Where we really are

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I have hope, but I don't live on it wrt Nebraska football.

Not any more. 

I'll get flamed for saying what I believe about Frost, so I'll just express that I do think we could have a better HC and co-ordinators.  But I'm sick of changing coaches and have accepted that we're a 7 or 8 win team maximum program and likely will never dominate much of anything any more. 

It ain't like it used to be.. that two coach 30 odd years of greatness is history.  That's college football.

I honestly don't know who that coach would be.  Top 10 established coaches aren't coming here to slog through during a rebuild and it is a rebuild.  Devaney built Nebraska and Osborne maintained it and added to the legacy his last 5 years.  But is was built.  This needs to be built but in a world with 85 scholarships instead of the no limits of the Devaney era. 

15 minutes ago, Herbie95 said:

I honestly don't know who that coach would be.  Top 10 established coaches aren't coming here to slog through during a rebuild and it is a rebuild.  Devaney built Nebraska and Osborne maintained it and added to the legacy his last 5 years.  But is was built.  This needs to be built but in a world with 85 scholarships instead of the no limits of the Devaney era. 

I think the problem people are having is that people are conflating a “rebuild” to being a top five program, which yes will take more than a season, to a “rebuild” where Nebraska doesn’t get embarrassed by ranked teams, doesn’t struggle to beat lower level P5 programs (and even poor sun belt teams), and makes progress on ball control and penalties. 

We should be seeing more of that than we are and in my opinion we are behind on it. And it isn’t explained away by “inheriting a dumpster fire” because one of losses was to a first year coach of a program who also “inherited a dumpster fire”

But just because we are behind doesn’t mean we can’t catch up. I just think it does no favors to anyone to justify what we’ve been seeing so far in 2019. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I’m saying Nebraska is behind schedule on their rebuild. Are you saying you’re perfectly fine with where they are at this point?

Is there something I can do to change it if I'm not?

I'd like Mike Riley to have recruited better, especially on the lines of scrimmage.

20 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I’m saying Nebraska is behind schedule on their rebuild. Are you saying you’re perfectly fine with where they are at this point?

I figured we would not be a threat to win the West until next year at the earliest. The Defense lacks the necessary talent (especially at the LB positions), we don't have really good depth, and we have to learn how to play with some consistency. What I DIDN'T figure on is the regression of AM and the struggle to snap the ball halfway into the season. Those two things are surprising to me....

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I figured we would not be a threat to win the West until next year at the earliest. The Defense lacks the necessary talent (especially at the LB positions), we don't have really good depth, and we have to learn how to play with some consistency. What I DIDN'T figure on is the regression of AM and the struggle to snap the ball halfway into the season. Those two things are surprising to me....

I guess I’m not as surprised as some about Martinez struggling. He had moments last year too. He’s a sophomore. I knew it couldn’t happen last year because of depth but I definitely see times he could use a series off and get some coaching. Who knows. 

• Plus1 1

Is the rebuild behind schedule? How far are the Big Red from being “where they should be”. Is Frost getting it done? Is there someone “better” out there? All good questions.

Thing is, these are all about “expectations, wants, desires”, mind games that something HAS to be a certain way. But fact is... things do not “have” to be any certain way. With the Big Red, there were a set of many circumstances that made them the great power they used to be in the 1970s and 1990s. Everything had to come together in just the right ways. And we all rode that wave and had a (heck) of time while doing that. But to have a magic time such as that is like “herding cats”, as the saying goes. You get one thing in line and something else goes. Circumstances change. Things you can’t control comes into the picture. Decision-makers change. Young athletes find other programs they think are a better fit to chase their dreams.

“Where do things stand now”? Many Huskers fans know the answer. A new-ish regime is trying their best to bring back the good times. Husker fans and media are frustrated with how long things are taking to see better results. But frustration will not be the answer to anything. Sure, at some point the guys on the field have to get things done. And decisions will be made in the big offices. But putting a lot of pressure on the players and staff is not going to help them at all or speed things up. These guys already know what needs to be done.

At the start of the season, I was sitting at ZERO confidence that things would be much better in 2019 than what they were in 2018. Yes, we finished with four out of six wins. In that was Ohio State stumbling around and feeling like they had us beat before the game even started. It nearly cost them. Iowa let up on the gas and we rallied. That nearly cost them. One of our wins came against Bethune Cookman. I watched the Michigan State win during the offseason and they had a ton of opportunities to beat us and didn't.

I looked for Nebraska to come out and get some things accomplished on the field. To make me a believer.

That started with taking care of business against South Alabama. I mean 42-3 or something. Get the back ups some time. And we know that didn't happen. South Alabama is 1-5. They're not some great team. They scored a combined 9 points against UAB and Memphis. They scored 21 against us.

A road win at Colorado would have bene great. We couldn't do it. But the Air Force Academy could do it. Ouch.

N. Illinois went as well as I hoped. And, despite a few rough patches, it gave me a small amount of hope. Maybe we were turning a corner. Got the subs in.... but we did play,  "interesting" special teams.

Then Illinois... for the love of God. Horrible. Terrible. Walking backwards. Sprinting backwards. We barely won.

And Ohio State. Just got punched in the face. No push back, at all. Save for the double wing fullback excitement. But that was it. That was all.

Now Northwestern. Will we win? I am hoping. But I am remembering Illinois and South Alabama. And I am worried. I want to believe in Scott, but if we get housed by Northwestern, I am going to start having some bad inclinations about where this is going.

And our recruiting isn't helping. We scored another three star guy today. Up to 12. Ranked 42nd. That's just not good enough.

We heard that Ohio State was ROCK BOTTOM 2.0, but I have to ask, don't you have to go up before you can back down to Rock Bottom. Out of everything that has happened. Not much of it. Almost none. Really NONE. Has given me much hope.

Rant Off.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1