Where we really are

Great teams - especially in this conference - are built at the line of scrimmage, and that's been the deficiency of Nebraska teams for 6+ years. Unfortunately, that's also the part of a team that takes the longest to improve and develop, and Frost knows that. Our O-Line is really young this year, and it's become obvious that Frost is willing to deal with the growing pains while those young guys develop and learn by playing the position. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Great teams - especially in this conference - are built at the line of scrimmage, and that's been the deficiency of Nebraska teams for 6+ years. Unfortunately, that's also the part of a team that takes the longest to improve and develop, and Frost knows that.

Yep.

When I see a commit like Corcoran coming in - a guy that Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, LSU, and USC went after - I get pretty excited. 24/7 Sports ranks him as a 98% and you can see from his build and his attitude that this kid's gonna be pancaking guys.

Keep 'em coming. Need to recruit & develop a couple of really strong guards now.

I can take losses like last Saturday's when I know we've got these big, strong linemen coming up in the ranks.

• Plus1 5

7 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

This IS the correct analogy with the mostly bare cupboard that this staff inherited. Just the EFFORT you see on the field is an indication of the culture getting turned around. 

Hopefully the guys can turn the corner this year again the way they did last year. One thing I wonder with such a young team is if they have a leader in the room, specifically on offense, that could speak up and demand more from everyone. I think the defense might have a couple guys like that - Mo Barry being one, although his on-field performance hasn't been spectacular so far this year.

1 hour ago, Herbie95 said:

It wasn't 20 years ago since we were competitive.  People need to stop with this talk.  From 2006 through 2012 Nebraska won outright or shared their division 5 of 7 years. From 2013 to present no division titles.  2013 was the end of Nebraska being competitive or building towards anything at all.  Assuming 2019 we don't turn it around enough to win the West then we are 0 for the last 7 seasons.  TO retired, Pelini operated with one foot out the door his last two years, and we hired Riley who was proven inept yet again.  Now the coach of year was hired less then 2 calendar years ago and the ship is slowly turning around.  He started 0-6 (continuing a 10 game losing streak), ended 4-2, and with a win tomorrow will be 4-2 to start season 2.  We have to be patient, this is getting fixed, we are trending up now.  The national media was hyping this team with a cursory review of the situation (as they often do with many teams).  What was the Coach to say to this during the off-season?  I look for 7-5 or 8-4 this year and a bowl victory.  Progress. 

I think I view competitive as being able to compete with anyone in the country. As far as what "competitive" should mean when you are one of the blue bloods in college football history. Which 2009 is really the only time we have competed with a national championship caliber team in probably the 20 years you referenced. BUT we still lost 4 games that year so as great as that 2009 defense was it was still a 4 loss team. So we have not fielded a team that had realistic national championship aspirations for about 20 years. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think I view competitive as being able to compete with anyone in the country. As far as what "competitive" should mean when you are one of the blue bloods in college football history. Which 2009 is really the only time we have competed with a national championship caliber team in probably the 20 years you referenced. BUT we still lost 4 games that year so as great as that 2009 defense was it was still a 4 loss team. So we have not fielded a team that had realistic national championship aspirations for about 20 years. 

True, the last time in the big game was 2001.  Last complete team was 2000 team.  Last top 15 team was 2009 with 2012 the last division winner and team deserving of any top 25 year end ranking.   We are seven years removed from any kind of accomplishment and 18 years from being a top 10 team. 

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Herbie95 said:

True, the last time in the big game was 2001.  Last complete team was 2000 team.  Last top 15 team was 2009 with 2012 the last division winner and team deserving of any top 25 year end ranking.   We are seven years removed from any kind of accomplishment and 18 years from being a top 10 team. 

Well put.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I have hope, but I don't live on it wrt Nebraska football.

Not any more. 

I'll get flamed for saying what I believe about Frost, so I'll just express that I do think we could have a better HC and co-ordinators.  But I'm sick of changing coaches and have accepted that we're a 7 or 8 win maximum program and likely will never dominate much of anything any more. 

It ain't like it used to be.. that two coach 30 odd years of greatness is history.  That's college football.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, husker98 said:

to be honest, that ship is actually turning at a high rate of speed given it size and the short duration of the GIF. The more you know.

Don't bring your truths to a college football board!

Haha it is actually pretty impressive a ship like that can turn even that fast.