Nebraska's return to the BIG XII

Nebraska Back to the Big XII  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would love to get back in that conference again. Those quick drives to Ames and Lawrence and Manhattan. Very nice. And I would love another shot at Texas. They had our number a bit. They benefited from luck during a big part of that. It would be nice to get back in the league and hang a half a hundred on them and exercise the demons a bit.

These are my thoughts every time I see this thread.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

I’d respectfully disagree. I fee this season has proven that.

Are you talking about the culture of the states represented, or the administration of the athletic conference, which suffers collectively under Warren, whose career is likely cooked?

Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio have more in common with each other than they do with Texas. Penn State, Maryland, and Rutgers are also latecomers, but Nebraska is the better fit. Michigan isn't quite the same breadbasket state, but Colorado wasn't, and West Virginia isn't either. 

The Big 10 followed the Pac 12, assuming all the dominos were falling and no one would be blamed for putting the safety of students first.  Then got burned when the rest of college football carried on. When Nebraska and Ohio State got parents and players fighting to save the season, they earned a lot of admirers -- and got their share of s#!t -- but they prevailed. The fact that the Big 10 administrators were publicly embarrassed doesn't mean the conference is a bad fit for the Huskers, and the decision not to let the Huskers go rogue for a game would likely have been the same in another conference.

Also, we're just talking football. Our volleyball team still brings prestige, and the advantage of getting Big 10 research grants outweighs everything. 

• Plus1 9

My personal opinion is the UTC try was just that, an attempt to see if the Big Ten would go for an OOC game if the scheduled game was canceled due to COVID. The higher ups at the University shot their shot, and the Big Ten decided to stick with the plan they agreed upon on the restart (keeping everything in conference). This decision sets a precedence for the rest of the season and if OSU ends up having a game canceled, I hope the conference sticks to their guns.

Its also true that the powers that be have had a lot of egg on their face this season, they were hasty in canceling, but then again there are now two teams that are experiencing outbreaks (Wisconsin and Illinois) after only a week of games.

9 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

If we go back to the Big XII......we'll look like fools! No way in hell I can get behind that thinking! We asked to play, the B1G said no, it's what it is, time to move on! :dunno

Agree.

Has the Big Ten botched some of the response to the pandemic? Yes.

Is there some evidence of conflict behind the scenes between Nebraska and the conference?  Based upon what has gone public, I think that would be the case.

Do we have any idea of how severe this conflict is?  Not at this time.  It could be severe.  It could be just minor run-of-the mill disagreements.  The national media can conveniently use Nebraska as a foil for criticism (like they did during the initial cancelled season period).  Somehow the media has not seen fit to criticize Ohio State in the same way, despite it being quite obvious they want to play.  I think it is a big positive that Ohio State has made some public statements that can be clearly read as supporting Nebraska's position.

Just because you have some disagreements does not mean you run away at the first sign of trouble.  Yeah, Nebraska left the Big XII, but in that case, (unless you want to accuse Osborne of lying), it had more to do with instability of the conference - the aborted Pac-12 romance with Texas/A&M/Oklahoma, which Nebraska saw as a real issue undermining not just the athletic programs but the academic future of the school.  In other words, I don't think "Texas is a mean girl" was the reason Nebraska left the Big XII, as much as many people think it was.  Now many just want to say "Big Ten/Michigan/? are mean girls".  It was pathetic when we left the Big XII, and it is pathetic now.

Am I happy with how the Big Ten has done things the last few months - no.  They've made some major faux pas, since they probably didn't expect a team that had losing records the last 3 years to be so anxious to play.  I doubt Nebraska has been different in their messaging within the private conference meetings than they have been in public.  The fact the Big Ten wasn't ready for that is on them - and I think a big part of why their response has been so (outwardly) confusing at times.

However, does that mean we just run away? I think that would be crazy.

Now, if we end up with a rash of every opponent scheduled to play Nebraska suddenly canceling - then an evaluation of staying becomes more serious, since that would probably imply an actual conspiracy.  Particularly if no other games are canceled for the rest of the teams.  We are a long way from that - and at this point the evidence is still that this is a legitimate cancellation by Wisconsin.  We can revisit after this weekend and see if anything funny starts happening around Northwestern.

• Plus1 2

I thought this was a good read. Sound's like some folks in Colorado are not happy about their conference either. It was nice to read an article from someone you could tell knew the Nebraska history and had respect for it. Any articles about Nebraska from Big Ten country all seem full of resentment and dislike. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/29/cu-buffs-cornhuskers-in-conferences-where-they-dont-belong-kiszla/

42 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I thought this was a good read. Sound's like some folks in Colorado are not happy about their conference either. It was nice to read an article from someone you could tell knew the Nebraska history and had respect for it. Any articles about Nebraska from Big Ten country all seem full of resentment and dislike. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/29/cu-buffs-cornhuskers-in-conferences-where-they-dont-belong-kiszla/

Surprised anyone actually read that. I feel like 99% of the time all anyone cares about is the donkeys here in CO

A lot of Nebraska fans would love to go back to the Big 8.  Some the Big 12.  Personally, I have been to every stadium in the Big 12 for quite a few games.  I have never attended a Big 10 game, other than Nebraska home games.  I would prefer for the history of the program, to be playing teams we have long time rivalries with.  Financially the Big 10 made sense.  Are we truly part of the Big 10?  I don't think we really ever have been.  We as a fan base talked a lot of crap about the Big 10 for years.  Then we joined and we were going to show them what real football was.  Again a lot of talk.  Would the Big 10 be sorry to see us leave, I don't know.  Would the Big 12 be happy to get us back.  I would guess yes.  

It would make being a fan a lot easier to attend away games, which I think are the real part of college football.    

But never forget this is about money, not college football.  So we will remain where we are no matter what the fans think.   I don't think this board represents much of what Nebraska fans think.  

• Fire 1
12 hours ago, skersfan said:

A lot of Nebraska fans would love to go back to the Big 8.  Some the Big 12.  Personally, I have been to every stadium in the Big 12 for quite a few games.  I have never attended a Big 10 game, other than Nebraska home games.  I would prefer for the history of the program, to be playing teams we have long time rivalries with.  Financially the Big 10 made sense.  Are we truly part of the Big 10?  I don't think we really ever have been.  We as a fan base talked a lot of crap about the Big 10 for years.  Then we joined and we were going to show them what real football was.  Again a lot of talk.  Would the Big 10 be sorry to see us leave, I don't know.  Would the Big 12 be happy to get us back.  I would guess yes.  

It would make being a fan a lot easier to attend away games, which I think are the real part of college football.    

But never forget this is about money, not college football.  So we will remain where we are no matter what the fans think.   I don't think this board represents much of what Nebraska fans think.  

I agree. I think most who defend the big ten are more worried about the $$$ than what’s pure about college football. I don’t think the big ten will be on top in tv dollars for long. Other conferences will catch up and negotiate better deals. Plus the next deal we have Kevin warren negotiating not Jim Delaney. 

So once the paycheck is the same everywhere it will be interesting what big ten money lover fans say 

• Thanks 1