Where we really are

6 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Another class like last years would go a long way. Thus far this group is a little better than the last which was a little better than Scotts first class which was better than anything Riley brought in. Just keep plugging away, I think it will take a big season to break into the top 15. Doing as good as we can thus far though.

Another note; pretty sure we haven't recruited back to back top 20 classes since they really started tracking recruiting rankings

In the recruiting thread, you said they haven't had a three year run like this since they started tracking and I'm pretty sure you're right! So, we're on track to have more talent on this team than we've had in a long time. 

Also, I think UCF's struggles this year just continue to show that we need to give Frost time. It may not be on track or happening fast enough or whatever, but he knows what he's doing. 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, CapoValley said:

Bo Pelini poisoned the well on the way out and he got his money. I think Riley, who was a lame duck getting railed by everyone giving a kid who already  decommitted some advice can be forgiven if Bo can. 

Bo was a hot-headed loudmouth that should have just moved-on,  but I give him a little slack on this because what he said about Perlman's pet weasel Eichorst was dead-on.

It takes time but I must say I figured we would have seen more improvement this year.  It seems the defense is better but the offense looks to have gone backwards.   Like others have said, it all starts with the line, offense and defense both.  I believe Ozigbo is missed too.  He was pretty darn good.

If you want to talk about miracle workers, Bill Snyder had to be one.  KS never was anything, no tradition, probably the worst program in the history of college football but he had some remarkable seasons there.  I wonder what he could have done at Nebraska.

9 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

In the recruiting thread, you said they haven't had a three year run like this since they started tracking and I'm pretty sure you're right! So, we're on track to have more talent on this team than we've had in a long time. 

Also, I think UCF's struggles this year just continue to show that we need to give Frost time. It may not be on track or happening fast enough or whatever, but he knows what he's doing. 

Landlord pointed out 05-07 is technically a bit better, but as I said to him, those classes made up the 09 team so I think we are headed in the right direction talent wise. It will be our first back to back top 20 classes though! 

And actually I just did a bit more research and I think Frosts classes are better. That 05-07 run was boosted by a #8 class that had a .85 average star rating. Right now we are at .8905 

• Plus1 3

Record is the most important, but when thinking future trajectory it’s also important to look beyond the record. I still believe in Frost and think we’ll get better, but I don’t think we are better this season than we were the last 6 games of last season, and that’s disappointing. I expected us to pick up where we left off but it feels like we regressed compared to the last 6 games. 

• Fire 1

I remember when my son and I got clubhouse tickets and were sitting up there in those big wide Kramer seats watching a Riley/Diaco team. 3rd and 8 and our DB'S dropped back 20 yards like they were waiting for a punt. Us and the rich kids behind us were all laughing because we'd never seen anything like that from a Husker team. Boy, those were the days.

I doubt we'll ever get clubhouse tickets again while Frost is the coach.

I wonder how much of the Perlman deepstate is still at Husker HQ?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Record is the most important, but when thinking future trajectory it’s also important to look beyond the record. I still believe in Frost and think we’ll get better, but I don’t think we are better this season than we were the last 6 games of last season, and that’s disappointing. I expected us to pick up where we left off but it feels like we regressed compared to the last 6 games. 

I think we were all expecting/hoping we'd take off this season somewhere near where we ended last year.   But, really, I don't recall many seasons over my 45 years of watching Husker football, when we actually started off a new season where we finished the year before.  There are always new season struggles but typically we see plenty of improvement from game 1 to game 3 or 4 certainly.

'

But, last year's 'perfrect storm' season began so incredibly bad that even the relatively poor play we saw in the second half of the season was so much better, we were expecting too much.   We are now hitting the heart of the schedule and if this year's squad is gong to get things put together and play better (we cannot really be expecting a top twenty team at this point frankly), hopefully today is the starting point.   The team may have some serious confidence issues after struggling and then suffering through last week's horror show.   Let's all try to send out all the positive waves possible and encourage the 'new and improved Huskers' to present themselves today!   Go Huskers!    

• Plus1 2

On 10/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, Herbie95 said:

It wasn't 20 years ago since we were competitive.  People need to stop with this talk.  From 2006 through 2012 Nebraska won outright or shared their division 5 of 7 years. From 2013 to present no division titles.  2013 was the end of Nebraska being competitive or building towards anything at all.  Assuming 2019 we don't turn it around enough to win the West then we are 0 for the last 7 seasons.  TO retired, Pelini operated with one foot out the door his last two years, and we hired Riley who was proven inept yet again.  Now the coach of year was hired less then 2 calendar years ago and the ship is slowly turning around.  He started 0-6 (continuing a 10 game losing streak), ended 4-2, and with a win tomorrow will be 4-2 to start season 2.  We have to be patient, this is getting fixed, we are trending up now.  The national media was hyping this team with a cursory review of the situation (as they often do with many teams).  What was the Coach to say to this during the off-season?  I look for 7-5 or 8-4 this year and a bowl victory.  Progress. 

It's been 20 years since we won anything meaningful. I think people have earned the right to be pissed off.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, FTW said:

It's been 20 years since we won anything meaningful. I think people have earned the right to be pissed off.

Being competitive and winning something meaningful aren’t the same thing. 

No one here can seriously claim the 09 and 2010 team weren’t competitive. We came 1 extra second from winning a CCG in 2009 against a team that went on to the National Championship game. That’s the definition of competitive. 

• Plus1 4
43 minutes ago, Branno said:

No one here can seriously claim the 09 and 2010 team weren’t competitive. We came 1 extra second from winning a CCG in 2009 against a team that went on to the National Championship game. That’s the definition of competitive. 

Should have won in 2010 as well but we managed to s#it that one down our leg too

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, Branno said:

Moral victories are your bar? Mine are championships. We have a huge difference of opinion and that's just fine.