Winning the West - 9/30 Edition

knapplc

Yes let's win out so we can get curb stomped again on national TV in a rematch against OSU.

Let's take care of Northwestern first. All Nebraska can do is focus on themselves. None of this matters if we lose to a lower tier team which might happen. Everything could come down to a tie breaker with Wisconsin and then with Iowa.

• Plus1 1

Just now, FTW said:

Yes let's win out so we can get curb stomped again on national TV in a rematch against OSU.

Let's take care of Northwestern first. All Nebraska can do is focus on themselves. None of this matters if we lose to a lower tier team which might happen. Everything could come down to a tie breaker with Wisconsin and then with Iowa.

If that were to happen who gives a s#!t? Winning the West would be a major accomplishment for Frost in year 2 especially the way Wisconsin is playing right now. 

• Fire 2
35 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/dbbgs2/win_total_probability_distributions_per_sp/?__twitter_impression=true

8uAlxGM_d.jpg

Nebraska is only the favored team in 2 remaining games in the SP+

This is not surprising. We have so many errors.

That whole "win the west" scenario is entirely dependent on a lot of things that are in our control but we seem unable to accomplish, or things that are out of our control.

We have to:

Drastically reduce penalties (we are 74th in the country with 6.4 per game)

Drastically reduce turnovers (we are 107th in the country at -4)

Drastically improve O Line play

Become much more consistent on snaps

Reduce big plays on defense

Beat every team we're remotely close to in terms of talent

Beat at least one team (and possibly two) that we haven't beaten in three or more years

Have at least one team better than us lose a game they could possibly win

I mean... it could happen. It's possible.  But it would take a big turnaround for this team.

The roadmap Knapp has laid back is full of landmines but doable if we can avoid the mines - esp those called turnovers.  If we can get some consistency from the OL, then AM may have more poise in the pocket and have more completions and fewer interceptions.

OSU game hopefully gave Mills some confidence - he didn't fumble and had some good runs.  We will have to improve much to beat Wisc and Iowa and NW can be a tricky game as well as we all know from recent history. 

Sobering about that SP+ is that I believe it takes a couple more weeks before all the preseason numbers are wiped away. So we are a little bit worse than whatever we are listed at.

I appreciate the thread and I think there’s a formula to at least make this thing competitive this year. At the very least, I think we have to go 3-1 in this stretch (losing to Minnesota on the road) to ensure bowl eligibility. Don’t love our chances winning at Maryland in between Wisconsin and Iowa. I know Maryland has their issues but let’s get bowl eligible before that please.

1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

Sobering about that SP+ is that I believe it takes a couple more weeks before all the preseason numbers are wiped away. So we are a little bit worse than whatever we are listed at.

I appreciate the thread and I think there’s a formula to at least make this thing competitive this year. At the very least, I think we have to go 3-1 in this stretch (losing to Minnesota on the road) to ensure bowl eligibility. Don’t love our chances winning at Maryland in between Wisconsin and Iowa. I know Maryland has their issues but let’s get bowl eligible before that please.

If we go and have a big win against NW thought the SP+ stuff totally shifts since that's an ever moving prediction based on the teams more recent performances.

Also, we can beat Maryland of the last two weeks. Maryland of the first two weeks is a bit more of a toss up especially between Iowa and Wisconsin. It'll be interesting to see what Maryland does as the season moves on because they looked really good and then really bad.

I think winning the west is still possible but definitely a long shot for this team. Also, I hate to be pessimistic, but do we want to win the west and have to play Ohio State again after what happened this Saturday? I just don't think we are ready for that and I just feel like being embarrassed once this year is enough..

13 minutes ago, Huskerchief said:

I think winning the west is still possible but definitely a long shot for this team. Also, I hate to be pessimistic, but do we want to win the west and have to play Ohio State again after what happened this Saturday? I just don't think we are ready for that and I just feel like being embarrassed once this year is enough..

Again, why say this or even think it? It doesn't matter one iota if we get blown out by OSU in the B1G championship game because just getting there is a big step forward. If it means winning the West I'll take it and save competing with them for down the road.

• Plus1 5
15 minutes ago, Huskerchief said:

We won 4 games last year....I could care less if they beat us 100-0 

• Plus1 1