this team.