Cam Mack Feature In OWH

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/fueled-by-mom-s-battle-with-cancer-husker-point-guard/article_f13532e4-dce0-59a3-a2c9-ecc7326b6273.html

Erika Jasper walked into the hospital in Lincoln to see her son, the linoleum floor bright as always, the sanitary smell so familiar.

Cam Mack lay in a bed connected to machines. He’d been throwing up for a week, lost 10 pounds and told her not to come. But of course she would be there. She’s always been there.

Jasper entered the room and Mack remembered all over again. This Crohn’s disease he’d be diagnosed with, it hurt. But pain? This pinching in his stomach wasn’t pain.

For two years, Jasper has lived with breast cancer. Two years she has dealt with it eating away from the inside.

Pain? Pain is thinking about a world without Mom — Mack’s rock, teacher and hero. Pain is not seeing her for nearly a year while he’s in Utah and she’s in treatment.

Which is why when Jasper walked in and hugged her son in that hospital room, Mack forgot about missing Nebraska’s Italy trip and stopped thinking about the pinching in his stomach.

“I could lose my mom at any given moment,” Mack said. “Knowing my mom is fighting, why can’t I fight?”

• Plus1 2