Husker Football in a World Of Paying Athletes

On 10/2/2019 at 7:19 PM, zeWilbur said:

Every major sports manages by having a single centralized power and players with collective bargaining. To accomplish that you would need every P5 and G5 school to give up whatever their specific benefits are so the NCAA can redistribute it in a 'fair' manner a la NFL, MLB, NHL. It would very likely take care of your concerns. However, you already feel that the NCAA is "unbelievably corrupt and greedy". I am not disagreeing at all. So the answer is giving them more power?

Couldn’t the P5 just dump the NCAA and form their own governing body?

18 hours ago, iLoveLamp said:

Couldn’t the P5 just dump the NCAA and form their own governing body?

Sure. I would be on board with the FU-NCAA. The NCAA's spineless inconsistency neutered my faith in them years ago.

Even if you removed the concerns of smaller schools I am not sure how you keep the same issues (corruption, lack of consistency, etc.) from happening. And if you were willing to go that far why not just separate from the schools completely and have a legitimate minor league? I don't want to strawman you but I haven't been able to think of a way to allow for any 'pay the players' type action without creating a best team money can buy scenario. How happy would you be losing indefinitely to Iowa because a T. Boone Pickens type figure emerged and bankrolled them because he "decided" that every player's autograph was worth at least $100k/year? No one in the B1G West (and likely the East) would be able to compete and every year would be a race for second at best. I just don't see that as a field all but 2-3 schools can compete on and would rather not ruin everything in pursuit of it. I am also not sure of which schools it would be but history tells me a few would likely be in Texas.

And to head off the silliness Warren Buffet has already said he will never be that guy for us.

Paying college athletes - whether you are for or against that - is just another case of things in America being fully monetized. What SHOULD be monetized? Things like a pay check. I trade you my time and effort and knowledge and you give me back something of value. That works all around. Or, you go into a store and buy something you want and you hand them something of value in return that they can use likewise. 

But of course, things didn’t stop there. Other things got monetized. Here’s just one to think about. Have you ever thought about how much of your time is wasted watching television commercials? During the course of just one TV hour or one football telecast, the amount of time wasted is frightening. Is anyone paying you for your valuable time that you only get so much of in this life? Advertisers pay a network something of value to spread their slanted idea of why you must buy their product. The TV station gets their money. Ad people get their slant out. Ever think about how many types of commercial products you see ads for and what percentage of these result in something you actually buy? Won’t even get to 10 percent of the total ads you see. More of your time wasted. 

Point is, your time was monetized for everyone else (the ad men/women and the networks) who make their money off it, but you get nuthin’. Nothing but, another boatload of commercials during the next football game.

College athletes supposedly got the value of a “good education” in a trade for their time and likeness-usage. That’s partially true. But it was an unfair trade. The networks and advertisers (and others) who make lots of money off of you got way more out of the deal than you did. Paying college athletes is simply a way to try to create a more level field (well, field in more than one way).

Paying college athletes is going to have a big impact on the game. Adjustments all around will have to be made. But the overall system will adapt, and after five years nobody will even notice this anymore.

2 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

But of course, things didn’t stop there. Other things got monetized. Here’s just one to think about. Have you ever thought about how much of your time is wasted watching television commercials? During the course of just one TV hour or one football telecast, the amount of time wasted is frightening. Is anyone paying you for your valuable time that you only get so much of in this life? Advertisers pay a network something of value to spread their slanted idea of why you must buy their product. The TV station gets their money. Ad people get their slant out. Ever think about how many types of commercial products you see ads for and what percentage of these result in something you actually buy? Won’t even get to 10 percent of the total ads you see. More of your time wasted. 

Point is, your time was monetized for everyone else (the ad men/women and the networks) who make their money off it, but you get nuthin’. Nothing but, another boatload of commercials during the next football game.

You get a TV show, free of charge excepting for your time watching the commercials.  Anything you watch without commercials costs you somewhere, whether it's a subscription or an internet connection charge.

I'm not necessarily against college athletes getting paid by private businesses for the use of their name and likeness.  I'm sure we have volleyball players that could earn some extra money around here.  I'm just not sure Nebraska could compete in the area.

We are a football crazy state with some big boosters, but do you really think we can compete private money-wise with the states of Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan and Oklahoma?  You can probably add in South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and a few others I'm just not thinking of right now. 

We don't have to split the pie like some of the other states I guess, but I believe we would still be at a $ disadvantage just based on population and alumni base.  A couple posters in this thread have mentioned donating, but I bet there are crazy fans in Alabama and Georgia willing to go into poverty to buy a championship. 

I can see this creating a bigger competitive divide.  Again, I'm not completely against college athletes getting paid by private businesses, I'm just not sure it benefits Nebraska.

ETA:  And I'm just thinking about football.  Could be huge money race in college basketball.

• 4 weeks later...

That this was even an issue for so long was wrong. No one should ever have to question or ask for the right to benefit from their own likeness. Or, said another way, why should someone ELSE benefit from your own name, image, and likeness (and in the case of the NCAA and broadcasters, MANY people benefited instead of the athlete).

The whole "getting an education" argument was always a deflection. If anything, that was simply an uneven trade.

• Fire 1

I am opposed to paying college athletes.  I think the NCAA should bar member teams from playing against any school that allows players to be compensated.  

If if players are compensated, sooner or later, student athletes will form unions and hire agents to get more money, work rules, and benefits followed by coaches forming unions.

The other college sports teams will join the unions to get money too.  With the money drain, many schools will run big deficits and education will suffer.   Costs paid by students and sports fans will go up too.  If the teams get paid while using university facilities, shouldn’t the teams be charged for the use of the facilities?

What would stop promoters from hiring their own teams with higher pay- raiding the college teams for the best players?  Then selling their services to the colleges with the most money.  

Would not the best players shop each year for better pay like free agents every year?

Shouldn’t best female volleyball, soccer and basketball players get their cut of the money pot?  It’s only fair to pay them.  

Another source of college revenue loss.  

If if the best players get money or more money, what is morale and psychological issues that will be developed?  The focus will eventually be money and education will demphasized over time.

College sports will eventually become college sports corporation.

If the NCAA thinks the players are being exploited by the college or NCAA, perhaps some rules changes could be made to share likeness revenues by putting money in a blind trust for the players. 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, URSS said:

I am opposed to paying college athletes.  I think the NCAA should bar member teams from playing against any school that allows players to be compensated.  

I agree.  Buckle up, we're headed down a slippery slope.

Don't hold your breath on this one :)

45 minutes ago, URSS said:

If the NCAA thinks the players are being exploited by the college or NCAA, perhaps some rules changes could be made to share likeness revenues by putting money in a blind trust for the players.