*** Official Northwestern Game Thread ***

Mavric

11 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Farniok should have been a guard since he signed on the dotted line.  A tackle out of necessity, but he’d thrive at guard 

I agree, he looked like a fish out of water on the edge against that OSU all-star. We should thank him for pitching in instead of badmouthing him all the time. I'm sure he's doing the best he can.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Farniok should have been a guard since he signed on the dotted line.  A tackle out of necessity, but he’d thrive at guard 

Agree. He just doesn't need to be an edge guy.

12 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I agree, he looked like a fish out of water on the edge against that OSU all-star. We should thank him for pitching in instead of badmouthing him all the time. I'm sure he's doing the best he can.

Like when Cam Meredith got moved inside because of injuries.....

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The OSU game doesn't mean much in terms of where we're going this year, it's just one game, but it means a lot concerning what we need to be working on. Being content with a style that will beat middle of the pack teams will keep us a middle of the pack team. We can't abandon the passing game, but what we're doing now doesn't scare any OSU caliber teams.
I don't know that I agree with dumbing down the plan just to suit players who can't do the job. I think you're like me and just want to see a legit running game no matter how they explain the reason for it. I'm okay with spreading the field Oregon style with Mills as the lone back and the tackles next to the sidelines if that's what it takes.

I agree. Just win baby!  I liked the wrinkles as DC's will have to game plan for this now. I really like that it was an incredibly bold display of Frost's ability to adapt and scheme.

A solid running game is the difference maker IMO.

• Fire 1

I think there are quite a few comments suggesting Northwestern is just not very good and we 'should' be able to handle them.   But based on their opponents and the final scores alone, one would surely be able to conclude their defense is pretty good.  Nobody is really scoring a bunch and even Wisconsin's power ground attack was pretty much stifled.   If we can core over 30 today offensiviely, we better feel that was our best performance of the year.   Defensively, we need to find ways to make some critical stops and get a couple turnovers to help the offense find the end zone a couple times as well.

As always, penalties, turnovers, field position, blocking and tackling will be critical.  We need a strong, determined TEAM effort.  Our struggles this year, so far, have been TEAM struggles really.   It is not fair to point at Adrian Martinez primarily.  He has played winning caliber football (except for Ohio State anyway).   The O line and RBs and WRs have played well enough for maybe 50% of the snaps.  The D line maybe for 75%.   The LBs and seconday maybe 65%.   Special teams play overall - maybe 65% but 20% of the punts and place kicks were not good.  Kickoffs around 50% or so were OK.  Coverage units have been mostly OK.  

Today, the variosus position groups match up much better physically and athletically so if they play as well as they can play, there is reason to be optimistic.   But it will likely take 4 quarters (not just a fraction thereof) to win!

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think there are quite a few comments suggesting Northwestern is just not very good and we 'should' be able to handle them.   But based on their opponents and the final scores alone, one would surely be able to conclude their defense is pretty good.  Nobody is really scoring a bunch and even Wisconsin's power ground attack was pretty much stifled.   If we can core over 30 today offensiviely, we better feel that was our best performance of the year.   Defensively, we need to find ways to make some critical stops and get a couple turnovers to help the offense find the end zone a couple times as well.

As always, penalties, turnovers, field position, blocking and tackling will be critical.  We need a strong, determined TEAM effort.  Our struggles this year, so far, have been TEAM struggles really.   It is not fair to point at Adrian Martinez primarily.  He has played winning caliber football (except for Ohio State anyway).   The O line and RBs and WRs have played well enough for maybe 50% of the snaps.  The D line maybe for 75%.   The LBs and seconday maybe 65%.   Special teams play overall - maybe 65% but 20% of the punts and place kicks were not good.  Kickoffs around 50% or so were OK.  Coverage units have been mostly OK.  

Today, the variosus position groups match up much better physically and athletically so if they play as well as they can play, there is reason to be optimistic.   But it will likely take 4 quarters (not just a fraction thereof) to win!

Yeah they went toe to toe with Wisconsin until two defensive TDs late. It was 7-3 late in the 3rd. Held UW to 243 yards.

Huskers are likely to have their hands full today.

Northwestern looks like your typical BIG team full of oversized bruisers whose main talent is falling on people. They probably match up well with Wisconsin that has a similar team of road plows except with more skill players.

The Stanford/ Northwestern highlights looks uncannily like us playing them.

8 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Heck with that we need him. We're going to be in a lot of close games in the last 6 and he could be the difference in 1 or 2.

He can play in four games and still redshirt.

We possibly have eight games left, but if he's not even warming up midway through the season, why burn a year of eligibility?

I feel like the kicking game is going to hurt us today. We usually play Northwestern very close and kicking field goals has helped us in the past. We will need to score big to beat them. We also need to eliminate turn overs, penalties, and undisciplined play. I am hoping for a win. I predict 28-24 Huskers win. fingers crossed!

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I feel like the kicking game is going to hurt us today. We usually play Northwestern very close and kicking field goals has helped us in the past. We will need to score big to beat them. We also need to eliminate turn overs, penalties, and undisciplined play. I am hoping for a win. I predict 28-24 Huskers win. fingers crossed!

Blow out or bust!