*** 2019 Game 6 "Expert" Picks: Northwestern At Nebraska ***

2019 Game 6 “Expert” Picks: Northwestern @ Nebraska

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/nebraska-vs-northwestern-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019

Why Northwestern Will Win

Remember when Nebraska couldn’t stop giving the ball away early last season? It’s even worse this time around. The Huskers gave it up two times or more in seven games last year, including three times in the collapse against the Wildcats. After losing 22 turnovers, how is the offense doing this year? It’s given it up 14 times with three or more in four of the five games. Northwestern needs those mistakes to happen early and often. The defense hasn’t been all that bad overall, but the offense isn’t working even a little bit. The more easy drives, the better. The Nebraska offensive line isn’t doing enough to keep defenses out of the backfield, the offense has been hit-or-miss in terms of consistency, and …

Why Nebraska Will Win

Northwestern’s offense is AWFUL. Yeah, the Huskers might not have the team many were hoping for, and the offense hasn’t been quite as amazing as expected, but before the Ohio State loss, the O was still able to score. Northwestern? It scored 30 on a miserable UNLV team, and hasn’t done anything against anyone else. Eventually, once he’s able to settle down and relax a bit, QB Hunter Johnson will be terrific. But for right now, he’s not able to do much of anything – failing to connect on half of his passes so far with one touchdown pass and four picks. As always, this is a plucky team that finds ways to drag opponents down to its level – witness the way-too-tough-to-put-away fight for Wisconsin last week – but it shouldn’t take more than a few early Husker scores to apply the knockout punch.

What’s Going To Happen

This will be a far cry from the amazing 34-31 thriller Northwestern pulled off to get by Nebraska last year. The Huskers won’t explode, but they’ll do what they need to early on, and the nation’s least-efficient passing game from Northwestern won’t be able to answer. The Wildcats won’t let this get out of hand – and they’ll battle back to make it interesting in the second half after coming up with two takeaways – but they simply won’t have the scoring punch to finish the drill.

Nebraska 30 - Northwestern 20

—————

ESPN FPI

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401112242

Nebraska - 68% Win

—————

DRatings

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-football-predictions/

Nebraska 29 - Northwestern 23

Nebraska - 68% Win

—————

FOX Sports

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/predictions?season=2019&seasonType=1&week=6

Nebraska 31 - Northwestern 30

Nebraska - 56% Win

—————

Bill Connelly SP+

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1179371225396723713

Nebraska - 72% Win

Nebraska 27 - Northwestern 17

—————

Big Red Wrap-Up

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/sports/big-red-wrap-northwestern-prediction-6

Mike’l Severe: Nebraska 26 - Northwestern 24

Jay Moore: Nebraska 31 - Northwestern 21

Sean Callahan: Nebraska 27 - Northwestern 23

—————

More to come...

• Plus1 1

Why Ohio State Will Win

Northwestern’s offense is AWFUL. Yeah, the Huskers might not have the team many were hoping for, and the offense hasn’t been quite as amazing as expected, but before the Ohio State loss, the O was still able to score. Northwestern? It scored 30 on a miserable UNLV team, and hasn’t done anything against anyone else. Eventually, once he’s able to settle down and relax a bit, QB Hunter Johnson will be terrific. But for right now, he’s not able to do much of anything – failing to connect on half of his passes so far with one touchdown pass and four picks. As always, this is a plucky team that finds ways to drag opponents down to its level – witness the way-too-tough-to-put-away fight for Wisconsin last week – but it shouldn’t take more than a few early Husker scores to apply the knockout punch.

Didn't realize Ohio State was playing.

• Haha 3

I thought the first review was a weak analysis. Nothing about NWs ability to pressure Martinez or stop our runners.

I haven’t seen NW at all but I’m guessing we’ll win handily at this point. I think it has more to do with what our guys want than any previous stats or expert evaluations.

Ill check them out when I get time and see if anything about NW changes my mind.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

NW actually outgained Wisconsin last week in yards and had 8 more 1st downs

Yep. A stat that I haven't really heard anybody talking about. 

NW stood there in run fit and just moved towards Taylor, instead of just mindlessly pounding into the line with their linebackers like Michigan did.

1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Little surprised that given our struggles with Northwestern and the game against OSU that everyone is on the Huskers.

I think Nebraska will be motivated but things always get weird there.

I like the matchup but the history definitely complicates things. Fitz has a way of making games close, not just with us.

I wouldn't be surprised if Northwestern's offense comes alive in this game. Huskers seem to always bring out the best in opponents. (Probably more of a knock against the Huskers than anything). 

I expect the Huskers to turn it over two or three times to make it close. Honestly, I'm not sure which team I am picking yet. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1