Husker Football in a World Of Paying Athletes

15 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

If they go this route, you should have to pay taxes on your entire scholarship and the revenue stream.  Winder what Cali is thinking on this, especially with the tax rates in Cali.

I think California wants the tax revenue. I do like how the politicians make it sound like they are doing it for the kids. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, zeWilbur said:

Not that great? The average degree fron any school will add about $1m in salary over a lifetime compared to just high school. An engineering degree can add another 2-3 million on top of that. All without the cost of acquiring the degree. UNL doesn't have to be that great. Just average is life changing. 

According this link: https://www.payscale.com/college-roi

The ROI for a UNL grad is around 390k over 20 years on average. There are other websites that could give a much different figure, some higher and some lower.

The B1G brought in $759 million for member schools in 2018, or $54.2 million per school. 

In TV revenue alone, that values each scholarship player (54.2M divided by 85) at $637k per year. 

And to the point, the California bill doesn't require schools to pay their players anyway. I would argue that they should, but that's different than what is happening in California.

4 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

This would would else but I still like the idea of the NCAA laughing at CA and seeing them scramble to figure out who they are going to play as they will all be ineligible in NCAA play. Maybe just have the NCAA come out with a watered down version that still excludes all CA schools 

I hope the NCAA, backed by the rest of the schools, doesn't budge and Cali schools are kicked out temporarily.  Unfortunately the NCAA is a spineless and ineffective organization.  When the NCAA does buckle and the players effectively become paid, the B1G needs to drop the guaranteed 4 yr scholarship.  Schools should be allowed to fire players if they aren't satisfied they are getting what they paid for.

Let it happen. We'll have the facilities, and I guarantee all of us, including me, is thinking about how much of our own money we're willing to pony up for a dominant program again.

Don't tell my wife, but I'd reach pretty darn deep if it would help get some kids that don't get down 38-0 when GameDay is in town. A paltry sum, to be sure, but when there are hundreds of thousands of us all shelling out the green, we would fill Memorial Stadium with hundred dollar bills. Good old county scholarships, right?

Good God, Frost could literally tell a high school senior that he'd be a millionaire the minute he signed the dotted line. That's a good way to get some extra five-stars on the roster. Or even just one, in our case.

5 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

According this link: https://www.payscale.com/college-roi

The ROI for a UNL grad is around 390k over 20 years on average. There are other websites that could give a much different figure, some higher and some lower.

Now take that higher salary over the following 20 years and you are in the ballpark of what I listed. My numbers came from a few studies in 2016/17. 

The B1G brought in $759 million for member schools in 2018, or $54.2 million per school. 

In TV revenue alone, that values each scholarship player (54.2M divided by 85) at $637k per year. 

The TV revenue is based off all B1G sports, not just football. UNL has 744 athletes. That is about $73k per athlete. Of course the primary focus is football but I think it as intellectually dishonest to claim a specific value for an individual scholarship as it is to claim they are all identically lucrative.

And to the point, the California bill doesn't require schools to pay their players anyway. I would argue that they should, but that's different than what is happening in California.

I am aware they aren't making schools pay. I'm saying it is the same Pandora's box no matter how the athletes get the money. There is no way to keep dirty money from using this, or realistically any, loophole to corrupt everything. This type of loophole wouldn't even allow for some control within the institutions no matter the intent. No one has any idea how ugly this could get and I would rather not pull the pin on that grenade.

1 hour ago, zeWilbur said:

My point is that these athletes can go to their in-state school, wherever it is, and get a similar education and a similar return. 

And that revenue is, by far, driven by football TV deals. A small amount is driven by men's basketball, but overall most is football money.  A player, risking their health, deserves a cut. And if that means cutting other sports, so be it.

• Plus1 1

I have always been 100% on board with paying players.  The system now is just a joke and should not be legal.  Everyone that acts as if benefits are the same as a wage go to your employer now and tell them to stop paying you and just pay you with training(that you also have to do on top of your current job).  Add into that how its a 99% chance you will sustain an injury and possible that you will never fully recover from it.  

They are the product and the whole reason the schools make money for the sport. Give them their percentage. Dont pay your servants because it will ruin the integrity of the money they make for you? Give me a break man

Headline: “Illinois legislator introduces bill to let college athletes be paid, saying he wants to stay competitive with California”

It’s on! The new Gold Rush! Everybody racing out to the gold strike fields of green (or synthetic turf). Everybody gets rich this time. Players make some bucks, major college football gets bigger, networks keep bidding contracts higher, more television timeouts and advertising. Only the fans will lose out... again.

4 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Headline: “Illinois legislator introduces bill to let college athletes be paid, saying he wants to stay competitive with California”

It’s on! The new Gold Rush! Everybody racing out to the gold strike fields of green (or synthetic turf). Everybody gets rich this time. Players make some bucks, major college football gets bigger, networks keep bidding contracts higher, more television timeouts and advertising. Only the fans will lose out... again.

Why will players making money cause the fans to lose?

I mean these guys are putting their bodies on the line, many getting injuries that will last the rest of their lives.  What's wrong with them striking while the iron is hot and getting paid what they are worth?

Interesting idea, I assume if CA gets into this anyone hiring players will be subject to the rules of the equal pay act and fair pay legislation, and with the new CA laws on independent contractors employers better watch out if they want to consider an athlete as a contract employee.   

I think Nebraska should legislate football rules all NCAA games must adhere to when played in the state (seeing as States not the NCAA set rules now I guess).  Perhaps a 5 Mississippi Count before the defense can rush (could have used it last week) .  

32 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Why will players making money cause the fans to lose?

I mean these guys are putting their bodies on the line, many getting injuries that will last the rest of their lives.  What's wrong with them striking while the iron is hot and getting paid what they are worth?

I think it’s  less about them getting paid and more about fans selfishly knowing this will be the end of college football as we know it. I’m one of the selfish ones. 

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I have always been 100% on board with paying players.  The system now is just a joke and should not be legal.  Everyone that acts as if benefits are the same as a wage go to your employer now and tell them to stop paying you and just pay you with training(that you also have to do on top of your current job).  Add into that how its a 99% chance you will sustain an injury and possible that you will never fully recover from it.  

They are the product and the whole reason the schools make money for the sport. Give them their percentage. Dont pay your servants because it will ruin the integrity of the money they make for you? Give me a break man

Sure, go to your boss and tell them that the free food, housing, cutting edge training facilities, top tier coaches/trainers, full time nutritionist, and 'job training' for the your life goals simply don't count because it isn't cash in hand. Except a living stipend which is cash but still doesn't count because it isn't enough... apparently.

My problem isn't that you don't think it's fair, the problem is that your argument is completely dismissive of the other side and it is condescending. 

If you wanted to make an argument about some arbitrary amount needing to be met and having the school/booster/bagman make up the difference from what they already get we can have a great conversation around it. But it seems some want to take a match to the whole thing to get to something they think is "fair". Some of us disagree.  

• Plus1 1

We should go ahead and hire a marketing/agent guy in the athletic department to bring local businesses and players together.  You could probably film about 50 players for a 1 second spot at the end of a car dealer commercial in less then a day and pay the players $20K each.  That will help with recruiting.